It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Honolulu to move homeless people from tourist hubs into former internment camps/waste dumps.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Honolulu to move homeless people from tourist hubs into old dumps/former internment camps

Well it seems that the tourist industry there, i.e. big corporations/money want the homeless people to be disposed of, ala out of sight out of mind. Hawaii is a very depressed state economically, with most of the economy primarily being tourism. Ever since Obammy's first term when he made the off the cuff comment to corporations not to go to big resorts (the bailout years) they have suffered.

The bills aimed at moving homeless people out of tourist hotspots were approved in a meeting Wednesday. The council was under pressure from the tourism industry. Hotel representatives say visitors complain about safety and defecation. Critics say the proposals will criminalize homelessness. Councilman Breene Harimoto, who voted against most of the bills, says the council is helping the public view homeless people as objects to be swept away. The city also is planning a temporary legal campsite on a remote, mostly industrial island far from resorts, parts of which were previously used as an internment camp and former dump.

I know the article tried to slant public defacation/urinating in on the rationale, but I think people need to look at the fact folks need a place to relieve themselves. Going to the bathroom outside is a LAST RESORT. However, if Hawaii is anything like NYC, they don't allow for public use of restrooms.

The article is very brief but I still had to post it. I find the treatment of America's growing homeless population deplorable. Movng them to a toxic waste dump? What's next, killing them???

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:21 PM
link   
This topic has been posted numerous times here. Not Honolulu though. This is news to me. So far it's been rumors. Now it looks like the MSM is actually telling people.

Somehow I don't think the masses will be too concerned.

First they came for....

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

I know the article tried to slant public defacation/urinating in on the rationale, but I think people need to look at the fact folks need a place to relieve themselves. Going to the bathroom outside is a LAST RESORT. However, if Hawaii is anything like NYC, they don't allow for public use of restrooms.

Good point. I completely agree

edit on 10-9-2014 by minkmouse because: Fixy...Me fixy

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
One of these days we will see suggestions like moving the homeless populations to semi-permanent camp areas.

Then somebody will get the bright idea to allow companies to try simple manufacturing or service staging in those camps.

Watch for this any time now.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Not the first report of similar activity, other sources say L.A. and NC for example, are suspected of sending homeless to camp like facilities. Unfortunately, many will dismiss it because of "FEMA camps" being tied into it. To say the actions will go ignored, until it comes to their town, then it's likely too late. With the growing amount of homeless people it's not something to sweep under the rug nor send them off to other cities to "rid" areas of unwanted locals.

"...approved several measures that ban sitting and lying down on sidewalks in a popular area " reminds me of Santa Cruz mid 00's, California where I was nicely given a threat to be arrested for needing to sit down for a few minutes. Fun times.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:35 PM
link   
a reply to: dreamingawake

I agree. The furthest public concern will go on the subject of FEMA camps actually rounding citizens up will be internet discussions and protests that will be squashed.

By the time it hits the average citizen, no one will be able to help them because as you said it'll be too late.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   
a reply to: ArchPlayer

So go and pick up as many as you can, bring em to your house and care for them.

You obviously care a great deal about this problem so im sure you will be more than happy to take my advice.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Movng them to a toxic waste dump? What's next, killing them???

Pardon me?
Where does the article you quoted say that the homeless facility would be at a toxic waste dump?

www.kitv.com...

edit on 9/10/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:57 PM
link   
What! Free room and board in the nice climate of Hawaii just by acting like a homeless person? Maybe it's time to break out the old clothes and buy a ticket to Hawaii. Hopefully I don't have to live on the streets around all those tourists for too long.
Minds a whizzing, hope they have open WIFI at that camp.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

According to the article linked by Phage, the homeless can bring their own bedding.

It's free, and a health hazard.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Movng them to a toxic waste dump? What's next, killing them???

Pardon me?
Where does the article you quoted say that the homeless facility would be at a toxic waste dump?

www.kitv.com...

from the article

parts of which were previously used as an internment camp and former dump.

unless they were dumping a whole bunch of clean stuff it is fair to assume a dumping ground for waste will be toxic

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Hawaii Dumps

According to this it was used as a dump for ash and solid municipal waste. It was active from 1934-1999.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Here's another former dump:
www.to-hawaii.com...

But tell me, where does the article say that the facility would be on the site of the former dump?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
What! Free room and board in the nice climate of Hawaii just by acting like a homeless person? Maybe it's time to break out the old clothes and buy a ticket to Hawaii. Hopefully I don't have to live on the streets around all those tourists for too long.
Minds a whizzing, hope they have open WIFI at that camp.

do you believe homeless people are "acting like a homeless person"? do you think its fun to be homeless in a resort economy where the lowest house on the housing market costs $500,000? do you realize there is an indigineous population on Hawaii? do you believe the purpose of life is to be a sleazebag as you suggest, or accept that the situation is more complex?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

This site claims it is the site of a former dump. I can't vouch for this site though, I just found it on the net.

Sand Island Camp

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Poppcocked

So go and pick up as many as you can, bring em to your house and care for them.

You obviously care a great deal about this problem so im sure you will be more than happy to take my advice.

so you are saying that if you care about others down on their luck, there is no reason to support a group response to homelessness in the name of CIVILIZATION, communinity caring or responsibility, because you believe hogs are solitary swine?

edit on 11-9-2014 by urmenimu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   
They say they are gonna try to come up with a plan to help the homeless.

Hmm livable wage jobs would fix this problem!

They should build a self sustaining community that grows there own food and manufactures textiles or light industry related to what they can grow. All voluntary and self governed they each get a share of whatever they sell. This absolutely doesn't support capitalism, but how long can we pretend that capitalism is a successful system?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen
One of these days we will see suggestions like moving the homeless populations to semi-permanent camp areas.

Then somebody will get the bright idea to allow companies to try simple manufacturing or service staging in those camps.

Watch for this any time now.

Like clockwork X.
Like clockwork.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:18 AM
link   
a reply to: urmenimu

I could live like a homeless person in a complex like that in Hawaii. I am sure they will have showers.

I have known homeless people in the past, some are just regular people with different wants and desires. Do you really need a house and a car and everything you own to survive and live your life?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Hawaii Dumps

According to this it was used as a dump for ash and solid municipal waste. It was active from 1934-1999.

well fair to say then it is toxic

Municipal Solid Waste (MSW)—more commonly known as trash or garbage—consists of everyday items we use and then throw away, such as product packaging, grass clippings, furniture, clothing, bottles, food scraps, newspapers, appliances, paint, and batteries. This comes from our homes, schools, hospitals, and businesses.

www.epa.gov...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join