It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firefighters Ordered to Get Rid of Their Patriotic Decals

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

(CBS) — Four Maywood firefighters have been relieved of duty for the day, and more could be disciplined Wednesday, for refusing to remove American flag decals from their helmets and lockers.

The four refused to comply with an order issued last week by Chief Craig Bronaugh to remove all stickers from their helmets and lockers. The four drew the line when it came to the flag decals.

A representative from Service Employees International Union Local 73, which represents the firefighters, met for an hour with Chief Bronaugh Tuesday afternoon, with the union hoping Chief Bronaugh would modify his order.

Instead, he ordered the firefighters sent home immediately, pending disciplinary action.

Four Maywood Firefighters Sent Home Over Refusal To Remove American Flag Decals

Also, along with the American flag was a Marine flag that one of the Firefighter's father had on his locker from 30 years ago....

For Illinois firefighter David Flowers Jr., it’s not just a matter of pride and patriotism — it’s a matter of preserving history.

“My dad was a fireman for 26 years in Maywood,” just west of Chicago, Flowers told WFLD-TV. “I took over his locker. And on the outside of his locker I have a Marine Corps decal … it’s been there for well over 30 years, I take great offense to that."

The four firefighters said they were told that the order was issued because of racial discord on the department. The four, who include two white firefighters, a black firefighter, and a fourth firefighter who is a Cuban émigré, said no such problems exist.

One picture that was brought up as being controversial, was taken down over 2 years ago but the chief made it sound like it was recent

Since when is the American Flag found to be offensive? In America?
What country are we living in again???????

Hope these guys win their case!!!!!

Controversy surrounds Maywood Fire Department

Fire fighters Ordered to Get Rid of Their Patriotic Decals. They Refused. Then the Hammer Came Down.

**MODS please move to correct forum...wasn't sure where to put this**

edit on 10-9-2014 by snarky412 because: add source

edit on 10-9-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Huh!
Pardon my french!
But as a firefighter!

" F%#k! Off anyone who ask me to do so!"

Would they like me to remove the patch off my sleeve too!

edit on 10-9-2014 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bigburgh
Huh!
Pardon my french!
But as a firefighter!

" F%#k! Off anyone who ask me to do so!"

I'm behind you 200% on that!!

Well, if you removed your patch, what about the Military??
What a can of worms that will open

edit on 10-9-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:44 PM
link   
a reply to: snarky412

I have high praise for these gentleman for sticking to their beliefs. Should any of them lose their job, I will be a willing donor to support funds established for the families.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:45 PM
link   
So the picture in question he uses as an example to justify this order was posted 10 years ago according to the article

The Maywood fire chief told CBS 2 the order rose out of a need to banish inappropriate messages and gave an example of a photo that could be seen as racist.
A former Maywood firefighter who says that wasn’t the goal when he posted it 10 years ago.
“I cut out a picture of a smoking monkey and hung it on a guy’s locker that I was trying to jam up because of his smoking habit, nothing more” said former Maywood firefighter Michael Hess.

He really couldn't modify the ban to exempt the flag? Apparently patriotism falls into the category of sending "inappropriate messages". Wow.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfpint0701
So the picture in question he uses as an example to justify this order was posted 10 years ago according to the article

The Maywood fire chief told CBS 2 the order rose out of a need to banish inappropriate messages and gave an example of a photo that could be seen as racist.
A former Maywood firefighter who says that wasn’t the goal when he posted it 10 years ago.
“I cut out a picture of a smoking monkey and hung it on a guy’s locker that I was trying to jam up because of his smoking habit, nothing more” said former Maywood firefighter Michael Hess.

He really couldn't modify the ban to exempt the flag? Apparently patriotism falls into the category of sending "inappropriate messages". Wow.

Also, if you think about it, not everything was so politically correct back then, well not as uptight as it is now

Here's the photo in question.....

And it had to do with his buddy smoking.....go figure

But what is sneaky was how the Chief made it seem like it was still there and offensive

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Well there is a father that can't wear his uniform to his daughters school.. per fox news.
Isn't that bad enough?

We're ask to be patriots.
Just don't fly a flag, remove it from helmets or uniforms.
If it's in observance of 9/11....
I just can't.
That day everyone was together as a U.S. citizen.
Fly and wear that flag!

Edit: OK finished the blaze article.
Seems more or less some power hungry Napoleon has his panties in a bunch.

And for that I would still say p!ss off!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

*Sigh*

I miss the days when people had a sense of humor and didn't care about being politically correct.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

They tried to do this to firefighters in Chester, Pa and one told them no and didn't comply. He received so much support the Chief caved and looked like an idiot for even suggesting this. If they stand together, the Chief will fold.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusCrime

They tried to do this to firefighters in Chester, Pa and one told them no and didn't comply. He received so much support the Chief caved and looked like an idiot for even suggesting this. If they stand together, the Chief will fold.

As a PA fire instructor.
I would not support this. Wear that flag.
But please know why you're wearing it!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: OptimusCrime

I'm hoping that is what will happen here

According to one article, the flowers man, who has the Marine logo on the locker, is also the Maywood Firefighter Union President, so we will see

Guess when the DHS placed people who appear overly Patriotic on their 'Watch List', others took it literally and are now worried about it being offensive.....which I call BS on!!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: halfpint0701

*Sigh*

I miss the days when people had a sense of humor and didn't care about being politically correct.

Amen, you and me both!!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   
This bothers me more than anything I've seen posted in some time. Are they out of their flipping minds!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'd be shocked if one tenth of one percent of the population would agree with this. I guess that is who they serve now and to hell with everyone else. The lunatics are most certainly running the asylum.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Thank God for unions, where would they be without one?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Going to Oshkosh next week to look over a new truck.
If my flight is anywhere near this chief.
I drop a doodie.

Edit: aaannd looking at my avatar...I see the irony in it!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   
So firefighters in AMERICA are not allowed to wear an AMERICAN FLAG on their helmets or lockers??

What in holy hell is wrong with people? Has common sense really become so uncommon? Why don't they just go ahead and take the Statue of Liberty down as well? How about removing flags from the White House? I mean... If it's offensive when it's worn by someone who is trying to save your life, in the same country he's displaying the flag for, then it should be offensive there as well. Idiocracy indeed.

I SINCERELY wish that people who complained about these things were put on a list. Why would I want that if I am so anti government?? Because damn it. If these firefighters willingly risk their lives to save people, then maybe those who don't support their patriotism should also not benefit from their services? Its so offensive that maybe burning up in your own home is preferable to having something so sickeningly vile crawl through the smoke to save your dumbass.

Over the top?? Probably. I'm beyond giving a shiite at this point.
edit on 9/10/2014 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

Thanks

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Will any of these meetings that I'm sure will happen with their union reps be recorded? I bet things would get pretty heated. My friend just became our union rep and he's stressing constantly. I can't imagine dealing with this touchy subject. And My best friend fights forest fires. I wonder if they try that where he is? Any drop of moral in the fire fighting ranks just seems like a cruel joke. Any unoccupied engines may be the end of neighborhoods ablaze. Who to call after that?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Update:

Maywood Firefighters Allowed To Return To Work, Decal Dispute Still Unresolved

The four Maywood firefighters who were “relieved of duty” for part of a shift this week – after they balked at the chief’s order – will now be allowed to go back to work and won’t lose pay, says the fire chief.

But still not resolved: what stickers the firefighters may be allowed to post on their lockers and helmets.

Chief Craig Bronaugh says he ordered those stickers taken off – so everything would be uniform, and now he says department-issued flag stickers will be posted on every locker.

But on the eve of the 9-11 anniversary, telling firefighters to remove their own American flag decals didn’t sit very well.

“I do feel offended. I do feel upset, and I do feel hurt,” said firefighter Jesus Aguire, a veteran.

“So people might think it’s just a sticker. But to me, it’s more than a sticker. This is what I fought for and what a lot of other soldiers – thousands of soldiers, fighting for this country,” Aguire says.

Hope they get to keep their stickers too!!

edit on 11-9-2014 by snarky412 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: LDragonFire

Thank God for unions, where would they be without one?

You don't need a union for people to stand together. If every firefighter put the flag on their locker the chief would look like a moron and shut his useless trap.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join