It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europa - Black or White or Grey?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I believe the concept under all the EU construction is not a party-political one, as well as it is not, also, an ideological substrate.

As we know, the genesis of the EU is founded on the need to keep the different states and their powers balanced and under controlled, as a way to prevent war in Europe and, necessarily, in the world.

Nowadays, European Union and the European Communities (which are two different things) have a much more large set of competencies, which, at the beginning, were transferred from the member-states to the created entities (Parliament, Commission, Council, European Council, and the Tribunal), through the treaties (Treaty of Maastricht, which creates the European Union, and the Treaty of Rome, which creates the European Communities).

The common economical achievement was the start point of this experience, however, nowadays, it is far way above the level of integration. It seems like if the organisms created by the treaty have, really, absorbed the natural sphere of sovereignty from the member-states, stretching the powers of the member-states who created the institutions.

More than an economical goal, the communities legislate over a larger number of matters, such as environment, commerce, and industry. The powers of the institution and the law emanated from them are supra statal powers aiming to harmonize the differences among the 25 member-states, which is light-up with the European Citizens representation on the parliament.

The proof that there are a much larger parties, and ideologies, working in the process, and not a mainly one overwhelming all the others came with the voting process of the last EU Commission: the parliament, recently composed by representatives of 25 member-states, in a total of around 730 deputies, would not have approved the commission even if a party-ideology had the majority of the votes. The small parties had an extremely important word to say, and the EU system proved to be fair enough to the social and ideology minorities, which conquered their space in the parliament.

It is true that some member-states have a more powerful ascendant over the other; usually the larger countries over the smaller countries, and we might question if there is no possibility that those countries try to gain advantage. I believe this might happen. However, even then smaller countries may have a preponderant role, once their decision, many times, can block an entire process, and stop the �dark� intentions of the other large countries.

Do you think it is being taken a dangerous path in which concerns to the economical and, even, social safety and stability of the world as a consequence of european union and communities political options?

[edit on 6-12-2004 by Falkner]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Falkner
It is true that some member-states have a more powerful ascendant over the other; usually the larger countries over the smaller countries, and we might question if there is no possibility that those countries try to gain advantage. I believe this might happen. However, even then smaller countries may have a preponderant role, once their decision, many times, can block an entire process, and stop the �dark� intentions of the other large countries.

- Undoubtedly there will always be some sort of grouping on particular issues, I doubt whether they would ever become actual alliances within the EU.

I see fluid convergences.....but then IMHO that is the point of it all; we are all slowely moving in a fluid dynamic movement towards convergences of various kinds whether they be economic, political or cultural....we cannot help this nor should we try to in my opinion, we are people of an inter-twinned and shared 'line' with far too much in common to stop it anyway.

Do you think it is being taken a dangerous path in which concerns to the economical and, even, social safety and stability of the world as a consequence of european union and communities political options?

- No, quite the opposite.
It's my view the world is a much safer and more stable place because of the existance of the EU.

Interesting piece Falkner, there a lot here I would agree with very much.

join