It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

DHS will ask stores to watch customers’ buying habits for terrorist clues

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: minkmouse
1984 is just late...But it made it just the same!

Yep. Soon you'll have to report what groceries you buy. Maybe take a picture of them in the kitchen.

Until they install the cameras in your house.

Seriously, though... this is just going to make people more suspicious of others. How long until fights happen because of this? Someone buys something "suspicious", the owner/clerk decides to "handle" it and... yeah. Bad idea. How about the government doing their job and finding the real terrorists?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:44 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

So everyone who owns a pressure cooker is now a possible terrorist. But they abbreviate this in their literature.

It states that: Anyone owning a PC is a possible terrorist and is capable of using it to create bombs. Actually that is a relevant statement if you have internet service..

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: solarstorm
I'm Arabic...Does the terrorist list include people who buy pita bread and hummus?

That would be racist somehow.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Guys, you make me want to show you this pin i got at a car show...but it's against TC because of a certain symbol

I will tell you though it equates DHS to Nazis and says Zig (sic, supposed to be Sig) Heil

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:16 PM
link   
They say you can do almost anything with duct tape, so should I be alarmed if I see someone buying duct tape by the box? They might be trying to use it as a bomb, again because you can apparently use duct tape for anything. Seriously though this is just dumb. This will be one of those things like the TSA and airport "security." The cost increases, the inconvenience, and suffering of the average citizen will not be justified by the "plots" that are actually stopped. So you will have thousands of people who must be investigated as a result of something like this, and not one of them will turn out to be a terrorist. So it seems to me that the government will be "terrorizing" the citizenry by treating a mom who buys a pressure cooker to cook chicken like a terrorist. Cops will show up at her house, or the government will monitor her. And for what? To stop something that has an extremely low likelihood of ever happening? Like I've said before, I'll keep my rights and privacy and take my chances with the terrorists.

This does not mean nothing should be done about terrorism. What it means is that those responsible for stopping it should simply perform their jobs better, instead of saying "hey peoples, you have to do this and this because of terrorists. I know it is an inconvenience, or sometimes more, but ya know...terrorists." Give me a freaking break government, is what I say.

That is not to mention the fact that people will start reporting anyone and everyone, especially if they don't like them. And nothing can really be done about frivolous reports, as all the person has to do is follow the person to the store and see if they buy something on the list...which is probably pretty easy to do, and I'm sure many people buy something on the list everyday. Things have gotten so out of hand it is ridiculous. None of these security measures are justified. Even if terrorist attacks occurred more frequently instead of once a decade, these security measures would not be justified in the least. The Founding Fathers warned us about giving up liberties under the guise of security, and that warning has never been more important than it is now. But there is not much the people can do about it to be honest.
edit on 9/10/14 by JiggyPotamus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: LukeDAP

originally posted by: minkmouse
1984 is just late...But it made it just the same!

Yep. Soon you'll have to report what groceries you buy. Maybe take a picture of them in the kitchen.

Until they install the cameras in your house.

Seriously, though... this is just going to make people more suspicious of others. How long until fights happen because of this? Someone buys something "suspicious", the owner/clerk decides to "handle" it and... yeah. Bad idea. How about the government doing their job and finding the real terrorists?

Store debit card or bonus points card does that for you

It's called Big Data and Data Mining.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CatrionaBeldame
Thank you for sharing. I'd been planning to buy a pressure cooker to use it for what it's actually supposed to be meant for.
I wonder what other products are on that list.

The Constitution most likely.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

I was going to buy some cheese and maybe some steaks tomorrow. And things for salads.

Maybe a can of tuna.

That still okay?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: beezzer

I was going to buy some cheese and maybe some steaks tomorrow. And things for salads.

Maybe a can of tuna.

That still okay?

Depends on what you mean by--things for salad--
Is that some kind of code or what?

BTW, didn't know rabbits liked tuna.....maybe that's just a cover too

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412

Maybe a can of tuna.

That still okay?

Cucumbers, onions, greens, nails. . . . you know, "things for a salad.

It is. Rabbits are corprophagic, by the way, want a raisin cookie?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: snarky412

Maybe a can of tuna.

That still okay?

Cucumbers, onions, greens, nails. . . . you know, "things for a salad.

What's raisin cookie code for?
edit on 10-9-2014 by This1000xThis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: yourmaker

They absolutely try to keep the population strictly Dem or GOP. There was a huge, out in the open exercise in this recently.

Did you miss the Tea Party? The party within a party? After Bush many Republicans were running to the Libertarian party and other parties so the Tea Party was invented. It tricked many of the GOP leaving into thinking they were voting for something different even though they were still essentially voting GOP and would still be voting the same GOP presidential candidate in.

It was a dandy scam.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: beezzer

Uh - nah, think I'll pass

Don't eat too many nails on your salad, they may be high in iron content plus hard to er, digest *cough*

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

If they ban ductape, how are men and Red Green supossed to fix things!

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheToastmanCometh
a reply to: JiggyPotamus

If they ban ductape, how are men and Red Green supossed to fix things!

Twine/paracord?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   
They can't track what one does not buy.

I wonder if they even consider that maybe a real terrorist would simply steal the items they need to avoid detection.

I just feel like these lists are another scare tactic and many are stupid enough to fall for it. The police state loves to have a reason to poke their heads around private property.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Doesn't anybody remember the thread where a couple got a visit from 6 anti terrorism men?
Here it is:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Supposedly the wife googled pressure cookers and the husband googled backpacks in the same time frame and were then visited by six men from an anti terrorism joint task force group.

It actually turns out that the husband googled pressure cooker bombs and backpacks at work but still he was alerted to the authorities by his workplace!

Oh yes and here is an interesting snippet from this link on the thread:
www.thewire.com...

One hundred times a week, groups of six armed men drive to houses in three black SUVs, conducting consented-if-casual searches of the property perhaps in part because of things people looked up online.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:21 AM
link   

DHS is in dreamland with this crap. Really? The friggin cashier at Wal-Mart is going to prevent terrorist attacks now? They barely acknowledge the customer to begin with. To expect to have them paying enough attention to detect buying habits is laughable.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   
a reply to: Urantia1111

I remember one time I got profiled at Wal-Mart, I will admit I was looking rough after spending some time on a sailboat and taking the city bus around town to get some supplies. So I had a full back pack and a scruffy beard. Unless I have to I do not like buy anything from Wal-Mart and I was at this one because it happened to be at a bus transfer stop and I had about 30 min to burn until the next bus.

As I walked around and can feel the eyes. Then they make their encrypted message of the PA to watch a suspicious person(ME!). I really don't like being watched so I figure I'd give them something to watch so I grab stuff, look around, put my hands in my pockets to see if they have the balls to confront me based on their profiling.

Considering I also was carrying a firearm I was interested to see the reaction of their security guards if they confronted me.

I actually don't think I bought anything, maybe a Mt. Dew but they usually charge way too much and I am poor and stingy. No one confronted me but one of the workers put a covert camera on a stick right in my face to get my mug shot while pretending to being doing some sort of odd job. I was tempted to grab it but didn't want to get confrontational and be in a situation where I looked like the aggressor.

Being profiled upsets me.

Boycott Wal-Mart!

edit on 11-9-2014 by jrod because: grammarrrr

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:45 AM
link   
I'll be watched because of all the chemical's, fertilizer, knives, black gloves, mask, apron's, "pressure cookers", mixers, and more. LOL All because of my gardening and cooking "habits" LOL Sadly, I pay with cash a lot and I take my time with gardening and cooking.

Next thing you know, they'll want people to watch anyone buying a real "Habit." LOL Watch out Nun's, and muslems. LOL Your habits will be next. LOL

This is ridiculous though. I worked in retail for years. There's no real way to spot a terrorist, or a nut job. Unless you get a really bad feeling about them, but what do you say about that? "Uh-I have a bad feeling about you and can't let you buy this stuff..." You can't deny an adult from buying things. Now if they don't have a license for certain items, that's a different story. But most items, like the stuff the Boston B's had, you can outright buy. And no terrorist is going to buy anything in the immediate area of use, buy things all together, or even look like a terrorist. They'll act like an average person. They'll talk about what their using the items for. Like, gardening, farming, having an infestation...And be cool, calm, and friendly. The only people I have caught are thieves. The do the samething to keep your .attention away from their friend who's trying to knock off the store. .But they aren't good actor's, well some are to some people. LOL

Sorry this was long. Sometimes I go off on a small tangent. LOL

Everyone.
edit on 11-9-2014 by ICallGhosts because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join