It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DHS will ask stores to watch customers’ buying habits for terrorist clues

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The Department of Homeland Security is at it again with the terrorist warnings.

They are issuing a new "guidance" to retail stores that will give advice on how to spot a terrorist by buying habits.

Naturally, they mention pressure cookers.

I imagine now retail stores will have to train people for this.

Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson said his department will be issuing new guidance to retailers this week giving them pointers on how to spot potential terrorists among their customers by looking at what they’re buying.

While saying the government cannot prohibit sales of some everyday materials, Mr. Johnson said retailers should be trained to look for anyone who buys a lot from what he described as a “long list of materials that could be used as explosive precursors.”

DHS will ask stores to watch customers’ buying habits for terrorist clues

We Are Warned

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Oh brother.

“We can’t and we shouldn’t prohibit the sale of a pressure cooker. We can sensitize retail businesses to be on guard for suspicious behavior by those who buy this kind of stuff,” Mr. Johnson said during a question-and-answer session after a speech at the Council on Foreign Relations.

A pressure cooker? Really?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Whew, good thing I already own two different size pressure cookers. Oh oh, now the DHS knows I own two of these.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:41 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

How about DHS do something useful and spend all that time and energy ...securing the border.

Na....makes too much sense.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:46 PM
link   
I have a pressure cooker with tubes and hoses attached

I use it for cold smoking cheese

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:51 PM
link   
DHS is staffed and run by idiots who wouldn't know how to identify a real terrorist even if they were given a 10 day tour inside Iran or Syria. So instead, they figure they might get lucky by pure chance if they ask citizens who manage Walmart's to do the work..

This is the OBAMA administration and his Tsars though.. They would be better suited to just sit in a corner and play with FIsher-Price toys...

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Wow, figures. What I concluded yesterday that TSA like procedures will come to shopping soon enough throughout the West. Nothing is shocking now. Even if you pay with cash but use a store rewards card(with honest personal details), that's where they'll track you.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: ValentineWiggin
Oh brother.

“We can’t and we shouldn’t prohibit the sale of a pressure cooker. We can sensitize retail businesses to be on guard for suspicious behavior by those who buy this kind of stuff,” Mr. Johnson said during a question-and-answer session after a speech at the Council on Foreign Relations.

And the Council of Foreign Relations? Really?
edit on 10-9-2014 by ecapsretuo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: ValentineWiggin

They make good bombs.

I'm sure the 'guidance' is no different than what retailers are already doing. Remember the dad who found out that his daughter was pregnant because Target told him? Yeah. Not anything that isn't already happening.

Target Figures Out Teen Girl Is Pregnant Before Her Father Does, Sends Helpful Coupons

In Target’s case, it all comes down to your Guest ID number tied your credit card, name, and other info, which saves all kinds of data about what you buy. Statistician Andrew mined that data and saw patterns in it, for example — women on baby registries buy larger amounts of unscented lotion around the beginning of their second trimester. Bam! Send’em some coupons for other baby items.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I wonder if they try to keep people democrat or republican strictly.

the ISIS threat, the cartel threat, the race war threat, faction split threat

They are basically saying keep an eye out for any waning from the mainstream party politics

If you want a new party (direction for the country), you need the funds and physical manpower to support your cause.
Which are made up of normal people who would be the ones buying these things.

there is a potential long-term threat

From their own people who would like to see the systems fundamentally altered

government should be looking for patterns in someone’s travel or purchasing that raise questions

Already spying on your network/cell habits, next your movements and what you own

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I'm gathering if you buy anything related to Duck Dynasty or canned foods and the like, you're somehow on a list?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I'm Arabic...Does the terrorist list include people who buy pita bread and hummus?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   
1984 is just late...But it made it just the same!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
DHS is staffed and run by idiots who wouldn't know how to identify a real terrorist even if they were given a 10 day tour inside Iran or Syria. So instead, they figure they might get lucky by pure chance if they ask citizens who manage Walmart's to do the work..

This is the OBAMA administration and his Tsars though.. They would be better suited to just sit in a corner and play with FIsher-Price toys...

Thank you for this post!! You just stated PERFECTLY what I have been feeling miserable about all day

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Thank you for sharing. I'd been planning to buy a pressure cooker to use it for what it's actually supposed to be meant for.
I wonder what other products are on that list.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Whew, good thing I already own two different size pressure cookers. Oh oh, now the DHS knows I own two of these.

I'm sure there are probably plans in place to maintain a national register of pressure cookers. Failure to notify the authorities of a change of address will result in forfeiture and a ban on being allowed to cook beef curry, vegetable tamales or teriyaki chicken.

Better not move to a new apartment and buy sandwich boxes, duck tape, alarm, electric wire, clocks, boxes of nails and batteries at the same time.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

I'm sure there are probably plans in place to maintain a national register of pressure cookers.

They build that database from the warranty cards.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

They spent 2 years watching the Boston Marathon bombers, a lot of good that did

Soon, they'll have magnetic strips on pressure cookers so when the clerk zaps it to demagnetize the strip, it will probably send an alert to DHS

Guess that fits into the 'See Something, Say Something' crap, about watching people who pay with cash

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

Better not move to a new apartment and buy sandwich boxes, duck tape, alarm, electric wire, clocks, boxes of nails and batteries at the same time.

That would be bad enough, but what if you've just moved into a new house and need to fertilize the lawn, too?

Home Depot employees are now DHS goons de facto. And they're not even being paid for it. Typical. Outsourcing the oppression of the citizenry to the citizens themselves.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:53 PM
link   
God forbid anybody pay with CA$H too ... Fatherland Security will be waiting to give them a rectal exam by the time they leave the store!

<<   2  3 >>

join