It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Royal Bank Of Scotland To Relocate To London If A " Yes " Vote.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 06:17 PM
link   
a reply to: eletheia

Yes it could be and there are many unknowns in this because we won't know until we do vote for independence, so yes there is an element of risk involved we are aware of that. It's whether we feel it's worth the risk to take so we can decide our own future.
Me personally I'm willing to take that risk because for the 36 years I've been on this planet I've never had a government that has acted in the interests of me and a vast majority of my fellow citizens. I am sick of being pulled into illegal wars for multinational interests or being governed by a bunch of pedophile scum or having banks bailed out using taxpayers money while the poor get demonised for being dole cheats and the disabled get services cut in the name of austerity, all of this while the banks who were bailed out give themselves nice fat bonuses.
I'm voting because just maybe we can build a just and moral society that looks after the needs of the people and not cater to the wealthy.
I see it as an incredible opportunity to make real change to the systems of power that govern us and that's why I'm voting yes.
We know it's not going to be easy but I believe in the resourcefulness of the Scottish people and have faith that we will make a good go of it. May I ask where you stand in this debate?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 07:17 PM
link   
a reply to: mclarenmp4

Whether its a YES or NO win in this or any other election/referendum

anything up to 49% of people (if indeed they voted) are going to be

aggrieved. That's life .... you cant please all of the people all of the

time.

Do you honestly believe that, even IF you get the result you want,

that the 'new' politicians will be any better than the previous??

There is something in the psyche of people who hold power ......

Power corrupts. And nice moral people never get into those positions

because they don't or cant lie, it goes against their principals ... 'Status Quo'

Good Luck with your 'Idealism' of a better and fairer life ... I remain a cynic

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: AngryCymraeg

I am Cymraeg. So I hate the fecking English.

Then you are a racist.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   
a reply to: AngryCymraeg

pleaee define the CONTEMPORARY difference between " Scottish " and " English "

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Very well said. No sensible person believes independence would magically resolve all our problems. But at least it would give us the opportunity to try. I am willing to take the risks with hope for a better future rather than give up and accept this is as good as it gets.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn
The union was to all intents a purpose a hostile takeover. Troops stationed at the border a blockade on trade and outright bribes to the government.
Scotland was nit as often stated bankrupt however a significant number of the nobility were. In terms of government debt England was much worse off than Scotland with a huge war debt.
The vast majority of the population in Scotland and I believe England as well were against the union.
Don't think this is relavent in current referendum debate but interesting historically

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:04 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi
Apologies I thought the you post was in reply to something else. You are right that in UK parlinent has total sovereignty and can amend the constitution as it likes. One more reason to vote yes.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

Whether its a YES or NO win in this or any other election/referendum

anything up to 49% of people (if indeed they voted) are going to be

aggrieved. That's life .... you cant please all of the people all of the

time.

Do you honestly believe that, even IF you get the result you want,

that the 'new' politicians will be any better than the previous??

There is something in the psyche of people who hold power ......

Power corrupts. And nice moral people never get into those positions

because they don't or cant lie, it goes against their principals ... 'Status Quo'

Good Luck with your 'Idealism' of a better and fairer life ... I remain a cynic

You're arguing semantics here. The referendum is about power, power to an iScotland. After a yes vote in the referendum there would be a parliamentary election. How is this any different to any of the other past general elections in Scotland in terms of outcome?

Regardless of the outcome and who is agrieved after a parliamentary election in an iScotland, at least it would be a government WE voted for. How can that possibly be a bad thing for goodness sake!!!??

And btw, (going slightly off topic) i currently have the tv on. The media bias is out of control, not impartial in the slightest. No wonder people have attitudes similar to yours. It's common knowledge that fear controls and your thoughts are clearly controlled.
edit on 12-9-2014 by helldiver because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:17 AM
link   
a reply to: helldiver
I think it is hard for people outside Scotland to realise how biased the coverage is and how negative the no campaign has been.even most no voters I know acknowledge this and are voting no for perfectly valid personal reasons and just ignoring the media and campaign.
I do worry that the fear factor has been layed on so thick it might just swing too many undecided against voting yes.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Snarl

originally posted by: Snarl
If I were voting ... I'd be voting for an independent Scotland.

It's just money.

It's just your freedom.

Did Iceland sink into the North Atlantic?

I'm not sure that you understand the financial, legal and constitutional headaches that would emerge as the rest of a 'Yes' vote.

LOL That sounds so scary.

The only people who are scared of free Scots are the English

Woah there! I'm English and I'm all in favour of an independant Scotland. If you can break away from the idiots in Westminster then good on ya!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:36 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

Exactly. Even the news readers themselves are at it! Was watching Skys Kay Burley in Edinburgh the other day reacting with faux astonishment to anyone who was pro independence, she was laying it on really thick.

Apparently the BBC have told the presenters of the proms not to mention the referendum incase it comes across as bias:

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Hilarious!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 02:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Alekto

Then you are a racist.

And you are someone who failed to read on to the bit where I apologised. Twice.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 05:46 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

I think it is hard for people outside Scotland to realise how biased the coverage is and how negative the no campaign has been.

Not really mate - I witnessed at first hand the MSM bias against a N.E. Assembly back in 2004.
It was an amazingly one-sided affair despite it allegedly having the support of the government of the day.

Its interesting to see that in light of the publicity surrounding the Scottish referendum there is now growing support for increased devolution to the regions including the North East.

I suspect its the only way we are going to break away from the London centric nature of UK politics and society, preferably within some sort of Federal like framework.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:13 AM
link   

I like the fact that they are now facing up the things like the "West Lothian Question" etc, but I am not so keen on devolution for devolutions sake, especially when it breaks up England into "regions". My personal preference would be to move the Capital or have a separate English Parliament away from Westminster.

The only reason I dislike "regionalisation" is that it will only really increase bureaucracy, while making strategic decisions even harder to implement because of more hands in the pot. I also dislike the fact that many of "regions" are quite arbitrary - if they were to follow this model, I'd prefer they use the old Kingdoms from the Heptarchy - at least then the regions would be bound by geography and history and not some line in a field drawn by a Whitehall penpusher, so you're "North East" - it sounds so generic and bland - would become Northumbria. Where I live would become Wessex etc - at least then it plays into people's sense of tradition.

Anyhoo, I digress....

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: stumason

My personal preference would be to move the Capital or have a separate English Parliament away from Westminster.

As things stand I'd agree to all of that.

But personally I'd like to see a N.E Assembly dealing solely with N.E. issues and promoting N.E. interests.
I suspect an English parliament would marginalise the N.E. nearly as much as Westminster does.
But I think it'd definitely be an improvement on the current system.

I do like the thought of resurrecting the old Kingdoms.

As a matter of interest Northumbria was a Union of two Anglo-Saxon kingdoms - Deira and Bernicia.

Deira ranged from the Humber to the Tees.
Bernicia spread from the Tees to the Forth.

If we were to resurrect the actual Kingdom of either Bernicia or Northumbria then we could legitimately invite Edinburgh and the surrounding area to come and join us.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 11:24 AM
link   
You can have most of Lothian but I'll fight to the death for Murrayfield.
Interesting stuff actually thanks.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: helldiver
The BBC says it wishes to remain impartial...Never was and Never has been "Impartial", but in the same breath they go on print these nuggets of information.

"The proms is hard-wired into our national DNA. It is impossible to separate what it means, its history, its contemporary resonance from the enormous potential change that’s going to happen only four days later."

I dont know a Scot under the age of 130 who cares a Rats Arse about Proms...Nice bit of Union Flag waving though...Gets us all patriotic and stuff...Not.

In other Scottish independence developments yesterday: * The John Lewis Group - which includes Waitrose - and Asda warned that prices will rise in Scotland amid reports that David Cameron asked them to intervene

Ada could reduce food prices in a Independent Scotland Say's CEO

* The International Monetary Fund warned that a Yes vote in next week’s referendum could lead to turmoil in the financial markets

And Turmoil in the financial markets is a new concept to the IMF?

The Institute for Fiscal Studies warned that the NHS could face significant cuts in Scotland in the event of a Yes vote

We are awe doomed again. Threats.

* Five Scottish-based banks - RBS Lloyds, TSB, Clydesdale and Tesco - have threatened to relocate their headquarters to England in the event of a Yes vote.

Lloyds have a Building here in Edinburgh registered as a Head quarters...No Employees in it though. I wonder if TSB, Clydesdale and Tesco are the same...Once again... More threats.

Alex Salmond, the First Minister, accused the BBC’s political editor of "heckling" him

No, Alex did better than accuse the BBC's political editor of heckling...He Accused Both the Government and the BBC of Releasing Market sensitive information before 7 am causing fluctuation in share prices in both RBS and Lloyds. A Very serious matter indeed.

This is the Level of BBC's Impartiality in two Videos of Yesterdays Q&A's

Let's have a wee look at What the BBC's MO really is..

What the BBC claimed Happen

And What actually happened

edit on 12-9-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Alekto

Then you are a racist.

And you are someone who failed to read on to the bit where I apologised. Twice.

Oh I see. So if you apologise, you're not a racist any more?

Well, it works for Mel Gibson I suppose.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Alekto

You do know the English aren't are a race? So therefor by definition not a racist, it's pretty simple really. The word you are looking for is bigoted.
Now is it really necessary to continue this witch hunt? He apologised now move on please and discuss the topic which you have failed to do.
edit on 12-9-2014 by mclarenmp4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   
a reply to: alldaylong

Not new, this happens b4 too. In India we got Punjab national bank which started from Pakistan. Ya old story 1947...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10 >>

join