It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frequent teen marijuana use linked to issues later in life

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   
a reply to: tothetenthpower

Oh that is already being done. Courteous of Stormdancer777's post at the top of page 3.

Teens who Smoke Cannabis Daily 'Seven Times More Likely to Commit Suicide'

The article cites the same study as the one in my OP yet this article claims that marijuana DIRECTLY links to suicide. It even drags out the good old fashioned, "marijuana is a gateway drug" fallacy.

Researchers also found that teenagers who use cannabis very often are at an eight times greater risk of using other illegal drugs in their twenties, and they can also develop an addiction to marijuana.

edit on 11-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stormdancer777
a reply to: yourmaker

I have a son and a granddaughter, that absolutely believe pot ruined their getting a good start, and my now thirty year old son, who got straight, went back to school had to literally start from scratch, then went on to get his college degree, just graduating this summer, who graduated at the top of his class and was valedictorian, will tell you it is a gateway drug most definitely.

He has been straight for about five years, landed a great job, and I have never seen him happier.

Teens who Smoke Cannabis Daily 'Seven Times More Likely to Commit Suicide'
www.ibtimes.co.uk...

Good for your son, my question for you is - if he got drunk everyday instead of pot. What would the outcome be then?? Would he have done better...

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

I guess it would be best to hear what he thinks rather then make assumptions.

Speaking from personal experience, being an old hippie, and without going into details we know what we old hippies experimented with,

I really don't regret any of my experiences in life, you do gain wisdom, it all seemed so innocent back then, but after years of substance abuse and recovering alcoholic, I think alcohol is worse, and what is really the pits is our society is stoned legally and illegally, sometimes a clear head can be a blessing, with the future we are facing in America I think we need all our facilities.

In past history the shamanic experience was holy and spiritual, it was never intended to be recreational.

I often wonder what it is about we humans that enjoy living in our alternative drug induced realities, there must be some spiritual reason, however we lost that.
edit on 023030p://bThursday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

edit on 023030p://bThursday2014 by Stormdancer777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dawnstar

There's no reason to trust legal RX drugs as somehow being in a magically safe category where you can't become dependent and lose the ability to emotionally grow.

I agree with everything you said.

What I find interesting is that you got stars for your post, and yet I got none. We both seemed to be providing information, and a balanced assessment. I can't help but think there is a bias on this site (and especially this thread) to not even look at the potential draw backs to marijuana, a drug, just the same as other drugs out there.

Just star whatever talks about the good, and anything that talks about the perceived bad, ignore, cause it doesn't fit this notion that marijuana is merely medicinal, as if medicines don't have detrimantal affects to individuals at times.

Marijuana isn't the same weed it was 50 years ago. Most of the commercial strains have been selectively bred to have psychoactive properties that far exceed the stuff of prior generations. To think that these strains can't harm some folks is just lazy reasoning. There's a reason many "potheads" stop using as they age, and it's usually not because they no longer have the monies for it... it tends to eventually get to people one way or another.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 06:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

It's because reality sucks the life out of you. That escape feels so good.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I have mixed feelings regarding the use of cannabis Although I am a light user I can see that for me it can cause a higher than normal lack of focus on the everyday tasks. I feel that this stems from the stimulation of the parts of the brain that deal with abstract thinking which causes a distraction from the everyday things ( yes , I realize that for many that is the whole point of it ). I also feel that because of the cannabis breeding programs that have focused on increasing THC content... it is easy to overdose ( Get more than is productively beneficial ). I personally would like to see a move toward restoring original strains to their original potencies. I also think it would be great to see the development of blends of cannabis with other natural herbs/sustances that would bring about a more favorable experience for some of us more easily distracted individuals. Something that would alleviate the paranoia and other side effects that would be termed negative. I'm sure through research and experimentation we can create blends that will provide very satisfying experiences for all interested parties. I do find it very interesting that it has been purported that cannabis was one of the primary ingredients in the recipie for the Holy annointing oil in the Bible...although I personally would not dare to make it ( even if I knew how). But it does make me wonder as to what the synergistic effect of such a blend would be.

Harry

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 07:31 AM
link   
a reply to: HarryJoy

If you go to Leafly you can browse literally every strain imaginable. When viewing a strain, the site provides information about the strain that includes negative side effects and how potent those side effects are for each strain. You may be surprised to learn that not all strains give you paranoia. Why would you advocate crossing marijuana with other herbs? We know marijuana is beneficial for you. If you start crossing it with other things, we can't be so sure of that anymore. Why not just use biology and genetics to just breed strains that minimize the negative side effects (which is what they do)?

As for the rest of your post. That is impossible. The cat is out of the bag. Look at the alcohol market, we don't just have a bunch of low proof alcohols. We have proofs ranging from as low as 40 proof (20% alcohol per volume) to 190 proof (95% alcohol per volume). It's only natural that marijuana potency would follow the same trends. It's not like anyone forces people to use the higher content strains though. Most dispensaries provide a THC content percentage before you buy it so if you don't want something too potent, you don't have to buy it. But things like THAT come with legalization. Can't really stay on top of those things with a black market and are more at the mercy of the person you are buying it from.
edit on 12-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese
there are drawbacks to everything...
but got to tell ya something here.
my childhood was filled with alcholics. My mother was a bar tender so I was around them alot. I've alway obverved my share of stoned people in my lifetime. In the bar my mom worked for there were many times when an all out fist fight would break out and she would usher me quickly out the door! Other times I would be accousted by drunks to the point where now it would come very close to being sexual harassment! Many of the ones who were regulars in that bar died decades ago with many of them being done in by liver damage. Till this day I cannot stay around an intoxicated person for long- a side effect of being in that bar so often! My parents took turns bringing me to work when I was young. And drinking makes me sick don't know if there's a physical reason why or it's psychological.

The stoners on the other hand generally sat and got into the tunes chatted about some pretty weird things at times till the fell asleep..
I would much rather hang with the stoners than in the bars!! it seems to be more peaceful.

But what I was addressing was the discussions having to do with the medical use of the plant and well. I wake up about six or seven times during a six hour sleep most nights with cramps in my feet and lower legs. And I've read some things that make me think that it might just help, not to mention would probaby be far cheaper than having to go to the doctor so he can run a ton of tests looking for a diagnosis and convincing him I need some type of medication for it. I've tried that path and each time it broke my family financially!

The healthcare in this country shouldn't be this expensive. More money goes into our healthcare system than any other country I believe and well we still end up with people out in the cold! I really don't see considering the state of our healthcare where the gov't has any right to tell me that I can't grow a plant in my yard, harvest it, and use it as a treatment for something. Especially a plant that they banned mainly to protect the cotton industry that they have since allowed to fly away to other countries for corp profits!

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Drugs are easier to get hold of for kids, because they are illegal and the people who deal them dont care and are not moderated kids can get them far easier than booze.

If it was legal and controlled, there wouldnt be dealers, with no illegal dealers kids wouldnt be able to get it as easy because the people who are "of age" need ID and a license/permit to buy.

Look at alcohol, are there any illegal moonshiners? Yeah, one in a hundred thousand or even worse ratios.

Strange but true, people saying kids will be able to get it easier are wrong.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Biigs
Every once in awhile someone will get busted for moonshining in my area belief it or not. Old habits are hard to break I guess.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 06:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t
a reply to: HarryJoy

If you go to Leafly you can browse literally every strain imaginable. When viewing a strain, the site provides information about the strain that includes negative side effects and how potent those side effects are for each strain. You may be surprised to learn that not all strains give you paranoia. Why would you advocate crossing marijuana with other herbs? We know marijuana is beneficial for you. If you start crossing it with other things, we can't be so sure of that anymore. Why not just use biology and genetics to just breed strains that minimize the negative side effects (which is what they do)?

As for the rest of your post. That is impossible. The cat is out of the bag. Look at the alcohol market, we don't just have a bunch of low proof alcohols. We have proofs ranging from as low as 40 proof (20% alcohol per volume) to 190 proof (95% alcohol per volume). It's only natural that marijuana potency would follow the same trends. It's not like anyone forces people to use the higher content strains though. Most dispensaries provide a THC content percentage before you buy it so if you don't want something too potent, you don't have to buy it. But things like THAT come with legalization. Can't really stay on top of those things with a black market and are more at the mercy of the person you are buying it from.
I obviously left a wrong impression by the way I worded some of the things I said. When i was speaking of blending cannabis with other natural substances I did not mean by way of modifying the plant . I meant by blending harvested cannabis with other herbs or natural substances and then making tinctures or possibly making blends that could be smoked. Thereby perhaps increasing the pleasure/duration of the smoking experience ( I enjoy taking the couple of tokes that I take but it is limited to just a few moments of time). And what I meant by saying that I would like to see a move toward original strains with their original potencies does not mean across the board.. I realize that many smokers are content with the modern more powerful strains. But certainly I think that it would be very beneficial for less powerful strains to be widely available for people like me that are highly suceptible to the effects of THC. And also for the uninitiated that may be desiring to give it a try. Thank you for the reference to LEAFLY. I have been on the site before and found it to be very informative. I am somewhat skeptical however of just how broad the differences between the strains can be. I mean there are only two ( discounting ruderalis) primary strains that ALL strains are derived from. I will say though that I have found some strains to be definitely more suitable for me than others.
Btw It is my not so humble opinion that whether cannabis is held to be entirely beneficial or not it certainly is an inalienable right to have free access to all naturally occuring plants ( Particularly one that has shown itself to be so useful in so many ways )

Harry

posted on Sep, 25 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: TheLieWeLive
Brilliant. Thanks

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 03:34 AM
link   
i smoked MJ for about 15 years before quitting due to costs and illegality (just being responsible, eventually)

I had no with drawls, i had no side effects, i didnt smoke at 9am everyday i didnt feel the need to smoke constantly, i just used it in the evening, i didnt smoke at work and i had no problems going to work. Could i do that with beer? probably not.

Hell when i smoked at weekends, all weekend, i could still do overtime for work and do a perfectly good few hours.

MJ and alcohol are NOT the same thing at all, i can ride a motorbike just fine stoned off my ass, drunk? no f-ing way.

posted on Sep, 26 2014 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Hmmm who would have thought a mind altering psychoactive substance would have repercussions later in life?

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 02:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: wantsome
Hmmm who would have thought a mind altering psychoactive substance would have repercussions later in life?

its not mind altering, its mind effecting.

Ive done other substances (i cant talk about here) that are mind altering and they are not even remotely the same as MJ.

Alcohol is mind altering in more ways than MJ, it makes you stupid, it makes you and your thoughts stupid - look at a 50 year drinking guy against a 50 year MJ smoker and then tell me MJ is bad for you.

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Best strains for this season are in our shop. just check our site for the best marijuana strains, wax, concerntrates and cannabis oil online.
Buy from us to get discount at.... www.medicalmarijuanaforsale.net
OR email us at.... [email protected]

We would be happy to read from you. you can also place your order online and securely.
thanks and peace out.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join