It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Frequent teen marijuana use linked to issues later in life

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

My point was that people in bad situations are predisposed to seek out narcotics to self-medicate and things like marijuana or alcohol abuse in teenagers are a symptom of a larger problem as opposed to the cause of the problem.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 08:43 AM
link   
a reply to: yourmaker

I have a son and a granddaughter, that absolutely believe pot ruined their getting a good start, and my now thirty year old son, who got straight, went back to school had to literally start from scratch, then went on to get his college degree, just graduating this summer, who graduated at the top of his class and was valedictorian, will tell you it is a gateway drug most definitely.

He has been straight for about five years, landed a great job, and I have never seen him happier.

Teens who Smoke Cannabis Daily 'Seven Times More Likely to Commit Suicide'
www.ibtimes.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Understood completely.

Matter of fact I would hazard a guess that a majority of the time there are underlying issues that are driving those students towards usage. However even though their issues are driving them to use, the use of that substance is still effecting them in negative ways.

That being said I am noticing (as are other school police officers) a substantial increase in usage amongst those who come from a household that has both parents and are not living in poverty. Of course that does not mean they don't have other issues. However no longer is the stereotypical "pot head" the only type of person using.

Not saying it is good, bad, or indifferent. Just my observations.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
It doesn't help. It basically keeps people emotionally stagnating. Whatever issues there were prior, will remain. Whatever issues come along the way, will stay, and you'll start piling them up over the years. Dependence on any drug doesn't allow for emotional growth.

You have an error in the OP. You said there isn't any evidence for correlation. This is false. The statistics show correlation. They don't prove causation. That's different. Might want to change that.

It basically goes both ways on things like this, and that's why finding a single arrow of causation isn't the best approach.

hmmm I've been on antidepressents a couple of times
I could say the same thing about them any problems that are there are gonna stay there because the drugs just kind of masks over them.. Matter of fact I've never screwed up my life as I as bad as I did while on antidepressents! At least me it stops any inhabition I might have and those things I only imagine doing in my life I end up saying what the heck I want to do it I'm gonna do it!!

and reckon just how many people are hooked on the pain meds?? I sat watching tv one night stunned! There was a pro and a con medical marijuana debate going on. And the con sat there saying about how addicting the weed it and therefore it should be used! Well I am sorry but there is no comparison between weed and the effects of the morphine based drugs!
This isn't really relevant but I found it kind of humorous. They start out with an opium addicted society, so they developed morphine to help the addicted only it proved to be more addicting so they then tried heroin which was even more addicted! by the way it was a pharmacutical company that introduced the opium to begin with.
www.drugfreeworld.org...

It seems like the more humans mess with the natural properties of the medicinal plants the more dangerous they become!
so tell me again how weed the worse??

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: TorqueyThePig
However no longer is the stereotypical "pot head" the only type of person using.

This was never the case. The stereotypical "pot head" is a gross generalization pushed by the anti-marijuana people from the reefer madness propaganda.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Blaming a substance for his failures is where your son went wrong. He should stop blaming a plant for his inability to practice self-control.

By the way, your link is sourcing the same exact study as the one in my OP that found NO link to marijuana use and suicide. From the OP:

Evidence was not sufficient, according to the study authors, to support a causal link between marijuana use and suicide.
It would have helped if you had actually clicked on the sources from your article to make sure it was a different study from the one in the OP. Though, you did help expose more anti-marijuana propaganda in the MSM. So through your inattentiveness you did a good thing I guess.
edit on 11-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:30 AM
link   

When someone does that I remind them of Michael Phelps or a plethora of Gold winning snowboarders.

Some are born lazy, cannabis has nothing to do it.

Florine in our water however....

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

Here read this:
The N.F.L.’s Absurd Marijuana Policy

A few snippits from the article.

I medicated with marijuana for most of my career as a tight end from 2003 through 2008. And I needed the medication. I broke my tibia, dislocated my shoulder, separated both shoulders, tore my groin off the bone once and my hamstring off the bone twice, broke fingers and ribs, tore my medial collateral ligament, suffered brain trauma, etc. Most players have similar medical charts. And every one of them needs the medicine.

Had marijuana become a problem for me, it would have been reflected in my job performance, and I would have been cut. I took my job seriously and would not have allowed that to happen. The point is, marijuana and excellence on the playing field are not mutually exclusive.

A good example is Josh Gordon, the Cleveland Browns wide receiver who led the league last year with 1,646 receiving yards, despite missing two games for testing positive for codeine (for a strep throat, he said). He was suspended again late last month for the entire season after testing positive for marijuana. (At least five others were also suspended last year and this year for marijuana, according to the magazine Mother Jones.)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Great article. I love how they portray pot smokers as dumber than dumb yet have you ever seen a NFL playbook? Almost as big as the bible and nearly as difficult to understand yet these idiot pot-heads can learn the whole thing and, like he said in the article:

He is fit enough to run dozens of offensive plays a game and torch world-class athletes in the process. He memorizes complicated playbooks every week, learns sign language, remembers the coded language the quarterback uses when switching a play at the last second and adheres to militaristic itineraries of life in the N.F.L. He seems like a man in full control of his faculties.

Ugh, I'm sick and bloody tired of the propaganda against pot. Even my totally brainwashed mom has come to the conclusion it's not a bad thing, why the hell can't anyone else?

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:36 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Because the majority of the over 60 crowd still blindly opposes the plant. They are the ones who vote every election.

As I said before, that crowd is dying off or discovering the benefits of the plant. We are passed the tipping point in the L debate. The only question is how long before the US ends prohibition of a plant.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:45 AM
link   

More fun stuff to check out. Here are all the states that have legalized or decriminalize marijuana in some form (medical included)

Notice anything about most of the states that haven't done so? They are almost all in the middle of the country, ie the bible belt. Also Florida, God's waiting room, is against marijuana legalization as well.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
My son never blames anyone but himself, but he is also very rational when it comes to debating this issue and extremely honest about it, I wish you could debate him not me.

But maybe I will get him to give you a response.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Stormdancer777

Give it a shot. I'd like to debate his world view that pot is an evil drug that holds people back from being successful. Just going off of what you told me, it sounds like he got this idea from anecdotal evidence (his own experiences) so that is already one strike against him.

P.S. If he does agree, make sure you let him know not to bring up personal usage as per the T&C.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 10:56 AM
link   

I am a Florida native. Medical is on the ballot in November. The polls so far support it, however it needs 60% of the vote to pass.

I will get out and vote, I can't say I trust the voting system especially in Florida. So many are blindly supporting Rick Scott simply because he is a Republican and his mom says he is a good boy on his TV ads.

We'll see what happens in November. If Rick Scott is re-elected I will become an exPat.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Good luck. The largely senior population in your state seems to resist change and embrace totalitarian approaches more than any other state (seems like every other week I read about some new totalitarian bs originating from that state) in the country.

P.S. I cringe too since I will be in Florida on Halloween weekend for a music festival (I will elaborate no further on this, but I'm sure some people will get it).

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

Because the majority of the over 60 crowd still blindly opposes the plant. They are the ones who vote every election.

That is until they or someone they love needs it for medication. Then the attitude changes.

Just like most people when it comes to gays. They oppose them until they find out their own son or daughter is gay. Then they join PFLAG.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   

And that proves the hypocrisy of the modern church.

Marijuana in the Bible

And I also bet those states that haven't touched the issue yet have a huge elderly/conservative population.

NY I'm surprised, they haven't done a thing.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Lol nice. I should save that link for later usage.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:21 PM
link   
lol... never print anything about HS because it's all nonsense.

The ridiculousness of what we do to teenagers is insane...

If at 32, I choose to take a couple of years "to live my life" and went surfing and smoked a lot of weed, because I already jumped through hoops for whatever minuscule portion of 8 years of life it was decided I had a chance to be "allowed" an education... I'd go right back to work when done...

but lol... do that at 16, your bared from ever doing much for ever for all intents and purposes

Anybody every yet stop to think that the reason we are a nation of imbeciles these days might just be because as information grows exponentially yearly, we socially constrict the time we educate ourselves to the most rambunctious hormonal disruptive 4 years of our lives and call it HS?

How is that a plan?

"hey you.. over there, yeah you the really insecure man child covered in zits, yeah you... you with the boner and bad temper... get over here, i'm going to give you 3 years to learn the majority of everything you'll ever be allowed to learn for the rest of your life, it's also a competition only the top 15% of you and your peers get to move on... by the way, you have no legal rights through this period, your confined to the rule of your crappy parents can't drive for half of it to get it done nor can earn your own money in any real viable way.... GO!"

prolly not a good idea to smoke much weed when subjected to that insanity, no...

But it doesn't mean the weeds the problem.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:25 PM
link   

The more we study the effects on the developing brain, the more we realize that much liek alcohol, weed should stay within the realm of adults.

Nobody in favor of legalization has ever argued otherwise, nor have any of us ever claimed that this research would give a different result.

Hopefully people don't use these kinds of papers to point the finger at how bad pot is. They'd be using a huge straw man.

As usual though I suppose.

Great thread.

~Tenth

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join