It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok, some weird phone spoofing going on

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The funny thing is that this happened to me seconds before seeing this thread.

It. Came to my work phone which is strange. I usually get them on my personal phone. I hate it. I wish the people responsible would die slow while their children watch.

I can't even call back with my empty threats and berate anybody because it always tells me the number is not in service. It really leaves me feeling unfulfilled.

Then there are the "magazine subscription" douchebags. Another blight on society. Slow deaths to them as well.

The real question is, where is this all encompassing surveillance apparatus in all of this? Why can't these douchebags be caught? Why haven't I been confronted for threatening harm on their spouses, children, and pets?

I think the whole thing is a sham. They are blowing our tax dollars on booze and strippers, trying to make us believe it's being spent on some state of the art all seeing eye. It is all such a joke that I'm just waiting for the punch line.

Boba

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   
a reply to: FlySolo

Interesting, my son and I both had this happen two weekends ago. I didn't think much of it til he said the same thing had happened. We are close to you too, on the island, so maybe its regional.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:36 PM
link   
a reply to: igloo

Well there it is then. Some telemarketing thingamajig going down the list.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:38 PM
link   
a reply to: Bobaganoosh

The real question is, where is this all encompassing surveillance apparatus in all of this? Why can't these douchebags be caught? Why haven't I been confronted for threatening harm on their spouses, children, and pets?

Good point

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:17 PM
link   
This spoofing BS is so disconcerting when it first happens ...then it's infuriating. Now I just press zero then pick up the phone so as to confuse the computer on the other end with noise.

After researching a bit, I was so pissed to read that the FCC/FTC can't or won't do anything about it. Sadly, I think that's part of an overall scam too...I'm sure when a solution is found, it will cost consumers a fortune.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: kosmicjack
This spoofing BS is so disconcerting when it first happens ...then it's infuriating. Now I just press zero then pick up the phone so as to confuse the computer on the other end with noise.

After researching a bit, I was so pissed to read that the FCC/FTC can't or won't do anything about it. Sadly, I think that's part of an overall scam too...I'm sure when a solution is found, it will cost consumers a fortune.

The solution is already in existence. It's very cheap (modern phones, cell and home, come preloaded with the technology) and it is also in wide use among most people I know.

Let the machine/voicemail pick it up. If it's important (or even semi-legit) they will leave a message. Bill collectors, marketing agencies, hell even the BARELY legit Timeshare company I worked for left messages (and a lot of them at that). No need to implement some new technology, or rely on the FCC/FTC/NSA/whoever you think is going to fix it.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I don't answer the call unless I recognize the caller. Letting it go to voicemail completely eliminates the problem.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:36 PM
link   
a reply to: ChaosComplex

LoL! The quaint tech that is the answering machine/voicemail doesn't stop the onslaught of dubious calls, it just screens them.
When my kid is playing in the neighborhood, I need to answer the phone, even if I don't recognize the number.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
My bestie has been dialing the wrong area code for my number for YEARS! This St of a woman that answers the phone is always so kind and says she's not me.

I would never have that much patience.

originally posted by: violet
My number is very similar to another's in my city. I keep getting calls for them. Apparently they also receive my calls by mistake and had the nerve to bitch about it. Hey I get yours too asshole! One time I was feeling mischievous & said no, he doesn't live here anymore, I kicked Him out. Wonder what they thought of that

You can google the clues and it will show up since his number is listed. If you are that curious.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Get a whistle if it is a telemarketer and blow as hard as you can

Or tell them to hold while you go get them then go get a brew for 30 minutes

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
a reply to: douglas5

Those are good ones. When we lived out in the boonies, my dad shot a watermelon at point blank and made gurgling noises into the phone until the sears siding salesman hung up.

I wish I didn't live in town so I could get in on some good theatrics.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: douglas5
Get a whistle if it is a telemarketer and blow as hard as you can

Or tell them to hold while you go get them then go get a brew for 30 minutes

I've been known to play tricks on telemarketers from time to time. Once in a while I will answer the phone and speak spanish. Sometimes I will talk in a deep "tranny" voice and ask them out on dates, or pretend they reached a phone sex operation.

I've even replied to those "African lottery" emails in which I pretend that I have already received the money and if they give me their info, I'll share some of the money. Only once did some moron reply with his info....straight to the authorities it went.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 11:44 AM
link   
I recently got a call from 867-5309. If you don't know the relevance of that number then look it up.

I didn't have the heart to answer it. I figured nothing good could come from it.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 12:10 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

When I had this one collector call me at least 10x a day non stop for months I finally decided to play the hello? Haaallooo? Hello??? Hello!! game. Or when driving I would answer the call (cell cradle of course) flip on speaker phone and crank the tunes. There is some satisfaction with that

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Weird indeed! Best option is to check with the telephone company. Every call you make or receive is logged in their database, along with the other party's real information. So if the caller spoofed your caller ID and faked the number that appeared on your screen, the telephone company can help you with that.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 08:21 AM
link   
This article www.callercenter.com... explains how nuisance callers fake the phone number that displays on the recipient's caller ID. And you'd surely be surprised to learn who's helping them do that.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 12:39 AM
link   
Believe it or not, caller ID spoofing is remarkably simple with a little technical know-how. I won't get into details, as it can be incredibly illegal, depending on where you are, but I can call or text anybody from literally any number I'd like, whenever and as often as I'd like, and the whole system took me about an hour to set up. The pranking possibilities are hilarious and endless, but so is the potential for abuse, with a little bit of social engineering.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
Believe it or not, caller ID spoofing is remarkably simple with a little technical know-how. I won't get into details, as it can be incredibly illegal, depending on where you are, but I can call or text anybody from literally any number I'd like, whenever and as often as I'd like, and the whole system took me about an hour to set up. The pranking possibilities are hilarious and endless, but so is the potential for abuse, with a little bit of social engineering.

Hahaha...no need to make it sound so mysterious. There are many readily accessible ways for people to spoof their caller id with zero technical know how. Free apps and websites are the easiest methods.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheSpanishArcher
I recently got a call from 867-5309. If you don't know the relevance of that number then look it up.

I didn't have the heart to answer it. I figured nothing good could come from it.

Thats not fair! lighting them up like that so NSA can get a list of the lyrics impaired search engine preference!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join