It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scottish People Being Misled Over Oil And Gas Reserves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Sir Ian and I don't always see eye to eye. I named one of my YouTube channels underterraingrunter as a tribute to Union Terrace Gardens, the 'green heart' of Aberdeen that Sir Ian wished to cover in concrete. www.friendsofutg.co.uk... I took part in the battle to preserve the beautiful, historic gardens for future generations. Sir Ian was visibly shocked when his project was rejected.

Now Sir Ian and I find ourselves in agreement, to some extent, and he would be the man to know about oil and gas reserves around Scotland. www.telegraph.co.uk...

I'm not quite sure where this view point fits in.

Here's a recent comment from YouTube.

I've just taken some video off the TV as he was just live on the BBC showing his anger at the SNP for misquoting him as saying exactly what he says in the video above. Disgusted does not begin to express how I am feeling. This man is a traitor to Scotland, I can only assume that Holyrood are offering Professor Kemp an important role advising on oil and energy and Westminster must be offering such a role to Ian Wood.

What's going on here? Apart from confusion? The oil issue is being used as an emotive vote getter. What is the actual amount of realistically accessible oil around Scotland? If it's affecting the decisions of thousands of voters there has to be a reasonably accurate estimate.

Can anyone on ATS bring us the truth on this issue?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
As for the amount of oil I don't know but I know the SNP have constantly doubled even trebled the amount quoted,
that aside it is 100% an emotional vote getter.

A lot of YES voters think they have access to gold and it will be distributed to the Scottish people,
the whole argument for the YES vote is that they will be better off out of the United Kingdom than in it.

Does anyone know what is going to happen if they get it? No.

Is there a good chance it won't go well. YES, especially if we (the rest of the UK) decide not to work with them on some things, make life difficult and basically treat them like they are sweden or France.

If the Scottish people get their wish of independence then I wish them well and hope it all works out but it seems a bit of a pipe dream. Separation is forever and if it all ends in tears they cannot come back, so for their sakes I hope
they have the right people running the show, to me most politicians are the same.

In my opinion

Best case Scenario with the Yes vote - things stay the same.
Worst case scenario with the yes vote - things get worse, a lot worse, Greece style.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: TaggartLike Westminster have been telling us for years it's about to run out.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I think it will be very bad for the English pound if the leave , very bad indeed

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
I think it would very good for the English people politically and socially in the long term if Scotland got independence.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: ispyed

I like this phrase 'in the long term'. Short term expectations have a way of going stale.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Being Scottish, living in England, might I add, out of my 35 years on this Earth, 18 of them in England, I have never been so confused about all of this Independance talk as I am now. Thanks be I am not voting, because I don't believe any of it. Some mornings I wake up thinking 'Yes', others 'No'. The oil thing, and everything else to the Pound Sterling, needs to be addressed truthfully and to the point. Regardless of the split, it's going to be messy whether it's a Yes or No, but any result will be based on lies and deceit from both ends (in my opinion).

Thanks for the video OP, it levels a wee bit more clarity, even though I'm not voting. Thats until the next BBC spiel of negativity then I'll be back, and am sure along with others, to not having a clue what is what. S&F for you though, thank you

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
a reply to: TaggartLike Westminster have been telling us for years it's about to run out.

Back in the 1980's, they said there was about 40 years supply. I guess we will find out in 10 years time. Oil production has been declining. This is the important graph:

www.cges.co.uk...
www.cges.co.uk...

Going by that graph, there are only six years left regardless of whether what happened. So any argument over independence shouldn't be swayed by "we'll have the black gold - we will all be rich beyond or dreams" talk.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   
a reply to: RobbieK

Confusing, lies and deceit, messy. That sounds like a fair summary.

At work I was half listening to the radio telling me about a frantic mission by assorted politicians hoping to encourage a NO vote. More confusion and no doubt lies and deceit. I expect there'll be an egg or two thrown to add to the messy.

My conspiratorial nature tells me it's all been pre-arranged and the confusion is there as a smokescreen to stop us analysing correctly.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Thanks for the graph. And don't we wish we were as wise as the Norwegians. www.cnbc.com...

Norway has resisted the temptation to splurge all the windfall since striking oil in the North Sea in 1969.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: RobbieK
Being Scottish, living in England, might I add, out of my 35 years on this Earth, 18 of them in England, I have never been so confused about all of this Independance talk as I am now. Thanks be I am not voting, because I don't believe any of it. Some mornings I wake up thinking 'Yes', others 'No'. The oil thing, and everything else to the Pound Sterling, needs to be addressed truthfully and to the point. Regardless of the split, it's going to be messy whether it's a Yes or No, but any result will be based on lies and deceit from both ends (in my opinion).

Thanks for the video OP, it levels a wee bit more clarity, even though I'm not voting. Thats until the next BBC spiel of negativity then I'll be back, and am sure along with others, to not having a clue what is what. S&F for you though, thank you

You have to understand what happened in the past 70 years. Our elected officials signed our countries into agreements like the "The Lima Declaration of 1975" where we promised to give the developing world 30% of our manufacturing base. We gave up steel-making, ship-building, coal mining, leaving men in their 50's unemployed, unable to retrain and without pensions. This was in a country where the tradition was to work with a company from the day you joined to the day you retired.

For those companies still privately owned, they would be bought by multinationals, downsized with early retirement, outsourced and offshored, liquidated and asset-stripped and what was left sold off to China. Everything from high-tech lathes to textile production. Again people lost their pensions. All because the city boys wanted their bonuses. And we were told it was good for us because it was bringing the third world out of poverty. Meanwhile our country ends up having a massive debt crisis due to cheap loans and credit. On top of that our young people find they are unable to find work because they are competing against workers from East Europe, because New Labour in London decided to open the country to everyone else.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:01 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Succinctly said.

In my view the majority of British bicycle manufacturers were bought up by Raleigh, moved to one site, then bicycle design was slowly altered to make riding a painful experience. The 1950's bikes were designed to last 100 years with minimal maintenance and provide reasonably comfortable transport to the local place of work.

We wouldn't need all this oil if we were still cycling to work, upright and unhurried.

edit on 10 9 2014 by Kester because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

Back in the 1980's, they said there was about 40 years supply. I guess we will find out in 10 years time. Oil production has been declining. This is the important graph:

www.cges.co.uk...
www.cges.co.uk...

Going by that graph, there are only six years left regardless of whether what happened. So any argument over independence shouldn't be swayed by "we'll have the black gold - we will all be rich beyond or dreams" talk.

Going by your own link you provided..
Claire Field: discovered in 1977 and developed in the 1990s, extensions and new reservoirs were discovered in 2011.

Fulla Field: a 2011 discovery with a notable oil column.

Schiehallion and Loyal Fields: started production in 1988 and had produced about 400 mn bbls, but new investment announced in 2011 will extend the fields’ life to 2030s and additional 450 mn bbls could be recovered.

Forties Field: set to be decommissioned by 2012. Instead, its production has now increased and the field is expected to continue producing for two more decades.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Jesus!! Don't you people get it. I've posted a few times yet either you haven't read them or choose to ignore them. Since oil was found in and around the coast of Great Britain there have been BILLIONS of barrels took out yet what benefit have the ordinary citizens of Britain seen of the WEALTH OF OIL? NOTHING, NADA. That's what the Scots will see of their supposed vast oil reserves. Don't you people get it, it's already been sold from under your feet. History has proven this, the present proves it and the future you have no way of controlling.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   
i,ll tell you what i,ve already voted.......a big fat NO

not that i,m not a proud scot but like taggart said do you trust any politician and my answer to that is no also.

its a huge risk to take and if it all goes pear shaped then there is no going back

its like betting on black or red.......50-50 chance, i,d rather keep what i,ve got and not take the risk.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Scotland does 70% of its trade with the rest of the UK

Doubt the UK will be dealing with a hateful bunch of scots wielding swords and shields and wearing face paint struggling to get over a Hollywood movie

Without Scotland, if the UK goes down... UK is Scotland's biggest trading partner, if UK goes down, Scotland goes down with it simple and without it simple

That was how the union was built reliant on each other but it wasn't how it started.... Was it?

It was started when Scotland was bankrupt after failed after failed colonialism and empire attempts

The next 300yrs was full of high times and the rise of the greatest empire the world has ever seen amending a hundred years of idiots twating each other over the head in fields

Absolutely pathetic

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 03:21 AM
link   
a reply to: TritonTaranis

An extraordinarily intelligent and capable Scot who holds very rare information told me Scotland has vastly more influence in the world than is commonly acknowledged.

I don't think we can easily predict the long term outcome of this.
edit on 11 9 2014 by Kester because: change word

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:45 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kester

An extraordinarily intelligent and capable Scot who holds very rare information told me Scotland has vastly more influence in the world than is commonly acknowledged.

I don't think we can easily predict the long term outcome of this.

Chances are he's lying

His first name wasn't Alex was it?

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Time will tell.

top topics

join