It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We had a little Snow in the high country this morning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Not much, melted as fast and it landed

Not Colorado's first snowfall of the year... telluride had a dusting two weeks ago today...

but you guys east of us are going to get the cold air mass next10-9-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-9-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Double
edit on 10-9-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:49 PM
link   
It's been a rainy summer, think it will lead to a lot of snow this winter? Only been in Denver for a couple of years ...

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:52 PM
link   
a reply to: eeyipes

It'll get real cold come Oct.
Here on the western slopes where I am, between Durango and Cortez I've seen it snow two feet deep in 24 hours.
that was back in the late 1980's when I was a teen but hey...

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Man, I always wanted to move to Colorado. What kind of jobs are available where you're located on the Western Slopes?
I bet it is a lot of work keeping that much snow under control over the winter. I remember when I lived in Michigan just inland from Lake Michigan we had Lake Effect snow all the time during the winter. The national forecast wouldn't even show it, but it just dumped on us all winter. I was in the Blizzard of 78 and we had 22.5 foot snow drifts on our road. We lived in the country and surrounded by corn fields. It actually buried our house. We had to dig a tunnel through to the front door. But I also recall having to get the snow off the roof pretty frequently and the ice that would form where the eves were was always thick.

Colorado is a beautiful state and lots of sportsman opportunities.

edit on 10/9/14 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:14 PM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

Well I moved here from Iowa, so I know all about cold, ice storms that knocked out power for 4 days, and a long driveway full of 4 foot drifts that popped up overnight. It just seems to me that the snow here (I live south of Denver in Parker) has been much milder than I thought it would be, I would actually be looking forward to a few rockin' snow storms and some snow days for the kids

But I know there seems to be a lot of microclimates out here ... one area can be passed up by the weather while just a few miles away can get dumped on.
edit on 10-9-2014 by eeyipes because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-9-2014 by eeyipes because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Stop talking about snow!!! It's evil! EVEEEL!
They already started draining the lake here.

This song always reminds me of this transition.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:49 PM
link   
I don't think you should be using disgusting four letter words like that in September OP. Shame on you.

posted on Sep, 13 2014 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: spirit_horse

To answer your question...Most folks who live in my far SW corner of the state all work for the oil fields in one regard or another. Not just on the rigs out either. down the block from my place is a shop that rebuilds pumps, there's a company that services all the many motors they use out there. Once in a while I as an electrician have been called to do small jobs for them, if I was a wielder I couldn't keep up with all the business they bring in. I threw my name in the hat for a mining job just across the border in Utah... didn't get it but it would been sweet as starting pay was $54 bucks per hour.

Yup oil & gas and Mining are biggest employers, that all the myriad of other support companies that keep them up and going. If you can get on with one of the biggies a lot of their guys are making upwards of $100k per year.
Here's a ling for job listings you'll have to create an account but if your serious it's the place to start.

edit on 13-9-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:21 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Ah yes, you are correct! What was I thinking. I guess I throw it around too often living in Florida where people come down so often after retirement age.

You know I have a picture some where of a Florida snow man! We ad a horrible storm in 1989-1990 and it dumped a entire 1/4 inch of that stuff on us. I mean it was Biblical.....I mean AGW Scripture. We went through the Blizzard of 78 in Michigan with 22.5 foot drifts on our roar from all the corn fields around and the only trees line the roads. A natural $^# fence. (there is that better?).

I noticed you're in the UP. We used to get dumped on steady in winter, even though the weather maps rarely showed it if at all. I miss the winter fun, but not the winter work. But, it is beautiful country compared to Florida, The wood are accessible and down here in Florida it is thick and lots of lfe takers if you get to a hospital quick enough. We have Eastern Diamondbacks, Moccasins, Coral, and Copper Heads. Not to mention we have a bad wild boar populations and panthers, and a small black bear population. The wood are so thick with Palmettos and vines in the swamp lands that i
spend more time looking at the ground than looking around for game animals I'm hunting. However, for me, hunting is a peaceful and a chance to enjoy nature and forget about work.

Have a great week!

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

I thought about buying a lot in a subdivision in Florida near the Ocean to build a winter home. That was near where they launched the shuttle from. But after spending a week bumming around florida, I didn't want to live there. There were too many people with things up their sleeves there, lots of people trying to scam others. These scammers do not even think they are doing anything wrong. They brag about how they make money and complain and lawyer up if they get caught. There are about five percent here in the UP, they usually get high ranking jobs here, but it seemed like there was over ten percent in Florida. They are more aggressive with their scams too. If you are charging way more than the work is worth, that is a scam. Lots of people doing it doesn't make it right either.

The snakes and preditors down there are not just in the woods.

edit on 15-9-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Wow! $54/hour would be Sweet! I could definitely do something like that, but they are so far apart, I would imagine you would be driving a lot. I would like working in the data center/supply or pipeline control. Actually anything for that kind of cash. I have an Uncle that is a lighting engineer in Billings Mo. and he had been living out there since 1979.

Thanks for the job listing too. That will get some scrutiny. I would think you would have a lock on that job. Are you a member of the local union? That could make a difference depending on their history! Well, good luck to you in your future endeavors. Who knows, I may be up there to make some cabbage!

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Thanks HardCorps! I will definitely have a look around! That is good money for me. Florida is mainly a tourism state and the summer is too hot for me. I enjoy winter sports and hunting. Michigan was in hard economic times back in the 80's, at least the LP. There was some great deals on land and houses last time I looked. Have a great day!

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 09:56 AM
link   

I spent time down in Florida with the 29th mu Marines...
You can keep those damnable swamps and sand-fleas, and other... seems to me like every kind of critter you all got down there will bite ya stab ya or stick ya.

Naw, I'm happy being mountain folk... most dangerous thing I have to deal with is a small herd of Elk that like to stand in the road and graze on the sweet grass in the bar-ditch... So used to people now they'll just stand there as you drive past.
at least till hunting season opens, winkz

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: spirit_horse
You know I have a picture some where of a Florida snow man! We ad a horrible storm in 1989-1990 and it dumped a entire 1/4 inch of that stuff on us. I mean it was Biblical.....I mean AGW Scripture. We went through the Blizzard of 78 in Michigan with 22.5 foot drifts on our roar from all the corn fields around and the only trees line the roads. A natural $^# fence. (there is that better?).

LOL, I remember that "epic" FL Blizzard of '89. Christmas Eve, if I recall correctly. I was a youngin, we'd just move from (incidentally) Michigan and I was extremely confused, because my dad had told us it didn't snow in FL. Yet there I was, watching out the window as snow collected on the cars & roof tops.

I sure hope this winter is every bit as bitter as last year's was. We recently moved from FL back to MI, and I'm looking so. very. forward to bone-chilling cold & lots of snow.

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 02:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I used to live in Cedar Springs. My family was from Chase and Southfield (outside Detroit). I admit I was young then and loved snowmobiling and skiing. Hunting was different altogether.

Reply to Hardcorps:

You are right about the critters down here. I had a friend jump out of a canoe right on top of a 14 foot alligator. He had a dive ask on and he lucked out because it slid down around his neck and the gator didn't cut into his wind pipe or jugular. I hate hunting because I am looking down most of the time looking for deadly pit-vipers and walk right into those damn banana spiders that string their webs right about face height along the trails. It is too thick to go through the palmettos because you can't see the rattlers nor the moccasins, since the palmettos are about waist to chest high. I almost got hit by a 6' Eastern Diamondback Rattler. He had 14 rattles on him. Fortunately, my dad was walking behind me with a 12ga. and saw it lean back about to strike when he shot it. A serious problem for me is I have a red/green color blindness, so I learned to watch the ground pretty hard after that. Needless to say, I probably miss most of the deer running away. I live in N.E. Florida right next to the Georgia line. A friend was climbing up his tree stand the other day and there was a little scorpion in his seat. They aren't really known for being up here, but apparently nobody told them about it.

We also have Florida Panthers. We got stuck way out in this place called the Pin Hook Swamp Unit. It just showed up on the back of one of the WMA (Wildlife Management Areas) maps one season. It had never been on before so we thought we would go check it out. It was Thanksgiving and the families weren't very forgiving for us missing dinner. Anyway, we were about 7 miles in and water was all around the road. We found out later that loggers back in the 50's built the road out of logs piled long ways and side sideways and then put dirt on top. My left front tire dropped through a hole and the 4x4 was useless. I put my arm in the hole all the way to my shoulder and it was nothing but water all the way down. We noticed all these large steel cages piled up on top of each other in two rows. About 30 cages all together about 75 yards away from where we got stuck.

Curious as they were, we had a long walk out ahead of us to a forestry tower off the main road. It was going to be dark soon. After about a mile we lucked out and a couple of local boys rode up in their truck and offered to go pull us out. They said they hadn't planned to come out that day, but at the last minute decided to take a ride to see what was out before diner. We kept seeing this scat we never saw before in Florida. It was long and looked like 2 pieces twisted together like a twisty tie, Weird looking the first time we saw it. Anyway, they said we were lucky they came out because the cats come out on the road to hunt at night. It was their scat apparently all over the road, The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission had brought in a bunch of other breeds of panther (though Panther is supposedly not the correct name, but it is what the FWC calls them), and those cages were where they released them to see if they could get them to mate with the Florida Panther population. They supposedly figured they didn't but about 3 years later they caught a young panther near Tallahassee (about 180 miles away) that had the DNA of one of the male Panthers released. and was a healthy 150lb male cat. BTW, technically they are a Puma, as were the ones released. But, if you Google Florida Panther it will come up. I guess they call a lot of cats Panther's but that is not truly their scientific name. Go Figure.

I never saw one in Florida. But, I had two Bobcats stalk me in a field about waist high with some type of grass.
Bobcat They wouldn't have taken me down, but they thought they could. I fired a round over their head and they left me alone. We have some nasty spiders too. That is one thing I miss in Michigan. I didn't have to worry about poisonous Pit-vipers. And the woods were clear to walk through. Florida is thick with vines and underbrush and you can't just walk through the woods like up North. I am looking forward to some cooler weather down here, but even winter weather is warm compared to Michigan. My parents are getting up there in age and I don't want to leave them to fend on their own. So, I will wait for the inevitable. I knew my dad was starting to lose iit when I was talking about property prices up there and he said he would move back there. lol, my mother almost hit him with a frying pan! I think he was thinking about the old times and it is never the same when everyone you knew has been long gone. However, I could get a nice home and a few acres of land up there relatively cheap compared to prices down here. I never lived out west and I always had wanted to move to Colorado. Good hunting and winter sports there too. However, property is expensive from what I looked at, but the economy is better than in Michigan.

I also have to research doctors and see what is available in the pain management regime up there. It is very different depending what state you are in. Florida, Texas, and California are pretty much the same aong those lines. After so many surgeries (23 in all) and considering the cold may have a bad impact on my pain it is one of those things that matters. I have about 7 or 8 inches of medical records - diagnostics, mri's, etc., etc. and most pain management docs (anesthesiologists mainly) basically ask me what I need when I give them my records. But I hear in some states certain pain medicine drugs are outlawed period. I know a friend that was traveling through North Carolina and had some OC's in his suitcase and they dumped them on the hood in the rain and counted them all because if he was more than 2 off he would have been arrested. And apparently in Alaska it is pretty much the same attitude. Florida passed laws like Texas and California to help protect true pain management treatment. My stepson needs 2 hip and 2 knee replacements and can't get his meds filled. His pharmacist got fined by the DEA for filling them for his particular doctor. My doc said he has no worries with my records. I have a legitimate doctor though, no doc in a box. Although every time I go to the pharmacy they seem to have a conference about them and call a couple of places before they say they will fill them. It isn't an option in my case, but that is how they are cracking down on what has been a big problem in Florida of doctors charging cash and selling scripts and make a quick couple of million and know they are going to lose their license but don't care for some reason. Tired of being a doc I guess, although you wouldn't think that is the case. Mainly it is in South Florida where the problems are mostly. However, I got to have a doctor before I run off and move somewhere. Not to mention a good job. I am a RE Broker right now in Florida, so I really am not in a hurry to move unless I can get an engineering job, or get my Broker license where I am going, but it needs to be a good RE market. Tough to beat Florida for that.

edit on 17/9/14 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

join