It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Germany's Merkel Calls For Russian Sanctions To Be Put Into Effect

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Germany's Merkel Calls For Russian Sanctions To Be Put Into Effect

BERLIN (AP) — German Chancellor Angela Merkel called Wednesday for the European Union to put new sanctions against Russia into effect immediately because peace plans for eastern Ukraine have not yet been implemented fully.

The EU has drawn up new measures against Russia over its actions in Ukraine but stopped short Monday of enforcing them right away. The new sanctions are expected to deepen earlier penalties targeting Russia's energy and arms sectors and tighten access to international loans.

Ambassadors from EU member countries were holding another meeting later Wednesday in Brussels on the sanctions.

Merkel told Germany's parliament it's important for peace plans drawn up by Ukraine and Russia to be put into effect and added that "a cease-fire and the release of prisoners are only two elements" of the plan.

Click link for remainder of article...

The cease fire article in question -
Poroshenko says east Ukraine 'radically changed' since truce

Kiev (AFP) - Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said on Wednesday that the situation in the war-torn east had changed dramatically since a truce was signed last week, with most Russian troops withdrawn.

But he again vowed that the separatist eastern regions, where the rebels have declared their own republics, would remain part of Ukraine, saying there was a "war for the independence and integrity" of the country.

"Ukraine will not make any concessions on issues of its territorial integrity," he told a cabinet meeting.

Despite the defiant tone from Poroshenko, a rebel leader insisted the separatists still intended to break away from Kiev's rule.

"We are not considering remaining part of Ukraine," Andrei Purgin, the deputy prime minister of the self-proclaimed Donetsk People's Republic, told AFP in Moscow.

Click link for remainder of article...

As i stated there are some issues still gumming up the works and once again its coming from the Pro Russian / Russian side. i really am not sure how the rebels can sign the document and then try and spin it to their favor.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

Americans didn't want to be part of British rule...
Donetsk & Lugansk don't want to be part of Ukrainian rule...

It's a civil War for independence & the people should get what they want... Not the government!

Where would the US be now if they never fought for independence...

But obviously due to Western interference, the US is the exception to the rule(pun intended!!!

Sanctions are interference before I'm harassed for saying so!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:05 AM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

If Russia has a right to interfere in the internal affairs of another nation then the west can decide which countries they will and will not do business with.

however, the point you missed is the fact both sides signed the agreement, but only one side is complying with it.

If the rebels and Russia wanted a different outcome then all they had to do was ignore the cease fire meeting.

As for your claim about not wanting to be a part of Ukraine - How do you know?

The election they held in both regions was not even accepted by Russia. Ukraine has a process for regions leaving the integrity of Ukraine, just like the US does. It requires a complete vote - by the people in the regions affected as well as people who are Ukrainian who will be affected by the departure.

Those elections have been held in the past and the votes were defeated. Do you think the rebels in those areas will accept a vote that is administered by Kiev, as their Constitution requires? I ask because there is evidence the votes held thus far, in Crimea and the 2 regions, were fraudulent.

So back to the question -
How do you know all the people in those regions want to split with Ukraine?
How many want to be independent?
How many wanted to become a part of Russia?

Would the rebels accept an outcome of being independent and not joining Russia? Do you think Russia would keep out of those regions should the bulk of people there want them to leave them alone?

You guys are to focuses on specifics and not the big picture.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   

How do you know all the people in those regions want to split with Ukraine?

Probably because of the civil war that's being fought!

& I never said all people... That'd be a ridiculous claim to make!

How many want to be independent?
How many wanted to become a part of Russia?

These questions are harder to answer to be honest...
We don't have the data to scrutinise or check!

however, the point you missed is the fact both sides signed the agreement, but only one side is complying with it.

I've yet to see a confirmation from any side that the ceasefire isn't being upheld!

Those elections have been held in the past and the votes were defeated. Do you think the rebels in those areas will accept a vote that is administered by Kiev, as their Constitution requires? I ask because there is evidence the votes held thus far, in Crimea and the 2 regions, were fraudulent.

Let an independent body with no side or gains to be made hold the election then...
Would you have trusted the British for a fair vote had you been part of the War of independence?
I wouldn't have!

You guys are to focuses on specifics and not the big picture.

What guys?
Respectfully asking!
What picture?
It's a civil war...
Usually takes a while to subside to get all the facts that many here claim to be privy to!

edit on 10-9-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: Auto-Correct!!!

edit on 10-9-2014 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   
When the US had it's war of independence there was a migration to Canada by what was called at the time the Loyalist's . I am of the belief that that war was manufactured in order to get Europeans to populate the North because it seems that the Five Eyes document describes a group of countries beholden to someone other then the respective countries .Sure the US comes across as the leader of the pack but I think they are beholden to the Bankers in London who are calling the shots .It just that pesky Putin fella that is raining on their parade and so he must be vilified and F&%$ the EU and the Ukrainian people .Merkel is just another one of the puppets being forced to toe the line F&*$ the German people as well .imo a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   

" It requires a complete vote - by the people in the regions affected as well as people who are Ukrainian who will be affected by the departure. "

Okay and Scotland is due to vote to leave the UK. And the Brits have no vote on it. Soooo yeah. Why would that be different? Both want to leave the main country to be their own country. But the serpartionists are willing to fight and die for it.

If only one side is going by the treaty, then why is Porashenko saying :

Kiev, Ukraine (CNN) -- Some 70% of the Russian troops believed to have been in Ukraine have withdrawn back across the border, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko said, according to the national news agency Ukrinform.

"This is another hope that peaceful initiatives have a good perspective," Poroshenko is quoted as saying during a Cabinet meeting in Kiev on Wednesday.

You say only one side is complying with said treaty,yet according to Poroshenko this is not true,if he is to be believed at all. Just another fat cat grub stealing all he can as far as I can see.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
a reply to: the2ofusr1

I'm not so sure about f# the German people...
But everything else you said makes a lot of sense!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

Because in Scotland the vote is something agreed upon by the UK.

A better comparison would be London wanting to cede from the UK and take a large chunk of the London metro area with them. They also only want the vote to occur in the regions they want to take with them, which could give legitimacy to a rigged vote, as we saw happen in Crimea, South / East Ukraine. It would also deny the entire UK the right to be heard on such an important vote. With that said you would need to factor in that the "rebel" forces in London refuse to allow any credentialed observers in to make sure the vote is fair and lawful.

The Ukraine Constitution details how those votes take place. It also does not help that the leaders of those breakaway republics were being led by Russian citizens and not Ukrainians.

The rebels new exactly what they were signing and even then they are going to ignore the parts that the cease fire is based on. They are refusing to release control of their border crossings as the treaty calls for. They are refusing to disarm as the treaty calls for etc etc.

A question -
Should Russia return land to Germany it illegally occupied / still occupies at the end of WWII?

I ask because the area in question was not only a part of Germany for a looooong time, the population was forcibly removed by Stalin and repopulated with Russians. So to use the argument about the number of "ethnic" whatever has no basis (which is one of the justifications Putin gave).
edit on 10-9-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: CharlieSpeirs

Americans didn't want to be part of British rule...
Donetsk & Lugansk don't want to be part of Ukrainian rule...

It's a civil War for independence & the people should get what they want... Not the government!

Where would the US be now if they never fought for independence...

But obviously due to Western interference, the US is the exception to the rule(pun intended!!!

Sanctions are interference before I'm harassed for saying so!

The people in that area have not supported the rebels. Since the rebels are mostly from outside of Ukraine and they have done nothing but rob and scare the locals this is no suprise. The idea that these people were pefectly happy being a part of Ukraine for decades until one day Russia's arrived and declared they wanted independence and launched a rebellion is beyond silly. It was only until recently the entire rebel leadership was from Russia. Before the Russian came openly into the fighting and the rebels had collapsed all the Russians in leadership quit and ran back to Russia. Nobody buys the idea the places wants independence even the Russian barely remember to go with that story.

And what is bad for Putin is Germany was pretty tight with Russia at one point. Putin just keeps doing the dumb thing and forcing Germanys hand.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: the2ofusr1
When the US had it's war of independence there was a migration to Canada by what was called at the time the Loyalist's .

that is a nice way of putting it. many of those loyalists, were forced to move to Canada. many loosing most of their possessions. it was not done by choice, but at the point of a gun. leave or be killed. they are called United Empire Loyalists, and many families still don't forgive the Americans for the treatment they received. in fact many areas are still proud of their United Empire Loyalist roots and proudly proclaim it as a badge of honer.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Sorry I didnt mean to say F&%$ the German people myself but that Merkel by toeing the Washington was basically saying that . a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I do realize what you are saying to be correct .But if they hadn't been pushed here then Canada could not have expanded as quickly as tptb wanted .The first wave of settlers were farmers and had been put into the interior using the river systems and then cart paths . The Loyalist were more industrialist and caused the roads and rail to be established to extract the resources . I like to visit old grave yards and look at the dates and names to picture just what was happening and imagine the hidden hands behind the scenes forcing things to what we see today . a reply to: generik

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:19 PM
link   

…new sanctions against Russia into effect immediately because peace plans for eastern Ukraine have not yet been implemented fully.

Peace… or else!

once again its coming from the Pro Russian / Russian side. i really am not sure how the rebels can sign the document and then try and spin it to their favor.

Wait… are they "Russians" or "rebels"? They can't be both. But just so we're clear:

Russia had nothing to do with the Putsch in Kiev back in February.

The "Eastern Ukrainians" that want to separate aren't "Pro Russian" ether. They just don't want to belong to a country that is run by people that wear hoods and burn mountains of tires. Neither would I.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: MrSpad

This is simply not correct.

You have absolutely zero proof to back up this claim with, I am absolutely certain that you base your opinion on what the BBC, Cnn have been saying. Your recent posts on this subject had become filled with more and more bs.

All that you can give us as a some half-proof is that there in fact people from all over the Ukraine and Russia going there and fighting in that war!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

www.spinwatch.org...

The new Ukraine government is illegal and the Ukraine constitution is tattered and torn,so please don't bring that into this debate when they ignored it and ousted a former president and replaced him and then racist right wing groups got positions of power in the actual cabinet

All done quickly after the fatherland party murdered 80 civilians and police men

That's politics for you,blood on your hands and no morality or ethics and you get a seat in power and the incident is never to be investigated

Sickening

Russia might as well close down the gas pipe to Europe,the writings on the wall American companies will be supplying gas to Europe so they might as well

Potus mentioned recently America could supply Europe with gas,that's been the plan

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Christ

For a minute there I thought she would sit Germany out of this and continue to allow the EU to be bullied by these communists

Few

Perhaps when the gas gets turned of in Putins final tantrum we can expect the Russian federation to collapse in a heap just like the Soviet Union when they have no income other than selling vodka

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:38 AM
link   
a reply to: Whereismypassword

Tell that to Putin, who has acknowledged the current government in Kiev as lawful and legitimate.

The same cannot be said of the rebels.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis
Christ

For a minute there I thought she would sit Germany out of this and continue to allow the EU to be bullied by these communists

Few

Perhaps when the gas gets turned of in Putins final tantrum we can expect the Russian federation to collapse in a heap just like the Soviet Union when they have no income other than selling vodka

Ukraine already warned Europe Russia was gonna be cutting off the gas... Russia gas denied it but today we have reports from Poland and Germany of up to a 20% decrease in gas coming from Russia.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nikola014
a reply to: MrSpad

This is simply not correct.

You have absolutely zero proof to back up this claim with, I am absolutely certain that you base your opinion on what the BBC, Cnn have been saying. Your recent posts on this subject had become filled with more and more bs.

All that you can give us as a some half-proof is that there in fact people from all over the Ukraine and Russia going there and fighting in that war!

The provide the information and links to your sources that supports your position... Simply dismissing information and not supporting your position does no good.

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 01:41 AM
link   
a reply to: generik

It was by choice their chuckles. If you are going to lecture on American history please know what you are talking about.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join