It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ebola seriously threatens Liberia's national existence

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Saw this this morning and is now being reported on most news sites :

Reuters have this to say :

Liberia's national existence is "seriously threatened" by the deadly Ebola virus that is "spreading like wild fire and devouring everything in its path," the country's national defense minister told the United Nations Security Council on Tuesday.

Liberia is worst hit by West Africa's Ebola epidemic and will likely see thousands of new cases in coming weeks, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said on Monday. More than 1,000 people have already died in Liberia.

More here : www.reuters.com...

A little about Liberia :

Liberia, officially the Republic of Liberia, is a country in West Africa bordered by Sierra Leone to its west, Guinea to its north and Ivory Coast to its east.

It covers an area of 111,369 square kilometres (43,000 sq mi) and is home to about 4 million people. English is the official language and over thirty indigenous languages are also spoken within the country.

A tiny country such as Liberia threatened by Ebola and thousands of new cases expected in the coming weeks...

I am not looking forward to the outcome in Africa as a whole if this turns out to happen...

Not looking forward either to the "possible" flood of fleeing migrants from west Africa into Europe which could make matters MUCH worse...

Although the tiny island of Lampedusa which is just on our doorstep sees a substantial flow of northern African migrants, this could well become a possible target for people from west Africa too...

Why Lampedusa remains an island of hope for migrants :

Despite the death toll, boatloads of migrants still pour into Lampedusa – where the islanders' compassionate welcome is at odds with Italy's harsh immigration law...

More here : www.theguardian.com...

Thoughts and opinions?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

edit on 10/9/14 by Rodinus because: Word added

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Rodinus

A few weeks ago this was called a micro break and limited to one country. Now its jumping ahead of efforts to control it, crossing borders into five countries.

Countries with widespread and intense transmission are Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. As of 6 September, a total of 4,269 including probable, confirmed and suspected cases and 2,288 deaths have been reported from these countries.

Source

Exponential numbers to follow.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: intrptr

A few weeks ago this was called a micro break and limited to one country. Now its jumping ahead of efforts to control it, crossing borders into five countries.

Countries with widespread and intense transmission are Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone. As of 6 September, a total of 4,269 including probable, confirmed and suspected cases and 2,288 deaths have been reported from these countries.

Source

Exponential numbers to follow.

Exactly...

The Western worlds leaders needs to stop their squabbling and war mongering and work on a solution for THIS crisis right now before it is too late... It may already be too late sadly.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:39 AM
link   

I read about it and posted about it in the big Thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It really does look like the Population of Liberia will be reduced substantially.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:44 AM
link   

It may already be too late sadly.

One problem with containment is the idea of countries and what we call borders (lines on a map).

Ebola doesn't know from countries, all it sees is red meat.

You are right. Unless the wider world gets off its wider ass and does something soon…
the biggest hindrance to that now is going to be who and how much.

The borders mentality says, Its that countries responsibility or, its Africas responsibility as a whole. Thats how we disassociate ourselves from the responsibility.

Yah, do something I rail from my keyboard. But I'm not going there, are you? We are all guilty of looking the other way until it bites us in the blood. There will be a tipping point to it. When the number of cases actually causes people in mass to flee across those borders, then we'll see a firestorm of plague.

ETA:

edit on 10-9-2014 by intrptr because: YouTube

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: TruthxIsxInxThexMist

I read about it and posted about it in the big Thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It really does look like the Population of Liberia will be reduced substantially.

Thanks Truth.

I decided to create a seperate thread concerning the Liberia story as looking at the posts some people have overlooked the original thread and passed onto something else, so it is always good to refresh memories from time to time.

Please feel free to add your comments here too.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I think we are dancing as fast as we can.

We are not magicians and can't solve all the world's problems at once.
They are working round the clock on vaccines, trying to educate, and sending care providers.

I think we are doing the best we can in several horrific events.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting
I think we are dancing as fast as we can.

We are not magicians and can't solve all the world's problems at once.
They are working round the clock on vaccines, trying to educate, and sending care providers.

I think we are doing the best we can in several horrific events.

I think most of intelligent people here already know this Lady...

However...

The Western world knew a very long time ago that this type of epidemic come pandemic was dripping off the end of our noses and have had plenty of time to work on it...

I myself having already worked in virology research know very well that vaccine research has been going on for many years concerning Ebola and company...

Yet again however, what is deeply worrying is the fact that the decision makers on all sides are just now starting to panic when stricter quarantine measures should have been taken quite a while ago...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:08 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

I seriously think you're wrong. When trying to combat a pandemic, no matter what it is, the only answer is isolation. Why wont people grasp the nettle. Yes the international community should shoulder some responsibility like aiding the poor medical responses but the biggest thing that the international community really should do (which EVERYONE doesn't like) is send masses of military personnel(not to fight but logistically patrol ) to close borders to close town and city boundaries to contain the disease. Ok it's bad to say for all the unaffected people in these areas but if this is not done it could take the world. The most stupidest acts ever was shipping those infected back to their countries for treatment, the US and UK guilty. Any medic will tell you the only way to combat a pandemic is containment. That word there means isolating towns, cities countries and even continents. Ebola at the moment is transmitted by person to person contact. The disease knows no borders but it's not the disease that's spreading itself, it's the people that's infected that's spreading it.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:26 AM
link   

How many balls can the US have in the air at one time?

Should we distribute untested vaccines only to be sued later because somebody had a sick baby, or developed cancer, or is sterile, or God knows what from untested vaccines?

Anytime there is a problem, it's "oh where have you gone, USA? Our countries turn it hurtful eyes to you".

It's not like we don't try. We try and try and try. We are in a constant state of trying to help the world, sometimes by putting our own needs on the back burner.

And don't get me wrong. I want us to continue to help other countries as long as we can, and the best we can.

I think the criticism here is too harsh. We don't want them to have this epidemic. We didn't give it to them. And we are trying to help them.

Do you remember after the earthquake hit Haiti, how we rushed to their aid? We took water, and water, and water-cleansing equipment, and I think it was Sean Penn who went over there, and raised money for water cleansing, and education about dirty water. Then a few years later, they tried to sue the US because "they didn't have cholera until the Americans came".

No good deed goes unpunished anymore. Not as far as the US is concerned.
edit on 9/10/2014 by ladyinwaiting because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: ladyinwaiting

How many balls can the US have in the air at one time?

Should we distribute untested vaccines only to be sued later because somebody had a sick baby, or developed cancer, or is sterile, or God knows what from untested vaccines?

Anytime there is a problem, it's "oh where have you gone, USA? Our countries turn it hurtful eyes to you".

It's not like we don't try. We try and try and try. We are in a constant state of trying to help the world, sometimes by putting our own needs on the back burner.

And don't get me wrong. I want us to continue to help other countries as long as we can, and the best we can.

I think the criticism here is too harsh. We don't want them to have this epidemic. We didn't give it to them. And we are trying to help them.

Do you remember after the storms hit Haiti, how we rushed to their aid? We took water, and water, and water-cleansing equipment, and I think it was Sean Penn who went over there, and raised money for water cleansing, and education about dirty water. Then a few years later, they tried to sue the US because "they didn't have cholera until the Americans came".

No good deed goes unpunished anymore. Not as far as the US is concerned.

I am not just talking about ONLY the US here... I live in Europe...

This is a matter for GLOBAL leaders to get together and act upon as a united front before this situation gets totally out of hand...

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Rodinus, I agree with you completely, I do. Our differences lie in I happen to believe we are doing the best we can.

As far as' we could have worked on this a long while back' .... well maybe we could, and maybe we even tried, I don 't know. But I know when you are putting out multiple fires, there is little time to work on the flooding issues that might come in the future.

We seem to be working as a "triage" globally these days. Whoever is closest to death, are the ones we have to see about first.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I think the horse has not only left the barn but is half way across the next county.

it does seem well out of control now and there are going to have to be some hard choices made soon
to contain the spread it is not going to be nice or easy and will cost a lot of lives.

you have to wonder though if there are "interests" that would be only to happy to strip
the population out of those mineral rich areas to eventually insert their own staff?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

I seriously think you're wrong.

Abut what specifically? First you say that then echo my sentiments. Maybe you thought I meant that closing borders won't work? That containment won't work?

That would be to misunderstand my point. People see divisions between countries, Ebola doesn't. If you were familiar with my position on this, I have all along been calling for forced containment along geographical boundaries like rivers, bridges, etc. Not border crossings, people can hike around those.

A no mans land or strip of land that is clear should be declared and shoot to kill orders enforced. The video I brought of the mob facing a dozen soldiers in an alleyway with no barricade is too little too late.

I get that.

As well that countries that aren't directly involved aren't going to foot that bill or slaughter refugees. It would be considered a crime. Locals can't shoot their own and foreigners would be charged with Genocide.

Besides, who's going to pay for the enormous cost? How do you surround an entire country (or five)?

That word there means isolating towns, cities countries and even continents.

Good luck with that, our budgets are stretched kind of thin at the moment. Besides its "not our problem".

And thats why it will continue to spread.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

edit on 10-9-2014 by intrptr because: My bad, double post.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:12 AM
link   
Unfortunately, this is the result of the world's lack of action. We have allowed it to happen and now a country is almost devastated. Maybe others will follow.

And when I say the world/we, I mean all leaders and the people too. I haven't seen any protests urging our governments to take action, at least not here in Brazil.

This is very sad news.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: crayzeed
a reply to: intrptr

I seriously think you're wrong. When trying to combat a pandemic, no matter what it is, the only answer is isolation. Why wont people grasp the nettle. Yes the international community should shoulder some responsibility like aiding the poor medical responses but the biggest thing that the international community really should do (which EVERYONE doesn't like) is send masses of military personnel(not to fight but logistically patrol ) to close borders to close town and city boundaries to contain the disease. Ok it's bad to say for all the unaffected people in these areas but if this is not done it could take the world. The most stupidest acts ever was shipping those infected back to their countries for treatment, the US and UK guilty. Any medic will tell you the only way to combat a pandemic is containment. That word there means isolating towns, cities countries and even continents. Ebola at the moment is transmitted by person to person contact. The disease knows no borders but it's not the disease that's spreading itself, it's the people that's infected that's spreading it.

Agree with all that you say.

The best way to defeat this Virus is to contain it and that means stopping all flights to and from the affected areas (apart fro Doctors, Nurses etc etc..). Its the only way to stop it. Continuing o as normal is quite stupid If i'm honest and the Authorities are playing pretty dumb on this. Even it were to wipe out Liberia, at least that's better than the whole World!!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Today I read an article in a German newspaper.
A German woman who runs a clinic for the poor people in Monrovia was reporting about dead people in the streets that are eaten by dogs.
It seems like Liberia can't be saved anymore, you can only try to rescue as much as possible.
I guess, by the end of the year, we will see numbers that are far over all estimations.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Seems people are most concerned about themselves, and don't care that nations are being destroyed. Hopefully, the fact that this epidemic is threatening West Africa's oil industry -and the global oil supply- will tweak a different selfish-survival gene.

posted on Sep, 16 2014 @ 01:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Seems people are most concerned about themselves, and don't care that nations are being destroyed. Hopefully, the fact that this epidemic is threatening West Africa's oil industry -and the global oil supply- will tweak a different selfish-survival gene.

I couldn't agree more Soficrow.

By the way... A million thanks for your updates on Ebola (not sure if Druid has contacted you yet, but would you be interested in participating on ATS out of the box?) please send me a U2U.

Have you heard about the 2 doctors in the Netherlands that have been repatriated?

Kindest respects

Rodinus

new topics

top topics

join