It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Iran Starts Largest Military Drills Ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:24 PM
link   
In what appears to be a deterrant to thoughts of the US attacking, the Iranian Army started conducting extensive ground force and weaponry exercises along the border with Iraq on December 3. The tests included missiles, rockets, APC's, main battle tanks and UAV's developed over the last decade, and many introduced over the last two years. 10 infantry divisions are involved, as well as the Iranian air force, covering an area of 100,000 square kilometers.

www.worldtribune.com
Iran has launched what officials termed its largest military exercise ever.

Officials said the Iran Army began the exercise on Dec. 3 in western Iran near the border with Iraq. They said the aim of the exercise was to demonstrate ground force capabilities and weaponry in an effort to deter any attack from the United States.

During the live fire exercise, Iranian infantry troops fired mortars and rocket-propelled grenades in an effort to block a mock ground invasion from Iraq. The air force was said to have transported equipment as well as carried out attacks in support of the ground forces.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This makes me wonder if they are acting on intel of a ground invasion, which so far on ATS the concensus seems to be is not likely. While pre-emptive strikes have been discussed as a possibility, can you guys believe that the US would really consider a ground invasion of Iran? Can we really afford this considering our other military commitments? I would have expected reports of bunker hardening and concealment, maybe, but this is just too weird. They are reported to be the largest ground force military exercises EVER.

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
WAR: Iran Holds Major Military Exercises Near Border
Iran Holds Major Military Exercises Near Border

[edit on 6-12-2004 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Hey, you never know what Mr. Bush wants to do, after all perhaps God tells him in one of his regular chats, that it will be better to invade the country, who knows may be God will help him with all the help he may need.

After all is a crusade against the evil Islam. Right.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The "Axis of Evil" as Bush put it, included Iran. Two countries on that axis have already been invaded by the United States and coalition forces so that leaves little doubt that the axis list is no mere threat. Its a hit list and Iran is preparing for this tragic eventuality.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:28 PM
link   
If it does happen, I wholeheartedly believe that Iran will be a formidable opponent. Whenever they go through these excercises it only helps them to become more organized and dsiciplined. Perhaps they are also dispatching these drills in an effort to prevent any special forces/covert operations teams from infiltrating the borders and striking a target or gathering intelligence. Interesting to know that Iran has UAV's as well. Maybe both sides will strap weapons on them and enjoy an unmanned air battle

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 07:40 PM
link   
TrueAmerican said:
". While pre-emptive strikes have been discussed as a possibility, can you guys believe that the US would really consider a ground invasion of Iran? Can we really afford this considering our other military commitments? "

Why not? The US has attacked many other countries, the last being
Iraq. Did our other "military commitments" make any difference then?

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Would it be outlandish to consider the opposite? With Iraq a mess and US forces spread so thin, as the article states is an issue, couldn't an Iranian invasion of Iraq be possible? Insurgents are indeed MUSLIM fundamentalists and Islamic Iran already has a large Kurdish population, the two would meld together nicely. Is Iran sitting on nukes that no one knows about? Perhaps they're picking a fight; and if they don't win then no one does.

EDIT: Spelling

[edit on 12-6-2004 by insite]

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Very interesting point indeed, insite. In fact, the more I think about it, you might be dead on the money. From their standpoint, I can see where they may be seriously thinking about it. America is continuing to publicize that they have some kind of evidence that Iran is developing WMD's, despite the recent deal with the IAEA. And why let our force get any stronger in Iraq? Maybe you should start a new thread on this subject, seeing as you brought up the point. And seeing as you know Iran has to be looking at the facts about how the recent war in Iraq was started with no formal declaration of war issued, as required by our Constitution, they may be particularly worried that strikes could begin anyday, and without warning.

[edit on 6-12-2004 by TrueAmerican]

Sep

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I seriously doubt that Iran will invade Iraq. First off, Iraq is a flat ground therefor it is good for the side with more technology. Iran is not going to send in their forces to get slaughtered in open desert.

And I also seriously doubt that US is going to invade Iran. The "Millennium Challenge" showed that Iran could do alot of damage if it wanted to. Iran can defend its own seas and has alot of anti-air missiles, including one of the best shoulder launched missiles. It could harass the supplies of the soldiers and on the ground it could kill many people by its sheer numbers. 10 million armed and trained militia is not something I would want to go against.

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Bush's exit strategy. "The terrorists have moved to Iran, and we will pursue them and leave Iraq to bask in it's newly found freedoms, and we will prevail, we will be resolute, it's hard work, very hard work..."

PS. Is it just me, or is any speech Bush gives sound exactly the same as the previous one?...

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:03 PM
link   
I think it is a smart move on Irans part to show their might and run some excercises. I would certainly do it if in their sandals. I also do not think Iran would make a preliminary attack even though they have threatened it in the past. They will most certainly fire missles on troops in Iraq if Israel bombs their nuclear facilities. They will consider this as an attack by the US.

Sep

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
The "Axis of Evil" as Bush put it, included Iran. Two countries on that axis have already been invaded by the United States

Actually only one has been invaded. Iraq, North Korea and Iran were the axis, i believe and only Iraq has been taken out because they didnt have the means to protect themselves. Iran has bought a couple of nukes and North Korea has made a few, that is why the US has not invaded them.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   
TrueAmerican is that clause really in the American constitution? (declare war)?

But America didn't declare war in Korea or Viet Nam or two dozen other places it's military invaded, so why would this be different?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Actually, it was my understanding that the clause is in the constitution, but just to be sure, I went and researched it....And boy, did I open open up a big can of worms.

Without getting into lengthy details, suffice it to say that the power to declare war is STILL a hotly debated topic, with no clear answers. Some interpret the war clauses to mean that the congress must approve of any war first, even though the President is given official control of the military. Others would have it (and especially the Presidents themselves) that the President can use the military at will, and with impunity. Even in the face of the War Powers Act, which seeks to limit the President's ability to use the military, the debate still remains.

After all the reading on the subject I just did (about 3 hours worth), I am firmly on the side that the original intent of the Constitution, given it's nature to cautiously implement a fair system of checks and balances, meant that in order for the President to INITIATE unprovoked military action, Congressional approval must first be sought. If we are attacked however, I think it would be fair in the interests of national security that the President should be able to respond in kind, quickly, and without congressional approval. Definately the subject of another thread, which I may start in the near future, unless any of you care to.

Look, listen, research, and learn. Me loves this place!

Regards,
TA

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thorfinn Skullsplitter
Bush's exit strategy. "The terrorists have moved to Iran, and we will pursue them and leave Iraq to bask in it's newly found freedoms, and we will prevail, we will be resolute, it's hard work, very hard work..."

PS. Is it just me, or is any speech Bush gives sound exactly the same as the previous one?...

Ahh, so that's how he's going to get out.
That actually does sound like a plan that he could use.
Rather than 'pulling out' it would be a reloaction of troops to a new battlefeild.
He could sell that one to the public and to congress and it wouldn't seem like he's cutting and running from Iraq.

top topics

join