It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Introducing Hiromi Uehara - a True Modern Master

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:06 PM
link   
A few years ago a friend of mine showed me a live video of Hiromi Uehara's song "XYZ" (2005) and it absolutely floored me. They call it "jazz fusion," but I'd describe it as a wild, groovy, and explosive expression of musical color.

Give the track a good listen and watch the passion flow out of this contemporary Master pianist. Even if you're not a fan of jazz I'm sure you'll find her invigorating to say the least.

Notice how she uses dissonance and staggered rhythms to create tension with such precision. This track showcases this.

In "Return of the Kung Fu World Champion" she breaks out the Korg alongside the piano in a straight up jam, which definitely earns it's title.

Lastly, I'd like to share another side of Hiromi: her solo renditions of classic piano songs. My favorite is the relentless "I've Got Rhythm"

I wrote this thread to share with ATS a hugely unknown modern master, IMO. Enjoy, and share your thoughts. If you like her, look her up! She's got a wife variety of material available, but these are my personal favorites...

edit on 9-9-2014 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Aqualung2012
Thanks for sharing and reminding me who this is
I only recently started to explore jazz but remember coming across Hiromi on youtube in a live duet with Chick Corea, both exceptionally talented pianists, but Hiromi blew me away

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
holy balls man...im into it.
she has a new fan. now i am on the hunt to get everything she has ever done

thanks for the new find.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Oh yeah! It is in this girl's genes and comes out through her whole being as she interprets a piece. She has a really beautiful touch and is truly one with that instrument. I had not heard of her before, so I'm grateful that you introduced her. Thanks loads. Sorry that S&F is all I can give you.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: All

I almost cried the first time I heard XYX. Extenuating circumstances were involved if you follow. But yes, she's something special to be sure. That song makes me think of a Rat running all around a city looking for trouble lol...

Thanks for listening!

edit on 9-9-2014 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Aqualung2012

I just watched the Summertime video with Chick Corea and they certainly were having a blast together. What fun, although the familiar tune was hard to detect. It sadly brings to mind a similar one-time rare episode I had with an organ salesman and to my chagrin, my hubby spent our house down payment on a "surprise present" of an organ for me. Romantic perhaps, but in fact I do not like the organ sound. So much for my dream home, sigh.
edit on 10-9-2014 by aboutface because: (no reason given)

top topics

join