It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Unveils Watch (Vid At Link)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Apple (NASDAQ: AAPL) has introduced a new Apple Watch just after introducing the new iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus.

Apple Watch, which starts at $349, will be available in early 2015. The watch requires iPhone models 5 and newer, meaning 200 million people can already use Apple Watch, Cook said. In addition, the newly introduced payment system Apple Pay will work with Apple Watch.

Apple CEO Tim Cook teased the highly-anticipated watch with founder Steve Jobs' signature "one more thing" introduction, to a standing ovation.

Cook explained that the watch is a customizable timepiece.

"Because you wear it, we invented new intimate ways to connect and communicate directly from your wrist and it works seamless with iPhone," Cook said. "And it’s also a comprehensive health and fitness device."

I've been reading a liveblog of the event, and I'm very impressed with what this watch is going to be able to do. You're going to need an iPhone 5 or newer, but if you've already got that covered this looks like an awesome piece of technology.

There are going to be 3 variants. Standard, sport and "Apple edition". The sport will feature a stronger case (apparently 60% stronger) and the "Apple edition" will be 18k gold.

There's a definite focus on customization, with a number of different straps. You can change the colors and background picture and what the watch displays as default. So you can have just a standard looking watch face, or a digital watch with a timer, weather, phases of the Moon (and you can zoom out to see the solar system), and probably a host of other things.

It will display twitter, pinterest, phone calls and texts (and more). When you get a text the predictive software will give you a list of answers it thinks are most likely appropriate. You can even text someone with a drawing you do on the thing. If you feel so inclined you can 'buzz' a friend wearing the watch, or if you're incredibly sappy/weird have two watches that display a significant others heartbeat.

It has maps. I'm pretty excited about that. Hate messing with my phone while I drive and don't like leaving a GPS unit in my car. It will give you little vibrations and acknowledge when you turn the right direction and display the map on your wrist while driving or walking.

There's a big emphasis on fitness and the watch is going to be able to monitor heart rate and what kind of activity you've done in a given day. It will encourage you to go exercise if you haven't met the 1/2 hour daily. It also knows what kind of activity you're doing, hiking, cycling, jogging or walking. You can earn rewards and compare against people you know.

You can use the thing as a viewfinder for your phones camera, a walkie talkie and other fun stuff.

The bezel and screen and side buttons all help you navigate and the bezel can tell the difference between a tap and a push. Not to mention Siri.

Link

edit on 0920140920141 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Domo1
Now that Apple has reinvented time some poor scientist will have to recalculate Einstein's theory of time.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Forgot to add that the thing is going to be able to make payments at many places. Just swipe your wrist and boom, done.

I'm also looking forward to being able to control my AppleTV from my wrist instead of the way too easy to lose remote.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Hiya Domo, has that catlady hacked your avatar? Notify Admin and they'll do their best

I feel like one of those dinosaurs who said stuff like, 'Wheel? Ha! It'll never catch on.' Or the genius worrying that people would die if they travelled faster than horse.

When I see these watches, they're impressive and still leave me thinking, 'Why bother?'

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Kandinsky

I got sick of the cat for some reason. It may come back in time (ugh). Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'm kinda feeling the same way. If your phone can already do all this, what's the point? For me it's going to be the fitness and customizable stuff. Also being able to read text messages without taking out my phone when I'm in certain situations.

That and I just geek out over stuff like this.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:31 PM
link   

When I see these watches, they're impressive and still leave me thinking, 'Why bother?'

My thoughts exactly.

I'm a computer nerd and I love to see the new tech that comes out, but most of it I have no need or use for. Hell, I still use a regular flip phone. Don't have a smart phone and no need for it. I need to make phone calls and text messages. I have no need for mobile social media, GPS, flappy-angry bird games or barcode scanner apps to tell me how many calories I just forked in to my mouth.

Other people enjoy the latest new tech, but I will stick to what I can actually use.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:41 PM
link   
I like your avatar now.
It's catless. Color is good too.

Apple watch? Ehhh. I quit wearing a watch ever since they came out with cell phones.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:42 PM
link   
a reply to: sheepslayer247

Curmudgeon.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I love living in the future that i thought was only in comic books. Simply amazing. I remember when a watch was just for telling time on the go.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: butcherguy

I knew it looked familiar. Weird coincidence. I just changed it this morning from being all white too without seeing yours. Perhaps subliminal f*ry.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I can hear the Apple nerds now:

"OOOOOOOO", AHHHHHHHHH, Look at all the pretty colours."

The real world I saying:

"Whatever dudes, I don't play games on my Samsung and it has a decent clock. Who cares if your mother and father buy you a new phone to impress your high school buddies anyway?"

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Girlfriend just texted me about it.

"Yeah but that means you'd have to wear a watch. And look like a doofus."

I hate wearing watches. I don't mind looking like a doofus.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kandinsky

Hiya Domo, has that catlady hacked your avatar? Notify Admin and they'll do their best

I feel like one of those dinosaurs who said stuff like, 'Wheel? Ha! It'll never catch on.' Or the genius worrying that people would die if they travelled faster than horse.

because we can. and because if we dont test our limits, we might spend the rest of our lives wondering what would have happened if we had.
edit on 9-9-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cynic

The real world I saying:

"Whatever dudes, I don't play games on my Samsung and it has a decent clock. Who cares if your mother and father buy you a new phone to impress your high school buddies anyway?"

one step closer to the hands-free I-Ris that sits comfortably on your eyeball and serves every function of the traditional IPhone. we can't just jumpt there, so we might as well enjoy the steps it takes to reach that plateu. your response is like my asking a painter what good it does to record a bowl of fruit on canvas.

"I enjoy it"

and sometimes, thats really all the reason necessary.
edit on 9-9-2014 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

The real world I saying:

one step closer to the hands-free I-Ris that sits comfortably on your eyeball and serves every function of the traditional IPhone. we can't just jumpt there, so we might as well enjoy the steps it takes to reach that plateu. your response is like my asking a painter what good it does to record a bowl of fruit on canvas.

"I enjoy it"

You get a thumbs up for making me laugh! It's still I-Candy IMHO.
Cheers.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:20 PM
link   
It must be the only watch on the planet that's made of gold and costs over $400 and will be worthless in three years. I think I will skip this one cheers apple
edit on 9/9/14 by On the level because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   

I'm the same on the fitness apps - mapmyrun and runkeeper. That has to include GPS and those fancy-ass GPS watches do it already...if I could justify buying one lol. I had a Sony phone that had me running 6k in 26mins when my PB is 21+ for 5k and it was obviously massaging my ego for nefarious purposes. : )

I do like the idea of scrolling texts on a watch although I haven't worn a watch in years.

I got my first android last year after doing just fine on 'normal' phones. Text, calls and checking the scores on pitiful browsers was enough. Also music - gotta have a lot of music on my phones.

All the other guff doesn't really matter, but once you've indulged in it, it's hard to go back. Dropbox, Kindle and the fitness apps are just cool. Likewise, it's good to have the email services.

All that aside, I've no urge to own Apple products.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

The real world I saying:

"I enjoy it"

You get a thumbs up for making me laugh! It's still I-Candy IMHO.
Cheers.

thanks! just making a point. sure as hell wont be waiting in lijne for a watch with wifi though. my phone is more than practical enough for now.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   
I like it
reminds me a lot of Samsungs smartwatch

any comments from google glasses ?
edit on 9-9-2014 by blacktie because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Domo1

Curmudgeon.

What did you call me, sucka?

No, I'm not angry or bitter about it. I just have no need for a lot of the latest gadgets and apps. I pay attention to computer tech and gaming systems, but I don't care about phones or watches (dont wear one because of my job). I also don't hold it against people if they do like and use the new gadgets and such. To each their own.

I had a smart phone a couple years ago and ended up going back to a regular phone after I noticed I really never used it. I have a PC at work and multiple PC's at home, so I could do everything I needed on those machines. Also, I only get calls or texts from either work or my wife. It's pitiful how much I do not use my phone.

Guess that comes with being an introvert.

Also, I am a music buff and I never leave home without my MP3 player. It's loaded with music and hours of audiobooks, lectures and interviews. So I'm right there with you on the music aspect.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join