It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Burger recipe revisted

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

Frankly, the best burgers I have ever cooked, that I would hold up for comparison with anyone else's are simple affairs.

80/20 beef. Montreal steak seasoning. Hickory chunks. 1/3 lb patties.

Start the fire with briquets, once ready I put the hickory chunks on top and once they start then I start grilling. I have grilled 50 burgers this way in one sitting and had rave reviews.

Important aspects: Do not overcook the burgers and serve them hot n juicy.

If you try to get too fancy, likely the flavor will not be what you want. You want your burgers to be beefy, juicy and mouth watering.

The KISS principal works well with burgers.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   

I would dearly like to hear about the maple flavored potatoes!!

Please expand on those!! That sounds fantastically unique and yummy!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:36 PM
link   
a reply to: bbracken677

Was saving my 5000th post for a survival thread but this is just as good.

Cut the potatoes and soak in cold water in the fridge overnight before cooking them...it makes the texture perfect and somewhat fluffy if thats the right word.

Boil them until almost ready and fry in a pan to finish them off with the seasonings and add maple syrup (Canadian so maple syrup is a must)
For spices...you can do a small pinch of oregano or rosemary....actually,whatever suits you and floats your boat.

You can abandon the frying pan and go for tinfoil (being on this site...no pun intended) and toss them in the oven or on the BBQ.
I like adding green pepper and onion...your call on what to add though,everyone has their ways so,nothing is wrong.

5000th post...if its not in survival,I am glad its in a food thread.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: DrumsRfun
Cut the potatoes and soak in cold water in the fridge overnight before cooking them...it makes the texture perfect and somewhat fluffy if thats the right word.

What that actually does it remove the starch from the potatoes and keeps them from absorbing water in the coking process. So in a way it will lend itself to a dryer or 'fluffy' potato.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Congrats on 5000!!!

You can abandon the frying pan and go for tinfoil (being on this site...no pun intended) and toss them in the oven or on the BBQ.

No pun intended...yeah right lol

Thanks for the maple potatoes. I am going to give them a shot!!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   

OMG, My bad (face palm) French Onion Soup is correct! LOL And not the pre-made variety. I mean a quick 30 minute of a real soup. Onions, Sherry, tarragon, beef broth... Just the bare basics.
edit on 9-9-2014 by ICallGhosts because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The other day I had a burger with bacon incorporated in it. Was pretty good, although I suspect I would have to experiment with partially cooking the bacon first to get it to come out best, but then I have never tried it at all.

I still maintain that the KISS principle is best when cooking beef.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: bbracken677
The other day I had a burger with bacon incorporated in it. Was pretty good, although I suspect I would have to experiment with partially cooking the bacon first to get it to come out best, but then I have never tried it at all.

I have tried that a few times and found that if I grind it the same time as I grind my beef it turns out better. I switched from chuck to sirloin since the bacon had plenty of fat.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I think I would prefer to precook the bacon a bit. I like my burgers medium, but not my bacon lol

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: ICallGhosts

I have onions in my garden and was going to do an onion soup thread when fall hits.

I have never been a fan of tarragon but when you put it the way you just put it...I might go for it,sounds like a good recipe. (did a bad recipe of scrambled eggs and tarragon...ewwww)

You have now finally reached 20 posts and can create a thread now.
Hit the cooking forum and give people some of your recipes.

Onion soup thread?
It will keep me from doing it while encouraging you to create a thread....go for it.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:18 PM
link   
When making burgers i throw everything i have on hand in to the meat mix but always mainly use

Beef mince
Very thinly and small diced onion
Some crushed garlic
Garlic powder
Egg
Fresh breadcrumbs about 1/2 a cup
Salt and pepper
Herbs (usually italian) not too much though just a hint
A bit of parmesan cheese
Tomato sauce or ketchup depending on what you call it
and bbq sauce

I think the eggs and breadcrumbs make it lighter and give it better texture but they arent neccesary, i mix it all then i shape & make them fry them then at the end put a slice of swisse cheese on top too melt and i always serve them on turkish bread because i love turkish bread and lightly toasted i reckon its the best for burgers anyway then i add on egg & salads like lettuce, tomato & cucumber and whatever sauces usually aioli spread accross the bottom and tomato or bbq sauce above the meat.

Everyones recipes & tips sound sooo good!
I usually only use french onion soup in my potatoe bake or a few savoury mince dishes i never thought of using it in burgers sounds so good! When i was in Montreal in Canada i was looking everywhere for french onion soup too make my friend there a potatoe bake (french onion soup & cream) anyway then she was like oh do you mean onion soup? So apparently its just onion soup there.. Lol
edit on 9-9-2014 by Shana91aus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:26 PM
link   

The key to tarragon is simply: less is more.

Tarragon, when added to hollandaise sauce, makes a great sauce for a shellfish over beef dish. Since hollandaise is a mild flavored sauce, you really need to watch how much you add or it will just totally overpower the hollandaise.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Best burgers we've ever had were made with beef brisket....there is something about the fat on that cut of meat that makes the meat taste just sensational.

Then, just salt and pepper....
Cheese, either swiss or hot pepper.
Sliced green olives on top.

And, we also indent the center so they cook flatter.

a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

That must be an acquired taste.....tried it once....they were okay, but nothing I would do again.
Much prefer the bacon crispy on top.
edit on Tue Sep 9 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:40 AM
link   

I will get on to that!

I wish I could grow onions in my garden. One year they don't grow, the next they they go bad before they mature... And a few other things. It's the same with trying to grow potato's LOL

Tarragon is a special spice, sometimes it doesn't play well with others. But with eggs? Maybe it was the way you used it. I can see it being used in a Frittata with other things. :-)

Later today I will hit the "Cooking Corner: Onion Recipe's" LOL That could be a title LOL

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 05:35 PM
link   

everything I know about burgers:

- salt and pepper only. NOthing mixed into the meat, but salt and pepper applied evenly all the way from edge to edge.
- thin patties. Flavor comes with carmelization of the meat. A thinner patty will give you the chance for more surface area, and more char
- ground brisket is by far the best. Ground chuck is a moderately close second

My 2 best "upgrades" for you:

Onion Jam

Melt a couple tbl of butter in a medium sauce pan. Add in 2 julienned onions. I run it through the mandoline slicer, then slice again to get consistent cut. Sweat the onions, then add in 2 cups of a dry red wine. I typically have pinot noir on hand, and just use it. Simmer over med heat until the liquid is reduced by 3/4. You really want to draw those flavors down.

while simmering, in a separate bowl add together 1/2 c of honey, and 1/2 c red wine vinegar. pop i the microwave for about 1 minute, or until it is warm and you can easily whisk it together. Pour over the onion/wine reduction and continue to simmer. Zest a lemon into it, then juice the lemon into it. Once it reduces to a thick, sticky consistency, turn off the heat and let it cool.

Serve on top of any sandwich item, or really anything.

Hawaii Burger

My son named it when he was a kid. Its a multi step process.

1. Make teryaki glaze (whisk together 3/4 c soy sauce, 1/4 c hoisin, 1/2 c pineapple juice, 2 tbl sesame oil, 2 tbl fresh ginger). Set aside
2. Make wasabi mayo: equal parts wasabi and mayo. Set aside
3. Grill your burgers until nearly done. Each time you flip the burgers, add more teriyaki. I flip a few extra times to get the patty more sticky and flavorful
4. While grilling the meat, grill thick slices of fresh pineapple. Just rub them with a bit of oil before grilling them, and use enough heat to make char marks
5. Top the burgers with a pineapple slice, then apply a slice of a soft cheese. I use havarti usually, as its creamy and mild.
6. While the meat rests, toast the buns with a touch of butter

When we are "eating bad", this burger is always on the menu.
edit on 9/11/2014 by bigfatfurrytexan because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join