It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chicago Crime Rate Drops As Concealed Carry Applications Surge

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+25 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
FROM THE WASHINGTON TIMES

"Since Illinois started granting concealed carry permits this year, the number of robberies that have led to arrests in Chicago has declined 20 percent from last year, according to police department statistics. Reports of burglary and motor vehicle theft are down 20 percent and 26 percent, respectively. In the first quarter, the city’s homicide rate was at a 56-year low.

I think it's time for the anti-gunners to admit gun control doesn't work, and armed citizens are the answer to crime.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:13 PM
link   
a reply to: MarlinGrace

So you're saying that when people defend themselves from criminals those same criminals become deterred from commiting crimes against others?

What a concept!

edit on 9-9-2014 by TorqueyThePig because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TorqueyThePig

Yea nothing scarier to a criminal than a citizen who wont wait for the cops to show up, will take the application of the law, in regards to themselves, into their own hands.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   

People are a lot more polite now too. I like it.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

Excuse me ma'am...I see you have a .45 under your bra...Can I carry your groceries?

Peace

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: KawRider9

Ah an additional benefit... I like it as well, civility through strength. I wonder why the left doesn't get this when it comes to the military power.

+4 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

They wont admit it. Theyve been brainwashed to think that an inanimate object is somehow evil.

If the Left really cared about crime, they would focus on violence and the causes of violence, not a tool that some use to commit violence.

I have to ask the Left, after the Bundy Ranch situation, Ferguson and the ever increasing violence of the police and federal agents, do they really want government agents to be the only ones with access to firearms?

As bad as things are, I have to believe that armed Americans serve as some kind of a deterrent.

edit on 9-9-2014 by gladtobehere because: wording

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace

I think it's time for the anti-gunners to admit gun control doesn't work, and armed citizens are the answer to crime.

That would require the anti-liberty pro-government control crowd to admit they were wrong, though... and we all know thatll never happen.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:44 PM
link   
"The Chicago Police Department has credited better police work as a reason for the lower crime rates this year. Police Superintendent Garry F. McCarthy noted the confiscation of more than 1,300 illegal guns in the first three months of the year, better police training and “intelligent policing strategies.”"

Of course.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: MarlinGrace
Since Illinois started granting concealed carry permits this year, the number of robberies that have lead to arrests in Chicago has declined 20 percent from last year

CPD May Have To Do More With Less

"police sources tell NBC 5 the mayor is asking the police department to cut its budget by 10 percent for next year."

The article seems to be claiming the amount of arrests are down, not necessarily crimes, which is clearly an effect from cutting the police budget.

On another note, it would be very interesting to see the stats for murders that are committed with either a legally obtained gun or a stolen legally obtained gun.

The fact still remains that no other civilized country in the world has anywhere near the amount of gun violence as in the US, which is clearly a result of Americas lax gun laws.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:58 PM
link   
So we know that carrying a gun can help you defend yourself in a crime. That's a given. However, does the increase in permits actually deter crime? I'm not so sure. I think criminal is just as likely to commit a gun crime in a state with strict or lax laws. What do you think?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

In this world, we have a violence problem. One that will never, ever be solved by limiting our focus to a single tool. Even beyond that, it obscures the very real issue of violence by providing a scapegoat that is not the source of the issue.

On topic, its hard to say exactly what is what when it comes to societal cause and effect. Its too easy to inject an agenda based on confirmation bias. I wouldn't be surprised if the increase in persons with a CCP had an impact on crime though.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

They wont admit it. Theyve been brainwashed to think that an inanimate object is somehow evil.

If the Left really cared about crime, they would focus on violence and the causes of violence, not a tool that some use to commit violence.

I have to ask the Left, after the Bundy Ranch situation, Ferguson and the ever increasing violence of the police and federal agents, do they really want government agents to be the only ones with access to firearms?

As bad as things are, I have to believe that armed Americans serve as some kind of a deterrent.

Hell yes they do! Would you break into a house if you knew guns were outlawed and citizens didn't have any? Thats an easy mark, now if you don't know there is an armed citizen you won't if you have to guess. If the criminal decides to break in, that first 5 minutes waiting for police can be hazardous to your health.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:04 PM
link   

The murder rate in China is about 5 times lower per capita than in the USA.
edit on 9-9-2014 by mattsawaufo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: amazing
So we know that carrying a gun can help you defend yourself in a crime. That's a given. However, does the increase in permits actually deter crime? I'm not so sure. I think criminal is just as likely to commit a gun crime in a state with strict or lax laws. What do you think?

I think when a criminal has to think twice if a citizen is carrying a gun, the decision for violence diminishes quickly. This is when the lone little old lady becomes a mark. That is of course if she is carrying then they get what they deserve.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: mattsawaufo

In the US, citizens run over by tanks is zero.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   
That's not what my drill sergeant told me.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: mattsawaufo

Thats purely a function of culture. In China, being a criminal is an enormous marring of ones character. You become essentially a pariah in almost all circles, including to your family.

That is the deterrent in China, and why crime is much lower, especially violent crime.

To think to use China as an example of how gun control supposedly works in a positive fashion, and not recognize the inherent fundamental cultural differences between China and the US, is heinously ignorant.

edit on 9/9/2014 by CaticusMaximus because: grammar

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:26 PM
link   
so guns have a practical use in terms of defending oneself in a crime.

sounds perfectly fine.

I would think it wise if handguns(not rifles) were registered, and required background checks without private-sale exceptions. in addition to presently existing qualifications.

The point being is long-guns are not typically/stereotypically used by criminals, due mostly to being hard to conceal.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:36 PM
link   

I remember reading something similar earlier this year (February or March I believe). Crime rates were falling while CCW permits were surging since Illinois just recently passed CCW. I originally thought the low crime rates were from the harsh winter, not necessarily from the sudden influx of CCW holders , and decided that I would wait until later in the year to see how it turns out before I go out and say, "Told ya so! CCW deters criminals!."

Fast forward towards the later end of summer and see the OP article....yup, "Told ya so!"

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join