It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Controllers for Emulators

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask beforehand, so...

Basically I'm running ePSXe and PCSX2, as well as a less-important SNES emulator, but the main two are the PS1/PS2 emulators. I grew up with the PS1/PS2 through most of my childhood/teens and some of my favorite games were on those consoles. The last console I had before I went PC was a PS2 and I'd occassionally dig it out of the closet to play a few games, alone or with friends/family that I used to play with, just getting our nostalgia on... except there's more beer involved these days.

The trouble is my controllers and console are wearing out, and my game disks have suffered from neglect, whether it's scratches or CD rot, and the ones that haven't become completely unreadable and hopeless have skipping audio and sometimes freeze. It's not working out so good anymore, so I learned about emulators. I've known about them for a year or two now, but never really looked into them until this weekend. I got a couple of my favorite games for PS1 working on ePSXe and I'm stoked.
(I don't believe I've ever used that word before, ever. Ever.) I haven't even flashed the BIOS from my PS2 for PCSX2 yet, but I'll get around to it soon enough. So far the PS1 games look so much better with the plugins available to the emulators, so even if everything isn't perfect, I'm extra happy with the fact that they work and look better than ever!

But, as can be imagined, using a keyboard to play games intended for console is annoying, if not difficult at times. Plus, I want two-player capability as well. Mostly the games I will be playing are driving/racing games; Gran Turismo 1 through 4, and Twisted Metal 1 through 5 (Black).

First off, I'm still new to emulators so I have no idea if analog functionality is even supported through ePSXe/PCSX2 with Gran Turismo games, but I always told myself that one day I was going to get a steering wheel controller... I never did. Well, now I want one that is analog (I'm kinda assuming they all are due to the nature of driving/racing sims) with steering wheel and pedals, gear shift would be nice but it isn't necessary, and it has to absolutely be compatible with emulated racing games on a PC most likely running Windows, although Linux support would be nice.
It looks like all steering wheel controllers are fairly expensive (lowest price I've seen on a sketchy one is ~$40), some more, but I'm wondering if anybody has used these with emulated GT games and what is the best bang/buck.

I may not get a steering wheel just yet, or one at all, but it would be nice.

Otherwise I would just like a couple of analog dual-shock style controllers like I'm used to. The trouble is from reading reviews on most of the ones I can find, not all dual-shock style controllers out there are analog, and not all of them work, or they only work with certain games/emulators and not others... however the Xbox 360 controller for PC seems to have really good reviews for functionality in all scenarios. I'm not sure if it's analog or not though... I would assume so

If there is a good dual-shock controller that anybody knows of that would definitely work, I would prefer them over an Xbox 360 controller, but I can get used to an Xbox controller if anybody knows if they would definitely work.

Thanks for any advice, I'm hoping somebody here has some experience with emulators and controllers, it would be really helpful before I spend $80 on two Xbox controllers if there's better, and hopefully cheaper, alternatives.
edit on 9-9-2014 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2014 by Aldakoopa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I played recently with PCSX2. I used a controller that looks just like the ps2 controller, but its a standard usb connection, and is recognised by windows as a standard dual joystick. It worked fine. I cant post a model number as it doesnt have one! cant see anything that identifies it, got it from amazon.

Steering wheels.
Dont waste your money UNLESS you can afford a decent one! I had a £60 wheel, saitek(spelling?) and it was awful!!
First problem you find is there's no way to anchor it securely enough, nothing worse than when the wheel keeps moving about!
The pedals suffered the same problem too. I ended up bolting the wheel to an old desk and bolting the pedals to a large plank of wood.
Once bolted down is when you discover how weak and wobbly they are

Using the wheel for an f1 sim was a shock!!! A full f1 race can take one and a half hours!!! After just a few minutes with a wheel I was suffering serious achey pains in my arms!! are you fit enough to hold a wheel for the duration of a race?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk
I played recently with PCSX2. I used a controller that looks just like the ps2 controller, but its a standard usb connection, and is recognised by windows as a standard dual joystick. It worked fine. I cant post a model number as it doesnt have one! cant see anything that identifies it, got it from amazon.

Sweet, good to know, but there's a lot of them on Amazon.
They seem kind of hit-or-miss with the reviews so I'm a little put off on buying any.

Steering wheels.
Dont waste your money UNLESS you can afford a decent one! I had a £60 wheel, saitek(spelling?) and it was awful!!
First problem you find is there's no way to anchor it securely enough, nothing worse than when the wheel keeps moving about!
The pedals suffered the same problem too. I ended up bolting the wheel to an old desk and bolting the pedals to a large plank of wood.
Once bolted down is when you discover how weak and wobbly they are

I didn't think cheaping out on a steering wheel was the way to go, especially not with the reviews. Basically it looks like you either spend $200 on a good one that will work or you throw your money in the trash can.

Using the wheel for an f1 sim was a shock!!! A full f1 race can take one and a half hours!!! After just a few minutes with a wheel I was suffering serious achey pains in my arms!! are you fit enough to hold a wheel for the duration of a race?

I don't know; That's part of the experience and fun for me!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Aldakoopa

You can always go with this for $20 if you're looking for a pretty decent controller. It has mixed reviews, but it's worked fine for me since I had it in 2009. I originally bought it for my PS3 but have since been using it on my pc once I found out it was plug and play. Hell, it even works on my ps emulator that's on my galaxy tablet. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879212010

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:32 PM
link   

A wired PS3 controller works well, I use one for all my emulators such as PS1/PS2/N64/NES/SNES. No install other than button mapping. It's simple, but it works.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: speedyguy

You can always go with this for $20 if you're looking for a pretty decent controller. It has mixed reviews, but it's worked fine for me since I had it in 2009. I originally bought it for my PS3 but have since been using it on my pc once I found out it was plug and play. Hell, it even works on my ps emulator that's on my galaxy tablet. www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16879212010

Out of stock on Newegg, and Amazon has it for $70.

Although they have them pretty cheap used... it might be worth looking into.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: kx12x

A wired PS3 controller works well, I use one for all my emulators such as PS1/PS2/N64/NES/SNES. No install other than button mapping. It's simple, but it works.

I don't see any "real" PS3 wired controllers, only wireless. Was this a particular "aftermarket" brand PS3 controller? Does the analog function work well? (really need this for racing games)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Well that sucks, it's definitely not worth anything over $30. If you have a dualshock 3 laying around you can try connecting it to your pc and use some 3rd party drivers like motioninjoy.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I know this is wildly off-topic, but I keep seeing the thread title...

Controllers for Emulators

...and I have to keep reminding myself that it's not a new thread in the Philosophy & Metaphysics forum.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Lol

I find it funny that I posted the same question in a computer forum I frequent as well and I had a few replies on these forums before I even got one response at all on the other thread!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aldakoopa
Lol

I find it funny that I posted the same question in a computer forum I frequent as well and I had a few replies on these forums before I even got one response at all on the other thread!

I'm usually a lurker, but your thread caught my eye since I had just finished using epsxe. I had the same problem years ago when I first started using emulators as well. It's hard to believe that mobile devices can run most of them now considering my pc barely could in 2003.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
The used ones are about $12 shipped each.

I don't have anything other than some old worn out PS1 and PS2 controllers.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:08 PM
link   

You're right, it's not a Sony brand controller. The one I have is Nyko. It's a cheap controller, but I've had no issues with dead zone in the analog sticks. It has taken some falls after some intense Mario Kart races without any problems as well, but YMMV.

It suits my needs, although I'm sure there are better options out there.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:21 PM
link   
i use a wired 360 controller for all my emu needs. u just need to download the usb drivers, unless ur on win8, from microsoft. most pc games that have controller support built in, have default button mapping for the 360 control too. u still need to do ur keybinds in emus, but that takes bout a min. havent had any issues ever with it, and i do reg 3-4 players mario parties.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I think I know somebody with a 360 controller for PC. I think I will see if I can borrow it and try it out to see how it works with the games I want to play.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:39 PM
link   
20$ nyko ps3 controller. Computer will instantly recognize it no problem.

Playing zsnes emulator with it.

I read that you need a beefy computer to run ps2 emulator's, so super nintendo games will have to do. Thet are doing quite well.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I used a wired xbox 360 controller for all my pc games.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:55 PM
link   
a reply to: bigman88

Nah I use nvidia geforce 6150se for ps2 and xbox roms (very unbeefy.) If you want to play all the new games for cheap, a geforce gt640 and a 400 watt power supply will do. Both can be had for less than $150.00.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Fargoth

Nah I use nvidia geforce 6150se for ps2 and xbox roms (very unbeefy.) If you want to play all the new games for cheap, a geforce gt640 and a 400 watt power supply will do. Both can be had for less than $150.00.

Your probably right, though.

I downloaded and played a game i always wanted to play, F.E.A.R., and it ran mostly pretty good on low-mid settings on this weak sony vaio laptop i have here.

I was discouraged with the ps2 emulator because it is running a whole separate system...or something, and the insistence that it needs plenty of ram disappointed me.

Never had an xbox, had all the sonys. What good games do you recommend if i dl the emulator?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:34 PM
link   

For xbox? elder scrolls 3 morrowind, silent hill 2, shenmue 2, evil dead a fist full of boomstick, house of the dead 3.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join