It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are natural resources behind international apathy for Ebola outbreak?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Source

The Ebola virus is spreading exponentially across Liberia as patients fill taxis in a fruitless search for medical care, the World Health Organization said Monday.

Preface to my concern so that this is clear:

1) Ebola is not Airborne
2) Ebola is/would be a VERY ineffective global biological weapon as it is very hard to transmit
3) I do not think there will ever be an outbreak of Ebola in modernized countries with good medical care, and if there is, I think it will be contained quickly as in Nigeria. (Nigeria seems to have completely contained the virus, they had 13 cases and 5 deaths. The window on incubation has now passed so they are no longer worried about further infections)

So my question then is: Why are governments letting this happen?

One article I read this morning is talking about a potential 30% population reduction in these west African countries, and if it spreads to other poor nations with no medical infrastructure the same could happen. Why are more governments not getting EFFECTIVELY involved in containing this disease? I can't help but think this is something that governments could care less about. If this were a country like Germany or France the EU, the USA and even Russia or China would probably assist, but when it comes to West Africa we are basically leaving them to their own and letting charitable doctors die trying to help...

I can't help but look at the map of resources in Africa.

The untapped Transform Margin, which primarily runs along Sierra Leone and Liberia, is ripe for the taking.

Link

On top of that, the Oil that is produced in Liberia barely gives any money back to the Liberians, only 5%

Link

In 2013 Liberia asked for more money as also asked for separate state aco#s for Oil Money to more accurately track how much income they were getting:

Link

I can't help but feel that, although I don't think any government or organization caused the outbreak, the reason this is being left alone is for pure profit and resource acquisition. Nobody in power has to feel guilty because they didn't start it and it isn't their responsibility to fix it. But our humanity asks us that we do what we can when we can...
edit on Tue Sep 9 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: title change

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: raymundoko

3) I do not think there will ever be an outbreak of Ebola in modernized countries with good medical care, and if there is, I think it will be contained quickly as in Nigeria. (Nigeria seems to have completely contained the virus, they had 13 cases and 5 deaths. The window on incubation has now passed so they are no longer worried about further infections)

Nigeria is "no longer worried about further infections"?

The Nigerian Ministry of Health announced on Monday that 477 people are under surveillance for Ebola in the oil city of Port Harcourt.

www.washingtonpost.com...

They seem rather concerned to me even if it's just precautionary.

ETA:

More cases of Ebola in Nigeria than previously thought...

Confirmed Ebola cases in Nigeria rise to 19

businessdayonline.com...

edit on 9-9-2014 by real_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:07 PM
link   
a reply to: real_one

No, they aren't. Their health ministry said as much. They are being over precautious now as they should be, but they are pretty confident they contained the outbreak. And the fact they have a little under 500 people quarantined shows they are not playing around with any further chances either. Those quarantined are in one of the only two cities people died. No other deaths or infections have been reported outside of those two cities.

From your link:

Regarding contacts currently under surveillance, the minister added that Lagos has 27 contacts under surveillance at the moment.

According to him, “A total of 339 contacts, who were previously on surveillance have been discharged having completed 21 days of observation. Port Harcourt has 477 contacts under surveillance. It is a mixed group consisting of tertiary and quaternary contacts of Mr. Sawyer’s. Five contacts have already been discharged from surveillance in Port Harcourt having completed 21 days of observation.

So yes, they are pretty confident they have it contained.

The reaction Nigeria took is the reaction that should have happened long ago in the West African countries. They don't have the infrastructure to do that on their own. However, modernized countries absolutely have the means to help contain the outbreak.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

No, they aren't.

Could you please explain in more detail?

I'm not sure which portion of my post you were referencing to with that statement.

Cheers.
edit on 9-9-2014 by real_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:02 PM
link   
a reply to: real_one

Nigeria is "no longer worried about further infections"?

They are pretty confident they have it contained. If any of the people they currently have quarantined become symptomatic, they consider that as already contained.

Outside of those two cities, 50 days has gone by since it started and there have been no reports of Ebola in any other city than the two which were directly associated with Sawyer and his medical care providers.

This is really neither here nor there in this thread. This is mainly to discuss why more of the international community aren't effectively helping these 3rd world countries.
edit on 9-9-2014 by raymundoko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Thank you for the clarification.

Just so you know I was in agreement with most of what you posted but slightly disagreed about point number three which I previously pointed out.

You are more optimistic than I am since I do not think any country no matter how advanced their medical facilities are could easily contain a major outbreak of Ebola in an urban center. From what I can tell they got lucky in Nigeria and even though it seems to be contained there could easily be more cases to appear.

I can't remember which country, but another area affected by the outbreak thought they had it under control but it has resurfaced at an alarming rate, perhaps this has to do with the lack of medical facilities as you mentioned.

My concern is that even the most modern countries have some not so modern areas. From the West to East coast of North America we have many modern cities suffering urban decay. I must admit that we would be much better prepared to fight and isolate any outbreaks, but there's no guarantee that our medical "superiority" will be able to stop a major outbreak in an urban center from spreading as it has in Western Africa.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Nigeria did not even announce about the doctor in port harcourt having ebola till something like 6 days after his death.
I would not put much trust in what the Nigerian government says .

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Posted earlier here
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Please add further comments to the ongoing discussion in the above linked thread.
Thanks

As this thread is talking about a possible conspiracy surrounding ebola, it is being re-opened with a title change provided by the OP.

edit on Tue Sep 9 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2014 @ 09:50 AM
link   

(Nigeria seems to have completely contained the virus, they had 13 cases and 5 deaths. The window on incubation has now passed so they are no longer worried about further infections)

Then why are they implementing procedures like this:

Nigerian officials are reportedly discouraging large church gatherings in an attempt to stop the spread of the Ebola virus.

Christian groups are furious about Health Minister Onyebuchi Chukwu’s alleged cancellation of two large revivals that were planned for Onde State on Aug. 23 and 24, ThisDayLive reports.

Nigeria Forbids Large Religious Gatherings In Attempt To Stop Spread Of Ebola: Report

If you believe anything the idiot Chukwu says, I've got an uncle who has named me in his will but I need help cleatng the funds; please provide me with your banking information and I will, of course, compensate you for your assistance...

As to the rest of your post, I think it entirely conceivable that this weighs in to the apparent lack of response by more developed countries.

edit on 17-9-2014 by jadedANDcynical because: more to say

new topics

top topics

join