It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado governor threatens to release murderer if not reelected.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Denver Post

Gov. John Hickenlooper suggested in a yet-to-be-aired television interview earlier this year that he could grant full clemency to convicted killer Nathan Dunlap should the governor lose his re-election battle this November.

Hickenlooper, in an interview with CNN, made the comments in response to questions about Republican criticism of his handling of Nathan Dunlap — the ex-Chuck E. Cheese employee who killed four in a 1993 shooting rampage at the Aurora restaurant-attraction — who is on death row.

Gov. John Hickenlooper... we locals pounce that John Dick-En-Luber... Has always been a stanch anti-death penalty supporter...
I can respect that in a man. I might not agree with it but I can respect a person who believes that to execute a convicted murder... ie Nathan Dunlap — the ex-Chuck E. Cheese employee who killed four in a 1993 shooting rampage at the Aurora restaurant... Would make the State every bit as bad as said murder.

And Hickenlooper has indeed had his butt held under the coals, over his handling of Nathan Dunlap. But when asked what he would do if he lost the election to a Pro-Death Penalty candidate... the whiny little bitch said,

Hickenlooper said of his options. "I could do a full clemency between election day and the end of the year. There are a number of different opportunities to make sure that doesn't happen. Again, human life should not be a political football."

Again I can and do respect another persons wish and desire to perverse a human life....
However....
Dick-En-Luber is making this all sound like he's a spoiled little brat and if he doesn't get his way and get reelected, he's to use his position and power to turn lose these death row inmates.

Dunlap was 19 when he went to the Chuck E. Cheese's where he once worked and killed three teenage employees, Ben Grant, Sylvia Crowell and Colleen O'Connor, and their 50-year-old manager, Margaret Kohlberg, who were closing the restaurant.

He also shot and seriously wounded a fifth employee, Bobby Stephens, and made off with about $1,500 in cash and game tokens.

last year Dick-En-Luber granted Dunlap a temporary reprieve three months before he was to get the needle.

Now any reasonable grownup face with his moral convictions would simply use his position to commute the sentence to life, right?
But not our Dick-En-Luber ... his going to fall on the floor and pitch a fit... You bastards better reelect me or it full clemency Bawhahaha!

So there you have it folks--- Colorado's dilemma. Do we allow ourselves to be hostage or elect someone else and risk having murders dumped back on our streets?

A companion story Murder Victim’s Father Calls Hickenlooper A Coward can be found here.

DENVER (CBS4) - The father of a murder victim says Gov. John Hickenlooper is a coward because the governor said it’s possible he could grant clemency to mass murderer Nathan Dunlap.

None of are happy with how this election battle is playing out. November, will be the tell.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I'm not from Colorado, but this kind of stuff is so messed up.

I don't know who the other candidates are, but just make sure this guy isn't reelected.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Stern said the governor was responding to hypothetical questioning in the interview and that he was "discussing the legal options that are provided in the state's constitution."

That's not "threatening".

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:07 AM
link   
a reply to: HardCorps

Well psychopaths supporting psychopaths. Not surprising. I wouldn't be surprised if he grants that criminal a political position.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

Sure sounds that way to those of us who live here... to speculate aloud in this way now, during the elections... is not being hypothetical... he sending an under his breath message... If they do this then I'll do that....

Just to say those words hypothetical or not, has sent a strong message, intended or not.

Edit to add:
If this was all hypothetical why not say commute to sentence to life?

That's a lot different that saying "Full clemency" esp when said in the same breath as "If not reelected".
edit on 9-9-2014 by HardCorps because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   

The message I get is that he was asked some hypothetical questions on this and the right has spun it trying to make it a political ploy when he even said SEVERAL times that it isn't. Smear campaign.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Hickenlooper, in an interview with CNN, made the comments in response to questions about Republican criticism of his handling of Nathan Dunlap

It was more than hypothetical questions. They put him on the spot, he's been taking a lot of heat for what he did.
Then later when asked if he meant what he said,

"If that becomes a political issue in that context within the campaign, obviously there is a period of time between the election and the end of the year where individuals can make decisions, such as governors can," Hickenlooper said in the interview.

sounds to me like he intends to do it.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I'm getting the message as ...

He's a desperate Democrat that feels desperate.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Your title is misleading, to say the least. The actual title is:
Hickenlooper suggests granting clemency to Nathan Dunlap in interview

And you neglected to mention that Dunlap has a mental illness...

Republicans have been criticizing Hickenlooper, who is anti-death penalty, for granting a temporary reprieve from execution, because Dunlap was diagnosed with sever bipolar disorder and his lawyer didn't accurately represent him back in 1993.

Hickenlooper's opponent was pro-death penalty and has said that he would execute Dunlap if elected, mental illness or not.

CNN asked Hickenlooper what actions he could take if the pro-death penalty candidate won and he said:

"If they did do that, and somehow they won, there are obviously remedies that the governor could do," Hickenlooper said of his options. "I could do a full clemency between election day and the end of the year. There are a number of different opportunities to make sure that doesn't happen. Again, human life should not be a political football."
Stern said the governor was responding to hypothetical questioning in the interview and that he was "discussing the legal options that are provided in the state's constitution."

In the governor's reprieve order, Hickenlooper said "because the question is about the use of the death penalty itself and not (Dunlap), I have opted to grant a reprieve and not clemency in this case."

I agree that taking the life of a mentally ill person should not be used as a campaign strategy.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:29 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I do not agree with you but I can respect your views..

Sill who not commute to sentence to life... Why threaten us with full clemency?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: HardCorps

That's the point and why I checked out this thread. I thought, "What politician would be that stupid?" If you read the spin out of it he isn't.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Perhaps he did mention commuting to a life sentence as one of his options. The GOP smear campaign certainly wouldn't want to mention that. They're TRYING to sway you. Keep that in mind.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I agree that taking the life of a mentally ill person should not be used as a campaign strategy.

And that is one of the problems with having the death penelty.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Here's Hickenlooper's quote within the interview. It doesn't sound like he mentioned any other options, but it definitely sounds like a hypothetical question and his answer sound like an option, not a threat.

The governor was asked how he'd respond to a campaign that ran on a platform of "elect me, I'm going to kill this guy."

"If that becomes a political issue within that context in the campaign," Hickenlooper replied. "Obviously there's a period of time between the election and the end of the year where individuals can make decisions such as the governor can."

Later, the governor was asked to elaborate on what he meant by this and explained that he could envision commuting the death sentence for Dunlap if it became overly politicized.

"You don't want to go into too much detail in these things, but the issue that a political campaign would make a human life into, you know, a political football is unsettling. And I think would backfire on them tremendously on any candidate who did that. And if they did do that and somehow it won, there are obviously remedies that the governor can do. I could do a full clemency between election day and the end of the year. I mean there are a number of different opportunities to make sure that doesn't happen. Again, human life should not be a political football."

Source

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:50 AM
link   

yet his comments to CNN were not about Political spun... they were in relation to this show,
Death Row Stories

The series "Death Row Stories" recounts the 1993 Chuck E. Cheese murders and subsequent legal wrangling and moral/ethical deliberating in an hour airing July 27.

it was during this interview he made the comments as to what he's planning to do if he lost the election.
Comments that frankly that have all of up here saying WTF ???

But lets be fair and say he misspoke. Slip of the tongue.... Most of us parents are concerned, and he's done nothing to counter his statements which leaves us back at squire one... What are you gonna do mister Gov?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:52 AM
link   
I hope he was speaking hypothetically, or jokingly... What was he smoking?

Oh wait. Colorado.

nvm

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:54 AM
link   

What are you gonna do mister Gov?

And THAT is the purpose of the article. Nothing motivates like fear. And I just checked, this race is TIGHT.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Bet your fuzzy red 'A' it's a tight race...

Both sides slamming each other with attack ad's.
Oddly enough though only the post has brought up his comments.
Them and the angry daddy with the dead daughter who's worried his child's murderer will be cut lose for the sole sake of a political ego assuage

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:14 PM
link   

You have got to be joking?

Look, I can understand someone being militant against the death penalty, but using the release of a convicted murderer as a lever to ensure ones re-election ought to be the sort of thing that gets one whisked off by people dressed in shades of midnight, never to be seen again.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Maybe they should get rid of that governor, that is not the kind of people we want in charge of our states.

Maybe he is related to the Clinton's.

Actually, this is considered normal behavior of many of the people we have put into power. This guy is dumb though, most people do it without telling.
edit on 9-9-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join