It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Power Plant Near Nation’s Capital Sits Practically Unguarded

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:44 AM
link   
This is about something that has been on the minds of people for a few years.

American power plants, especially nuclear power plants are not as well guarded as we may be taking for granted.

With all the recent (and past) terror threats, you would think the nuclear plants would be a top priority for protection.

Think about the damage if one of these places gets compromised.

Why is this happening? Or is the "security" internal and not so visible to the general public?

Is this just a normal government example of lackadaisical behavior?

Or, is it "part of a plan"?

LUSBY, Md. — About 50 miles outside Washington D.C. is a nuclear power plant that sits on the western shore of the Chesapeake Bay. It’s the sort of place the government has warned is vulnerable to a terrorist attack.

But an investigation conducted by The Daily Caller found that anybody can enter the property of the Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant, drive through the front gates, park not far from a nuclear reactor and have no contact of any kind with security.

A reporter and videographer drove from the nation’s capital last Friday to Calvert Cliffs and twice accessed the power plant site. No one stopped or even seemed to notice them.

Nuclear Nightmare: As Terror Fears Spike, Power Plant Near Nation’s Capital Sits Practically Unguarded

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Good stuff to put out there for potential terrorists to read.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: mikeone718

Good stuff to put out there for potential terrorists to read.

Good point.

Maybe some things need to be censored.

But then again, professional terrorists and insurgents know these things anyway.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:32 AM
link   
If there is a problem, it will kill our politicians and the people who are lobbyists and the ones structuring a bunch of deceitful programs.

So why are you concerned?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
If there is a problem, it will kill our politicians and the people who are lobbyists and the ones structuring a bunch of deceitful programs.

Well, it will kill many innocent people too.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: xuenchen

originally posted by: rickymouse

Well, it will kill many innocent people too.

In the military they call that collateral damage and it is acceptable.

Remember, evil rarely targets other evil. Nothing will happen to that plant. The devil does not hurt others of his kind.
edit on 9-9-2014 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Just had a look on GE and it looks like standard nuke plant security . They did not get into the main gate I bet just to the guest parking. I have 2 plants nearby and know some people on security. Deer trigger the systems so I think they were really outside looking in . Ant the signs stating use of deadly force permitted might have kept them back a bit.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:24 PM
link   
We get an awful lot of seafood from the Chesapeake bay. Not to mention that the bay is the United States largest estuary. Also not to mention the Chesapeake is my home. I'm in the Hampton Roads area at the mouth of the bay.
oceanservice.noaa.gov...

Also not to mention how much of our military is centered around the bay. Yeah the Chesapeake is insignificant. Ok.

reply to: rickymouse

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Well you're safe anyway. a reply to: rickymouse

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Wow this is on Fox news right this minute.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 06:25 PM
link   
If political figures at large start leaving the area for any reason I will be weary. Wonder how much these security officers are paid? I was once a "security officer" at a big entertainment venue. Most others did not do the job at 100% or even 85%. Was pretty easy to get past security.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The real danger is contained in the reactor building and its behind 4 to 6 foot of concrete.

The parking lot is around 800 feet from the reactors with maintenance and/or office building in between them.

first: Few companies have employee parking inside the security area because it would cause them to have to search every car every day.

I have done hot work jobs at San Onofre nuclear power plant and went through there security.
and no the parking lot was out side the security area.

just use Google earth and you can see this story is BS and should be in the hoax bin.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I know a bit about power plants having worked as a containment/isolation vessel designer for several years. When you take a trip to a facility you may not see much in the way of security...from the outside. Once you get past the obvious security and find yourself standing behind two gentlemen holding m16's you realize that the two-way mirror they are looking through is the same hallway you just walked down. You walked straight toward them and never knew they were there. Granted, not every plant has the same security, but they all have more than meets the eye.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657
Wow this is on Fox news right this minute.

They are probably monitoring ATS and found out from here
See, we're good for something here.

I wouldn't doubt if every big news station monitors ATS for leads. They have work to do with their leads, but getting leads is very important.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:34 PM
link   
You kind of answered your own question.

originally posted by: xuenchenOr is the "security" internal and not so visible to the general public?

The NRC has a spectacular amount of information you can access. Here's the information for the plant involved: Calvert Cliffs Nuclear Power Plant, Unit 1

From there you can read inspection reports and FEMA after-action reports dating more than a decade. Pretty amazing level of transparency for a government agency, in my opinion. I couldn't find any sort of steps in response to security incidences (probably shouldn't anyway).

The article was kind enough to mention it;

The fences and checkpoints you see at Calvert Cliffs are only a small part of our defense in depth security strategy,” he said. “In fact, much of our defense lies in the things you can’t see.”

top topics

join