It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you spot a SNIPER ?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Lazy surfing on the internet lead me to this page. Can you spot a sniper ?
Pictures are shot at Bavarian alps and shows german army camouflage in action
I was able to spot a few, but most i missed. There are several pictures to seek.
Try out

edit on 9-9-2014 by dollukka because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Yeah, It looks like their is one sniper just to the left of the big dead tree and in between the leaning branch and the stump, with a barrel sticking out. Sniper FAIL

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

I would think it close to impossible.
without being on site with some high powered bino's

Most of the pics
look like beautiful landscapes
are these snipers on holiday

I would like to see the same test
but say in a urban combat zone...
see what techniques they use to blend in

link   
One will never spot a truly good sniper. Awesome page S&F

And if you will be sniping from the same area, a flash hider is a must. There are other attachments as well that will conceal location.
edit on 9-9-2014 by Fylgje because: (no reason given)

link   

Beyond 50 meters the pattern of the camo doesn't matter. At that distance you want to break up the outline of the soldier. That is where accessories like the ghillie suit come in, as well as adding local vegetation(from the immediate area) in the proper pattern and orientation to the suit, as well as concealing the barrel of the weapon and you could theoretically hide just about anywhere.

There are also advanced techniques for concealment. Like upturned muzzle breaks to reduce dust signature. Getting the ground around you wet so the dust doesn't come up at all. Limiting movements to literally inches at a time, and simply not shooting(keeping tactical patience).

Camouflage is not just the pattern you wear, or the techniques you use, but how well you can look at yourself from the perspective of the enemy.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:32 AM
link   

I only spotted 4. Long story short...I would be dead.lol

This is like Finding Waldo with You Life At Stake....Good Find Dollukka!!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: projectvxn

Beyond 50 meters the pattern of the camo doesn't matter.

^^ This^^.

Most of the rounds that a sniper fires are from a greater distance and if the guy is any good and has good equipment, you will be dead before you have any thought about looking for a sniper.
The people that you see at sniper distances will not be snipers, but some grunt with something reflective that flashes in the sun.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
I'd love to see a .mil sniper vs a hard core bowhunter on 2 acres of forest and 3 days to hunt down each other.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Urban camouflage? You're doing it wrong.

edit: Here he is...

edit on 9/9/14 by AnonymousCitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:50 AM
link   
wonder what these unnoticed snipers would be sniping at?

the enemy high ranking commander ? if so the sniper being so close in 3/4s of the pics almost guarantee the shooter will be dead after the shot is taken on the target.

I think the whole deal is just a confidence builder for the sniper trainee
because any defense perimeter would have scanned the area for heat sources in the infrared

interesting/ entertaining find ---Thanks

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Grrr! I only got 29 of them correct. A couple I can blame on bad monitor resolution, but the rest is just because I'm really out of practice.

This was a very fun exercise, and I didn't get yelled at for missing a few.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:55 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I missed them all. That being said, by the time you figure out there is a sniper with a weapon pointed at you ... you are dead anyways. They are deadly and they are fast.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: MrNeo
I'd love to see a .mil sniper vs a hard core bowhunter on 2 acres of forest and 3 days to hunt down each other.

The sniper would stay put and wait for the bowhunter to enter his field of vision.

location, location, location

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I actually could see lots of them, the far ones are bit too difficult.

It helps to be color blind.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:28 PM
link   
i was able to intuitively spot a location always only an inch (which translates to a few feet) away from where they were almost every time.

Also ive seen the snipers that work on top of the white house.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:46 PM
link   
a reply to: MrNeo

Bowhunter myself, I've taken to making my own camouflage.

I realized that the incredibly realistic prints sold at the outfitters' are actually too detailed to use. With a standard camera, it is easy to spot them at a distance, because they just look black against a setting in the woods.

I base my style off of the one most people call "sticks and limbs", but I put in less detail. Again, it is too dark in the distance.

Deer eyes, like human eyes, detect motion; so if the prey sees you move you're done anyhow.

edit on 9-9-2014 by tovenar because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:57 PM
link   
If the targets have thermal viewers, no amount of camo will help, but I have to think that the majority of targets typically will not be using it (though this will surely change as years go on).

What's the best way to hide a thermal signature? Thick glass...believe it or not.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   
As someone has said he wants to break up his outline. Straight lines don't tend to happen in a natural environment so you want to start there. Then anything that looks out of place compared to its surroundings. That can be anything from an unnatural colour compared to its immediate surroundings to the lens of a spotter's optics. The outline of another human will jump out at anyone which is why he will try to break his silhouette up. That includes his kit and weapon system. Try to imagine where a sniper would have his hide. New ghillie suits mask thermal profiles too. What you can't hide is the thermal profile of a weapon or equipment. The three most likely targets for a sniper are key personnel (support weapon operators etc), chain of command and other snipers.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:06 PM
link   
shape
shine
shadow
silhouette
sound

ect

as said looks like confidence builders a sniper at rock throwing distances! really
a good sniper is rarely close enough to be spotted.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:09 PM
link   
a reply to: Gazrok

There is a type of camouflage that is basically just a mirror. That would hide thermal.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join