It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pennsylvania mother who gave daughter abortion pill gets prison

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:49 AM
link   

MSN Link

HARRISBURG Pa. (Reuters) - A Pennsylvania woman has been sentenced to up to 18 months in prison for obtaining so-called abortion pills online and providing them to her teenage daughter to end her pregnancy.

Jennifer Ann Whalen, 39, of Washingtonville, a single mother who works as a nursing home aide, pleaded guilty in August to obtaining the miscarriage-inducing pills from an online site in Europe for her daughter, 16, who did not want to have the child.

Whalen was sentenced on Friday by Montour County Court of Common Pleas Judge Gary Norton to serve 12 months to 18 months in prison for violating a state law that requires abortions to be performed by physicians.

She was also fined $1,000 and ordered to perform 40 hours of community service after her release. The felony offense called for up to seven years in prison and a $15,000 fine.

The closest abortion clinic to Whalen's home is about 74 miles away in Harrisburg.

The Pennsylvania case follows the prosecution of a Florida man who pleaded guilty to tricking his girlfriend into taking an abortion pill. He was sentenced in January to 13 years in prison and $28,500 restitution. In June, Florida toughened state law to allow for prosecutions in the death of non-viable fetuses.

I know some of you out there are going to flame away at this, but I don't think this sets a good precedent. It's hard enough for a daughter to confront their mom on such an issue. These pills are in most pharmacies, the one near me has them on a stand at ground level but I do not know the requirements of purchase - probably 18 yrs. or older.
Then using a case where a 'boyfiend' tricked his girlfriend just doesn't make sense either, it's not the same at all.

I am a parent of 2 and have never had an abortion. After a certain point abortion IMO is wrong, but initially they are just a collection of cells. I think that's where the problem is, everyone has their own opinion in determining when that changes from cells to human. I can't answer that for you, just myself. But I feel bad now for this family, effected by such a ridiculous medieval decision, it's not like the mom performed surgery. She gave her daughter a pill for purposes it was intended for.

AB
edit on 9/9/2014 by AnteBellum because: picture

+11 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:54 AM
link   
a reply to: AnteBellum

I hope she appeals she should not go to jail.
I bet many on here will say "good she murdered a baby" no she didn't.
It is like sending a guy to jail for selling a gun to someone who killed another really...and that is an extreme example.
Why is the USA so backward sometimes eh?.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:08 AM
link   
I agree this is crazy. I never agreed with this woman should have had any issues with this.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:23 AM
link   

I don't think these pills are found in your local stores. These aren't day after pills (which can be bought for like 40-100 bucks in most cvs stores). I believe she has actually bought abortion pills, the kind that a physician gives women up to 6 weeks pregnant. They are different than the day after pills.

That said.. I don't think the mom should have to do time. A fine and community service was plenty.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:26 AM
link   
We are over populated to begin with.
It should be a women s choice or a partnership agreement. If you are not ready, it could trouble you financially even more and you un-intentionally become a burden to the system. There are people who do a great job, yet there are others who do not and those individuals who see their baby as a pay check and not their child are the ones i am pointing my figures at.

There shouldn't be jail time. Maybe some community service. Satisfy both sides...?

Everyone makes mistakes in their life and I am not one to judge too much or critically on others. But it upsets me when people blame and degrade others who have to make this choice. People who believe that you can't get pregnant when raped, are ignorant.( a swift lesson that is imposed on themselves or their partners should prove that, but that is getting harsh) . Free choice, the right to choose. That individual will have to live with their decision. Isn't that enough? Not everyone is inherently bad.

This topic should be brought up in a more sophisticated manor to the public. Give knowledge to the ignorant masses.

Good Thread,
Regards,

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:28 AM
link   

I agree, this verdict is crazy.

Whalen was sentenced on Friday by Montour County Court of Common Pleas Judge Gary Norton to serve 12 months to 18 months in prison for violating a state law that requires abortions to be performed by physicians.

I guarantee this law was passed way back when surgical instruments in a sterile environment were the only safe means for an abortion. This law was to protect from 'back alley abortions' and 'do it yourself by puncturing' because these led to many many deaths and infections.

I can't stand it when the 'law' is used for something that is clearly not in the spirit it was intended. This mother did not 'perform and abortion' on her daughter. A pill did. It sounds like the daughter willingly ingested a pill. If you want to get technical, a pharmaceutical company performed an abortion on the girl, via a pill they created that she swallowed.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It's one of those draconian laws that states are passing about abortion...

Per state law, anyone seeking an abortion must first visit a clinic for a counseling session and then wait at least 24 hours before having the procedure or obtaining the abortion pill (referred to as a "medical abortion"). Getting the pill at a clinic generally costs between $300 and $600; the drugs Whalen obtained for her daughter online were $45.
But unlike surgical abortions, taking the abortion pill is something a lay person can very easily do on their own, practically speaking. Medical supervision is still important to see that the pill is used properly—it's only recommended in the first 9 weeks of pregnancy—and in case complications arise; it could, however, be done via video consultation for women unable to get to a clinic in person. (For research on the safety of this process, see here.) Yet laws prohibiting precisely this are becoming more common, with at least 11 states specifically banning "telemedicine" abortion. Others specifically bar nurse practitioners from dispensing the drugs, requiring a physician to be present in the room.
Source

It's infuriating! Hopefully this case will make people see how ridiculous these restrictions are. There should be a clinic close enough to visit.

The two cases have absolutely nothing in common and shouldn't even be mentioned together.
edit on 9/9/2014 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This woman is probably just an accessory before the fact as the lawyers would say.

The pills may be prescription?

Community service could be working in a laundry for a diaper cleaning service.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:46 AM
link   
a reply to: GogoVicMorrow

No, not necessarily in a store but they are available via abortion and some medical clinics in most cities. One of the big issues with what this mother did was that this particular drug actually requires a follow up drug to induce contractions to make sure that everything is clear. Without that second drug, it ups the chance of failed termination and/or infection. So really very risky move on the mom's part. It's good that she took her daughter into the ER though the moment things didn't seem to be going ok.

The risks the mother took playing doctor here is what has me on the fence as to whether or not she should be facing jail time. There's nothing in the article noting whether she researched what all needed to be done to make it safe for her daughter including ordering that second drug. Incredibly risky.

I'm probably going to catch some flak here but I'd say that, considering the risks that she exposed her daughter to, giving the mother some jail time is necessary to deter this from repeating because RU-486 is, like you said, not the day after pill.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:58 AM
link   
She should get more time. I don't understand how anyone could kill their baby. If you don't want to get pregnant, then use protection and be careful. Don't play the game if you don't want the grand prize. Only special cases, like deformity or rape, should abortion ever be allowed.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Fylgje

And what if the pregnancy is at risk of killing the mother? Typically, I've seen that one also be considered as "ok" for the medical termination of a pregnancy on the basis that both mother and child would likely die without said intervention.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
This woman should be released immediately. What a stupid law. Also, how did she get caught and arrested to begin with? If you order the pills online and give them to your daughter, which party would be knowledgeable enough to turn her in anyways?

ETA: Oh I see, she took her daughter to the hospital afterwards due to some cramping and bleeding. The nurse/doctor probably turned them in when she told them the story...
edit on 9-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   
I wont get into the - Right or wrong, concerning abortion, but I think sending the mother to jail is wrong!

Prisons are for bad people! This mother is not a bad person, misguided maybe, but she's not bad!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

So really very risky move on the mom's part. It's good that she took her daughter into the ER though the moment things didn't seem to be going ok.

I don't know about that. I guess it's up for debate whether she thought things were going wrong, or if taking her daughter to the ER was part of the original plan. She IS a nurse, who couldn't get access to a doctor or a clinic. I think she knew perfectly well that the pill would cause cramping and contractions, and took her daughter to the ER because that was the correct next step in order to properly see the procedure through.

edit on 9-9-2014 by windword because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Fylgje
She should get more time. I don't understand how anyone could kill their baby. If you don't want to get pregnant, then use protection and be careful. Don't play the game if you don't want the grand prize. Only special cases, like deformity or rape, should abortion ever be allowed.

And why is that? What gives you the right to tell someone else what they can and can't do with their body?

The whole line of questioning "I don't understand how anyone could kill their baby" is MASSIVELY flawed. If the woman is a single mother and not financially able to care for the child, a drug addict, or any other number of factors that could cause the child to be severely mistreated, malnourished, or neglected are GREAT reasons to have abortions. But anti-abortion types just look at the fetus, as soon as the baby pops out of the womb, it's not their problem anymore. They've saved a life in their mind only to damn that poor child to growing up in possibly hellish conditions.

If you don't agree with it, fine. But DON'T pretend like you can tell someone else not to do it. If you don't like it for religious reasons, then fine let the person take it up with your god when they get to the afterlife. YOU (and the state) are unnecessary in the decision process when an expectant mother makes the decision to get or not to get an abortion.
edit on 9-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:15 AM
link   
a reply to: WhiteAlice

Child endangerment seems more fitting to me also.

Sorry, resorted to doing this on the cell phone or I'd type more. The browser issues have been getting worse and worse lately.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:16 AM
link   
To all the anti abortionists can you answer these questions?.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:19 AM
link   
a reply to: windword

The ER as the next step makes logical sense to me also given the mom works alongside nurses.

My ex's sister in law just had this proceedure on Friday and she too went through a bit of hell, again followed up by another visit. She was 3 weeks in and used protection.
edit on 9/9/2014 by AnteBellum because: clarification

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Jennifer Ann Whalen, 39, of Washingtonville, a single mother who works as a nursing home aide

I would hate to be under her care.

Especially if a "decision" was required !!

I would definitely want a "2nd opinion"

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

you're right BH...it's a wonder you women are still allowed to vote (sarcasm)....when are the women of America going to come together and demand these Neanderthal laws get tossed into the bins of history?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join