It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how large/extensive is your music collection? what mediums?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

140+ gigs, mixed genres, digital.
10-15 "Hard Core" cds

I have everything from a comprehensive collection of classical music to a comprehensive collection of blues and EVERYTHING in between. I like to keep entire discographies of notable groups.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   
About 250gb of mp3s, about 300 CDs , about 200 vinyl, both 7inch and 12inch and a couple bags of cassette tapes.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I'm at about 60GB here, but I am very selective and picky about my music! I usually only listen to music in the car or when I am drawing/working at my PC, or busy with a model build.

I can't list everything, obvs, but noteworthy examples would include:

* Thematic orchestral movie/TV soundtracks such as Star Wars, Morse, Batman (1989), Jurassic Park, a few Star Trek movies and the Voyager & DS9 soundtracks, Band Of Brothers, Stargate, Das Boot, and many more

* Orchestral video game soundtracks such as Medal Of Honor, MOH:Frontline, MOH:European Assault, MOH: Underground, BLACK, Skyrim, most Halo soundtracks, and I'll probably add the Destiny soundtrack when it arrives. I also have the Persona 4 soundtrack which is RIDICULOUS and INSANE and yet at the same time COMPLETELY AWESOME.

* The "Stuff From My Youth" collection which includes a few Queen albums, a few ELO albums, most Jarre up until Revolutions, "Thief" and "Exit" by Tangerine Dream, Wendy Carlo's "Switched-On Box Set", a few Penguin Cafe albums (if you have no idea about Penguin Cafe, please google the album "Music From The Penguin Cafe" and check them out. Strongly recommended), the Best of Jon and Vangelis, and more old stuff. I'm, not really into songs per se, other than stuff I grew up with.

* A small collection of proper vintage stuff: Miles Davis, Oscar Peterson, Ted Heath & His Orchestra, Inkspots, most of the songs featured in Fallout 3, The B Side of the Singing Detective (soundtrack collection) and a few odds and ends I have picked up.

* A rather large and odd collection of orchestral "library music" from the KPM Production Archives that I...um..."obtained" through various means. These are pieces written purely for the KPM library that are then made available to film and TV production companies for licensed use, and can't simply be bought. Now I have a great big library of, well, library music, and the only downside is that I can spot and recognise so many pieces of music in TV programmes now that it kinda sucks.

What else...um...oh, a fair amount of classical baroque - Bach, Scarlatti and the like.

That's about it.

edit on 9/9/2014 by dogsounds because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Well aint that a hoot. A fraud and then Barnum made a copy and charged money to see it/ A fraud of a fraud.
Thanks for getting back CG.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Got it all on you tube baby!

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Somewhere between one and two thousand cd's. It's hard to tell and I ain't taking the time to count them. Two hundred albums, or so. A couple hundred cassettes in my friends garage as that's the only working tape player around at the moment(most of it is recordings of my cd's anyway, so they are more use over there). Around 50 concert and music related dvd's. Videos on videotape, a few 45's, even a few 8-tracks somewhere in a box.

I'm waiting for the new Flying Colors album/cd package and re-release of Spock's Beard's V album/cd to arrive at the end of the month. I don't buy a lot these days but when I do I go all out. Get the full package. I'm thinking of trying to sell my Rush dvd's and buy them in the new R40 package with the extra disc. I don't know if that will be available by itself and even if so my R30 packaging is gone(don't loan stuff to flakes is the lesson learned there). The price is a wee bit steep so I'd have to recoup the money, at least a little bit.

Forgot to add about forty picture discs. One that's supposed to be Judas Priest and is Neil Diamond.

Rockin' and rollin' is just howlin' at the moon. NP: Kansas - Device, Voice, Drum Atlanta 2002
edit on 9/10/2014 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
im pretty impressed with the size and scope of some of your collections. also the way it is organized and played. you mugs sure ain't messing around.

posted on Sep, 12 2014 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Being a collector is a curse. I had to stop, realizing that I just can't own everything, I can't listen to everything and I can't take it with me when I check out. Right now I'll only get new releases from a few bands I like, like the SB and Flying Colors mentioned. Also old re-releases that I need to complete from certain bands like Deep Purple's Made In Japan, of which I only own I don't know how many versions of and "need" to get the newest one.

I'm kinda lucky these days as not much impresses me so there's not much I want to have. With everything up on Youtube there's not much need anymore for the large collection unless you are weird. A lot of the stuff I have was considered rare or semi-rare BITD but it's not now so my collection isn't even worth much money if I decided to sell it.

Music is one of the few things I enjoy in life. A art form that can't be seen that still intrigues me after forty plus years.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join