It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how large/extensive is your music collection? what mediums?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
im just curious at how many audiophiles we have here.
please can we not let this turn into the legal vs illegal download debate.

so i will start. i have about 100 gigs as of right now. thats the only medium i have music on except for my 11 beatles records.
i used to have a lot of records/tapes/cd's but i truly have found it is just easier with it all being on my computer.

i guess i am an audiophile in the sense that i have to have as much as i can from whoever i like or am into at the time.
i dont care who it is. if i like 1 song from musician x then i have to acquire everything i can find.

others need it on every medium. others only like records...

so lets have it.

what mediums and how extensive.....

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   
a reply to: CardiffGiant

About 250 gigs.
From 1920's big band stuff, ye olde music, Metal, indie rock, classical just not into dance.
I used to have a record collection worth around 15k (Uk) but my second wife burnt them all because I was late home from work
So mostly on computers backed up x2 lol.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:41 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

nice man,,,
i thought i had a lot. i need to get a portable hard drive though...
im down to one computer and its having issues. if i lose all this music i will blow a gasket

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Yes do it..back it up losing a whole collection made me cry.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:51 AM
link   
~175GB. A lot of 70s rock and prog/metal from all years, plus a ton of other stuff as you might imagine. Plus some stuff my wife likes too... I have the CDs and whatnot from them but have ripped them all and share them via NAS to my home network.
All the TVs have a Raspberry Pi attached, running XBMC so that I can access them from any room.
When I built the house I put speakers in the ceiling and ethernet in the walls, and ran some lines outside too.
It's the bee's knees I tells ya.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:55 AM
link   

1.4TB of music files. A total of 192.000 tracks - yeah i love music

It started as a hobby back in 1998 to make a music storage system for all my CD's. I converted them all to mp3-files, and stored them encrypted in my new archive. And of course i was on the Napster-wave too, getting all those tracks that was rare and almost impossible to get legal. The Napster issue was the reason i encrypted the archive. And should the CD's get stolen, they would be worthless to anyone - unless they would attempt to crack it. There was 256^256 combinations

The archive would span 5 CD's back then, with a total of about 500 tracks. Using a CD-changer which could hold 5 CD's was rather cool, since i had instant access to 500 tracks at all time. At that time, a HDD was typical 4GB, so it was vital to store digital music on CD's. In 2000, i changed to DVD's.

The archive has grown since. When the internet began picking up speed, i started to download almost any discography i could get my hands on, compilations, greatest hits and so on.

My system now has a web-interface, which i can access anywhere in the world. Still working on it from time to time, since it is a hobby

The 1.4TB of data is stored on a 2GB NAS. No more CD's, no more DVD's

edit on 9/9/2014 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

edit on 9/9/2014 by kloejen because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: kloejen

thats awesome man..
i hope to get there one day

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:01 AM
link   
a reply to: demonhauntedworld

whats up man?
i dont want to derail this thread but do you think you could toss me a couple easy to read links on how to make the most of rasberry pie?
i would love to hook them up to the tv like that...

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: CardiffGiant

whats up man?
i dont want to derail this thread but do you think you could toss me a couple easy to read links on how to make the most of rasberry pie?
i would love to hook them up to the tv like that...

Sure thing.
XBian is the build of XBMC that I use. It is made specifically to run on Raspberry Pi.
Download the image and write it to your SD card with something like Win32 Disk Imager.
Plug in the SD card into the Pi, hook your HDMI up to your TV, and that's it.
It boots right to XBMC, in under a minute usually. I just leave it on all the time, the cost of electricity to run it for a year is something like the price of a hamburger.
XBMC is free and highly customizable so you can pretty much do whatever you want.
If you want to PM me with any questions, feel free.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:23 AM
link   

far out man... thanks... im gonna start digging in.. ive been seeing the rasberry pi in the mags i get but never gave them much thought.
real fast, the win32, does that run on ubuntu? thats what i use

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Oh! Win32 DI is for windows obviously.
Here's the steps for ubuntu.
askubuntu.com...

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Off topic... Were you watching the movie "Made" when you chose your screen name?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire
Off topic... Were you watching the movie "Made" when you chose your screen name?

ha..wasnt watching it at the time.... i did see the movie way back though and i remember he had to use the name cardiff giant. i didnt know what it was and never bothered to look. thought it was just something for the movie. then i dont know about 2 years ago i was cruising wikipedia reading conspiracy theories and then hoaxes and somehow got linked to the story and it registered.
i liked it so i use it

ha

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Letsee... I have a lot of music mp3s, around a thousand. Ranges from Japanese superhero music, to 80s pop and new wave, to a few new age and select classics, like Beatles' Yellow Submarine. I also have a lot of CDs, including a few artist albums, but mostly 80s era artists.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I have always thought 'audiophile' referred to the sound reproduction aspect than the actual music/sound itself. One can be an audiophile even if they only watch movies, but demand a certain sound signature or, at least, a certain level of quality. Maybe its different over the pond? Either way, I am an even bigger audiophile than music lover.
edit on 9-9-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I think "audiophile" nowadays just means you spend way too much money on speaker wire (insert smiley face here)
edit on 9-9-2014 by demonhauntedworld because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Ok, here goes:

I have over 800 CDs & 400 Vinyl Records for my physical collection.

Digital medium, I have about 702gb (28,192 songs). 90% are encoded in ALAC lossless format. I listen to a wide range of genres. Mostly classic rock, blues, indie rock. I have a huge amount of live stuff from Grateful Dead, pearl Jam and Dave Matthews Band. Also, hip-hop, 60-70's soul, some older country and everything in between.

I use iTunes as my media manager on my mac mini. I feed the mini to a DacMagic D/A converter that in turn feeds my main vintage stereo system. I have 4 Apple TVs scattered around the house that also rely on my music library as well as the 300+ bluray movie rips.

It's a good system that works well for me. My three young kids can access the music and movies from one of the ATV's or their iPad minis. I have parental controls and ratings on the movies and music so the kids don't see or hear anything they're not supposed to.

The library resides on a server grade 4tb internal drive. It is synced nightly with an external 4tb drive. I also have another external 4tb drive that I do a monthly backup with and keep at my office.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I'll be the odd one. The only thing I use my computer for music wise is recording my own songs or producing others songs. I have Hard copies of all my music just because I prefer owning it in my hand. I'm also a rock researcher/pedantic so I like to read liner notes for session credits, engineering credits etc.

I have about 400 CDs, 150 Vinyl records, 230 cassettes(how archaic!), 7 box sets, 35 concert dvds and a full size bookshelf of rock bios and history. The genres run deep from strange culty obscurites to smash hit albums from the 60s to the present. I'm not professing to judge those who use computers for their music , the reason I do what I do is I have a full stereo system and being the kind of guy I am I want to hear the little things in the music, the details, and I know about the compression of files when digitized or made into mp3s, so I guess I'm a sound elitist. However I'm psyched about people enjoying music in any form or fashion.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:38 PM
link   
a reply to: waverlyhills

I agree with the sound quality factor. However, you'd be surprised how good the sound is coming from my lossless files through a good DAC to my 1978 Yamaha CR2020 receiver. That bad boy in turn feeds my pair of Yamaha NS-1000M's. On some music, I'm hard pressed to tell the difference between that and my vinyl.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: waverlyhills

Just an FYI for you or anyone reading; CD's and DVD's are a digitized format and there are more formats than just *.mp3 and many source recordings aren't good enough to warrant lossless encoding in the first place.

I also have my PC hooked up to my home theater/listening station. Better set-up for nearly all media, including games.

That said, I adore the nice warm, fuzzy distortion of a full analog system (NO solid state!!), and have one setup right next to everything else.
edit on 9-9-2014 by Serdgiam because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join