It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AT&T and Verizon say 10Mbps is too fast for “broadband,” 4Mbps is enough

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:48 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

D/FW

Not surprised that is why I asked. That is an upcoming Google fiberhood. See what happens with competition. All the sudden they have the capability and will to do it.

As for how the red tape came to be, I'm not going to buy anyone's word on this site. Sorry! I'm sure it's a bit more complicated than many make it seem.

You don't have to take anyones word for it here. All it requires is common sense and a little research.

There is as a revolving door policy between the FCC who creates the regulations and the Telecom lobbyiest . The door also swings both ways between FCC to ISP and vice versa.

www.opensecrets.org...

The telecom industry also spends tens of millions a year in lobbying.

Also which scenerio do you think is more realistic:
1, Our elected officials actually sit around thinking about the best way to help the consumer?

2. Or that the Telecom army of lawyers who spend billions annually to lobby congress are the ones who actually create drafts for our elected officials to robo sign ?

Remember these elected officials are the same people that one of their representatives said you have to pass the bill to find what is in it. Also don't forget those same elected officials depend on the campaign contributions to maintain their position in office.

Also do you think it was the consumer and voters that asked congress to undo net neutralilty or was it the Telecom industry?

Its naive at best to think that the Telecom industry ddin't have a major role in the existing red tape .
edit on 10930America/ChicagoTue, 09 Sep 2014 13:10:05 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: interupt42

You completely missed my point.

It's MORE COMPLICATED than most are making it out to be.

One sidedness doesn't work with me.

Google is not coming into the DFW area.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Google is not coming into the DFW area.

I'm sure google fiber had nothing to do with it and pure coincidence that ATT is pushing for this.

arstechnica.com...

Two months after Google announced that it will try to bring fiber Internet to 34 cities in nine metro areas, AT&T today said it will "expand its ultra-fast fiber network to up to 100 candidate cities and municipalities nationwide, including 21 new major metropolitan areas."

Before anyone gets too excited, AT&T isn't promising that it will actually build in any or all of these cities. "This expanded fiber build is not expected to impact AT&T’s capital investment plans for 2014," the company's announcement said, possibly to assure investors that it isn't wasting money.

You completely missed my point.

It's MORE COMPLICATED than most are making it out to be.

One sidedness doesn't work with me.

I really don't think its that complicated. Its monolistic tactics from one of the biggest Oligopolies in the US that is to blame.

Year after year the telecom industry especially comcast keeps getting rated among the top most hated companies by its customers. Yet they keep making billiions and not only surviving but flourishing.

What kind of business but a monopoly could survive with such a un displeased customer base?

Why didn't The existing telecom Att Verson and Comcast not do what Google started as a newbie in the ISP market place?
edit on 36930America/ChicagoTue, 09 Sep 2014 13:36:17 -0500up3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Both companies are notorious for hidden fees, price hikes, and what some would call price gauging.

No surprises they would want to limit bandwidth in an attempt to maximize their price on the high speed internet access.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:43 PM
link   
In Sweden 100mbit is standard. You can get 300mbit for around 60$ every month.
We have it good here

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
This is such crap. Its right in line with the debated Bill Gates quote "640K (RAM) ought to be enough for anybody."

Technology is advancing and while 10 mbps might be acceptable now, it won't be in 5 years. Software is getting more advanced and files are getting larger. I don't have numbers to back this up, but people seem to be streaming more tv shows and movies instead of buying DVDs. If the amount of streaming content has not surpassed DVD/Blu-Ray purchases, it will before long.

Console gaming requires a TON of bandwidth, especially with the next-gen systems. A single Xbox One game for example can be 50 gigabytes or larger between the base game and all the updates and add-ons. at 10 mbps we are talking 11+ hours to download! Yeah Verizon, im sure your customers are going to be completely fine with waiting 11+ hours to download a game they purchased, since you don't think they need any faster speeds.

The point is, technology will not stop advancing. If the ISPs in the states don't get their act together and prepare for the future, they will be left in the dust. Outfits like Google fiber are poised and ready to jump in to the gap left behind by these short sighted internet providers.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Yeah, rest of the world, you got it awesome. In this you are much better than America. I pay 108$ a month to Frontier for 25 MB/s and no cap. It does not matter, thought. They can say i have 100 MB/s but when i download something, the fastest my speed ever gets is 4.3 MB/s for download. These "Test your speed" tools and engines just lie to me.
edit on 9-9-2014 by Heruactic because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:33 PM
link   
What are people moaning at i get a speed of 1 mbps and i am only 3 miles from the exchange i gave up trying to watch or download anything and cancelled the contract now i just use a wifi [ free]

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Heruactic

Your broadband speed is in megabits per second and your download speed is in megabytes per second , downloading 4.3 megabytes ps on a 25 megabit connection sounds about right to me.
The speed tests don't lie to you you just don't understand the difference between your bits and bytes

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:49 PM
link   
76.8Mb down, 19.4Mb up.....£19.99 a month (£15.99 of that is line rental)...and unlimited bandwidth.

I couldn't imagine living with 4Mb now, it would be like going back to dial up, or dual ISDN!

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:57 PM
link   
AT&T is so full if it. Major ripoff monopoly. Live somewhere other than a very large city and see how much they care about your service.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
This is hilarious, I'm in Sweden and just today I saw a commercial saying:

"We now upgrade our customers to at least 50 mbit/s free of charge"

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I read that the internet in this country is so backwards that we're ranked number 34 or 35 on the list of countries with the fastest internet. One of the reasons is because of how the phone companies were before I believe the 1970s.

Corruption, overpriced, spotty service. That's the US internet in a nutshell. Incompetent, mostly lazy technicians, companies that pass the buck of responsibility to the consumer. That's the US internet in a softball.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: interupt42

D/FW

Not surprised that is why I asked. That is an upcoming Google fiberhood. See what happens with competition. All the sudden they have the capability and will to do it.

THIS IS WHAT YOU WROTE, THEN YOU CHANGED THE GOALPOST.

YOU'RE INTELLECTUALLY DISHONEST, AND NOT WORTH THE EFFORT.

What is wrong with people on this site?

They can't be an ADULT and admit when they're incorrect?

Completely immature!
edit on 9-9-2014 by pl3bscheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese

originally posted by: interupt42

D/FW

THIS IS WHAT YOU WROTE, THEN YOU CHANGED THE GOALPOST.

YOU'RE INTELLECTUALLY DISHONEST, AND NOT WORTH THE EFFORT.

What is wrong with people on this site?

They can't be an ADULT and admit when they're incorrect?

Completely immature!

What are you talking about . Are you saying that Google Fiber has nothing todo with why Att and the other 2 are saying they are planning to offer 1gbs in the near future and why they have doubled their service and decreased prices in certain markets.

LOL, You are the one not answering the questions and trying to change the goal post .

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
It all sounds like science fiction to me after all these years of the internet and the best service I can get is still hardly better than dialup (but still expensive) yet every day I hear people complain about not being able to upgrade their 25mb/sec connection. A speed like that would be the stuff of dreams to me.

I don't live in the bush and there is hope yet as the NBN fibre installation is still going on just up the road. Trouble is they've been at it for years and don't seem to be getting any closer.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I am with bright house I pay about $150.00 a month for cable and internet I get a little over 100Mb down and a little over 10Mb up.

Link
edit on 9-9-2014 by Buddyweiser because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2014 by Buddyweiser because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Some great replies in this thread, thanks all for the contribution. It's interesting to see other people's internet speeds relative to what we have here in the US.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
For 20$ I HAD 10Mbps connection with 80gb download in the city here in Asia , You guys are really paying out of your rear ends

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Im in St. Louis and have Charter, 100mps and $50 a month with no cap.

At&t U verse still sucks pretty bad, at the most its 20mps.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join