It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannabis Use Is Quantitatively Associated with Nucleus Accumbens and Amygdala Abnormalities in Young

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:50 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I agree other factors combine to cause it, the kids who are 12 who use it don't normally come from stable backgrounds but it certainly is a part of the reason they get unwell.

Oh and lol I get it for the cat tbh

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
They have been saying this for a long time.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:02 AM
link   
a reply to: LDragonFire

This is how it effects an older brain.

Makes sense.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:06 AM
link   
a reply to: boymonkey74

This is how it effects , uh what was I talking about?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:08 AM
link   

I shouldn't have let Stewie ride me like that but hey I can't remember it

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   

They have been saying this for a long time.

more like this

edit on 9-9-2014 by hopenotfeariswhatweneed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Great song and kinda truthful depending on the user, but this whole thread is about use in "young adults" whatever that means. Young adults generally means teenagers to me and nobody is advocating for allowing kids/teens access to any drug, except caffeine since that's unregulated. IMHO young adults ranges from 12-13 all the way up to 18 year olds.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   
So thayeth the pseudo intelligencia all in the pocket of big pharma.
edit on 9-9-2014 by HUMBLEONE because: computer

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 06:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

originally posted by: AllSourceIntel

originally posted by: TinfoilTP

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: TinfoilTP

Nice generalization based on no facts. That almost sounds like a propaganda pitch to me.

Did you read all those big words in the study that is the topic of this thread and come to the conclusion no fact finding was attempted?

Insulting and demeaning someone is a turn-off you know. To you, your profile, and anything you have to say. .

Ooooh this must be a brave member of the majority putting the minority view in their place, I better be careful hey or nobody will like me. Never mind that a study here is showing evidence of brain changes that are detrimental, don't speak of it, allude to it, try to connect the findings to everyday observations. Don't go against the current trend just because some study suggests you should, think of ones reputation instead.

Logic is prevailing.

Talk about 'sheeple'... using anything BUT logic to argue his stance, and then proclaiming victory by claiming logic.

Sadly, the efforts involved in trying to argue with his ilk, are wasted and exhausting. Logic here, will prevail, as the mindset of his sort succumb to the addling of old age and their antiquity ceases to have any impact on the society they impose their self righteous arrogance on.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

i knew a guy who was an alcoholic and his doctor told him to smoke more pot and drink less,he will live longer

There are quite a few "street" drugs that have shown promise in treating chronic alcoholism, most notably the psychedelics.

Of course you'll find that they remain quite illegal. I wonder why...

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:32 AM
link   

More like Big Pharm, the prison industrial complex, police unions, and alcohol. The tobacco industry wants it legal, they are probably all ready to make packs of marijuana cigarettes to set next to the ones at the convenience store.

Marijuana Legalization: Pharmaceuticals, Alcohol Industry Among Biggest Opponents Of Legal Weed

The biggest players in the anti-marijuana legalization movement are pharmaceutical, alcohol and beer companies, private prison corporations and police unions, all of whom help fund lobby groups that challenge marijuana law reform. In 2010, California Beer and Beverage Distributors funneled $10,000 to Public Safety First, a political action committee, or PAC, that led the opposition to California’s Prop 19. The initiative, if passed, would have legalized recreational marijuana in the state.

Know your enemy.

Corrections Corporations of America, one of the largest for-profit prison companies in the U.S., has spent nearly $1 million a year on lobbying efforts. The company even stated in a report that “changes with respect to drugs and controlled substances … could affect the number of persons arrested, convicted, and sentenced, thereby potentially reducing demand for correctional facilities to house them.”

WTF!!! Oh no! God forbid that we have less prisons and people incarcerated in this country! What ever are we going to do?

The idea is that drug companies want to sell expensive drugs by downplaying the medical benefits of marijuana, alcohol and beer manufacturers do not want to compete for customers with legal pot, and private prisons need to fill their beds with convicted drug offenders. That means marijuana advocates have some pretty large -- and well-funded -- enemies to contend with.

edit on 9-9-2014 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Here in the uk we can go on a government website and ask a question to be asked in parliament, we could ask If they are going to do what they have done in the states.
We need 100k people to agree with it...anyone know how to do it?.

Just found one

epetitions.direct.gov.uk...
edit on 9-9-2014 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
a reply to: onequestion

Compare long term cannabis use versus long term use of Adderal(salts of amphetamine, aka kiddie meth), the stuff they prescribe children for ADHD, then we can have an intelligent debate.

Those who want prohibition to continue are merely grasping at straws at this point of the L debate.

At this point anything negative that could be shown about THC isn't going to be listened to anyway.
edit on 9-9-2014 by Logarock because: n

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 07:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

WTF!!! Oh no! God forbid that we have less prisons and people incarcerated in this country! What ever are we going to do?

well thats just silly ...build more prisons of course...all these out of control hippies...we have to do something with them...otherwise we might end up in another flower revolution like in the 60s....we need anger not peace...my god man what is wrong with you...

what a world we live in...im way too drunk to come up with anything helpfull so i will go to bed and leave you with a song...

(post by phishfriar47 removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 08:58 AM
link   

there isn't much that WON'T change brain development in developing kids. learning an instrument will change things, or a second language.

obviously i think 21 is a good age to hold out for, but the study isn't negative.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Greetings- 'ear 'ol dis.. cough... cough...' So kids shouldn't use cannabis, Yeah We know.. Maybe BigPharma™ should've done a study like this prior to prescribing the millions of Rx. drugs that were "safe"? I haven't been a member of ATS™ for that long, that You 'know' of, but I don't remember seeing a similar study anywhere on the intraweb regarding drugs that were APPROVED for use for kids that "are out of control" while Mom is taking selfies and playing with an app. * How many folks go "off their axis" and then at the trial and/or autopsy what have they ingested??

What has been tried up to this point is an utter failure and not only does it not work but now under the guise of "Security" the local Police Dep't. has a SWAT team. NASA has a Swat team. The EPA has a ton of ammo. Why?

I'd also bring Your attention of a thread going about that dealt with a number of anti-cannabis papers were submitted by those under the employ of BigPHarma™ And "they" don't want You to be able to grow Your own medicine, 'they' would lose $Billion$ (see above plethora of un-needed Rx doses x $20 Co-pay= No Way.. and because 'their' $ is off-shore, No Way, Jose.

namaste

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I will raise you:

www.sciencedirect.com...

Results

Significantly smaller grey matter volumes in left superior frontal cortex, left precentral cortex, right insula, right putamen, left thalamus, bilateral superior parietal cortex and right supramarginal cortex were present in subjects with an alcohol use disorder compared to healthy controls and problem gamblers. No significant grey matter volume differences were present between problem gamblers and healthy controls.

jop.sagepub.com...

showed alcohol to be more than twice as harmful as cannabis to users, and five times as harmful as cannabis to others.

edit on 23930America/ChicagoTue, 09 Sep 2014 09:23:01 -0500000000p3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 09:44 AM
link   

The article doesn't necessarily say something bad is happening in their brains, it says "Gray matter density analyses revealed greater gray matter density in marijuana users". That could actually mean it's helping in some way. But of course they say it near the part of the brain related to addiction, and therefore it must be some how make marijuana addictive... which makes next to zero sense in my mind, it's not like if you stop getting high that part of your brain will shrink, and it's not like past marijuana smokers are constantly fighting back an addiction even after they get clean. Once you stop smoking for a week or two the urge to smoke is totally gone, trust me I'm an expert.
edit on 9/9/2014 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   

I cannot read the entire study, as I'm not a member of the Journal of Neuroscience, however one of the commenters made an interesting point:

However, the authors repeatedly and explicitly state a causative relationship between the cannabis use and the anatomic changes throughout the article, only to state in the second-to-last paragraph that no causative relationship can be concluded due to the cross-sectional design of this study

EXPANDED COMMENT
So this tells me that something misleading may be occurring in both the title of this paper and the hypothesis that the scientists sought to prove.

I will try to dig and see who provided the money for this "study."

This research was funded by the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the Office of National Drug Control Policy, Counterdrug Technology Assessment Center, and the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke

Article discussing the study in more layman's terms

edit on 9-9-2014 by kelbtalfenek because: added links/information

Going further the study was comprised of a very small number of participants (40 total, 20 smokers and 20 non-smokers.) This sample size is not large enough to determine anything of any great scope, and a short time period of study as well. The authors of this study were, it seems to me, out to prove something.
edit on 9-9-2014 by kelbtalfenek because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join