It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BLS: Unemployed More Likely to Go Shopping on Average Day Than Look for Job

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Well this is surprising !!

The Bureau of Labor Statistics has data (from 2009 through 2013) that shows unemployed people spend less time looking for work than they spend shopping.

Probably natural and due to no real jobs being available anyway.

On the average day, an unemployed American is more likely to be shopping—for things other than groceries and gas---than to be looking for a new job, according to data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Only 18.9 percent of Americans who were unemployed (in surveys conducted from 2009 through 2013) spent time in job search and interviewing activities on an average day, according to BLS. Yet 40.8 percent of the unemployed did some kind of shopping on the average day--either in a store, by telephone, or on the Internet. 22.5 percent of the unemployed, according to BLS, were shopping for items other than groceries, food and gas.

BLS: Unemployed More Likely to Go Shopping on Average Day Than Look for Job

Shocking !!

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:32 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen

Doing a job application these days (at least for graduate positions) takes a day in itself. First you upload your CV/resume, then you have to add your career history/work experience/university qualifications and the cover letter, then fill out the diversity/equal opportunities/criminal history sections. If you are lucky, then they offer you a technical test. If you get all the questions right, then they think something funny went on with the test.

edit on 8-9-2014 by stormcell because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Considering so many places use employment agencies now days, this does not surprise me a bit. You can't drop a resume or grab an application at these businesses anymore.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Well if they mean grocery shopping of course they need to.

If they meant shopping for the latest iphone and other luxury items then something is wrong.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

What would be shocking is the people that think that THEIR party would fix the issue or had no part in the blatant misuse of tax payers funds. Both parties have had their chances when they had full control and guess what: the issue hasn't gone away nor will it.

edit on 45930America/ChicagoMon, 08 Sep 2014 22:45:14 -0500up3042 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: starwarsisreal

Well if they mean grocery shopping of course they need to.

If they meant shopping for the latest iphone and other luxury items then something is wrong.

A smartphone or iphone is practically essential for finding work these days. You need it to catch phone calls, get alerts on jobs posted, do meetups and social networking. A PC or preferably a laptop is essential for doing applications development which can be a source of revenue.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

A better example shopping for the latest Xbox and PS4 then something is wrong.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   
You are on unemployment, collecting a small paycheck, and you are supposed to be out riding around all day every day looking for a job? How are you supposed to pay your rent or make your house payment. Since you aren't working, you have to fix things yourself, so you have to go buy supplies since you can't hire out the work.

I think the people on top are a little disconnected.

If I had workers who are laid off for a few months in the winter, I don't want them getting a different job and stranding me when I start up construction again. Employers pay into unemployment, they should have some say so into this matter. I Spent a lot of time breaking them in and teaching them what I know.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:52 PM
link   

Oh my god you mean the poor need food on Sunday too?

Been there done that. I bought gas everytime I went looking for work I bought razors every week so I had a chance of getting hired and I never bought anything I didn't immediately need, so yeah there were multiple trips a week to get just bread or just laundry soap etc.

Torture those facts until they confess though.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   
True. I just lost my job today through no fault of my own. I don't plan on shopping!!! I am a Real Estate agent now and decided to go ahead and get my Brokers license. It a 72 hour course and another 60 hour course after you pass the State licensing exam. In my years of being an agent, I have found a niche market that is wide open to be exploited. If it goes well I will franchise it later. I had thought about going and looking for a job elsewhere, but after working in Real Estate for 10 years and being able to determine my own schedule I just don't think I can sit in some office all day. The government has positions for Real Estate agents, but I would have to move to another state like Colorado or Michigan.

Bottom line is, sometimes you have to get out and improve your abilities and make your own job. I will be 50 next year and there are not many positions where I can make the kind of money I make in R.E.. I have difficulty making it through the day anyway with all the damage I have sustained physically. Finding a regular 8-5 job would be difficult anyway with all the unemployed, younger, and probably better educated that are also out looking. And when you consider that in 2015 businesses will have to comply with the ACA (Obamacare), I can see cut backs, layoffs, more part time (under 30 hours) positions to avoid having to pay for insurance and all that foreseen really made my decision to stay in my current career even if I have to upgrade my license and start a brokerage business. Fortunately, I have 2 family members that also are R.E. Sales Associates that will come to work with me as soon as I get going. I can also start it out of my home office, so I don't have a huge cash outlay to get going. I already have 3 years of web hosting space, so I will build a website and get things rolling as soon as I get that Broker's license. I figure it will take a month to do and I still have commissions that will be paid over the next month to help keep my family going.

But, OP is shocking that those statistics are what they are. Shopping? Someone must be working for them to go shopping for non necessities. Or the government (Tax Payers) is paying for it. I don't know, but there is a serious bad work ethic that I noticed with the younger generation. Not all of them, but at least around where I live these 20+ think everything should be given to them. I can't tell you how many times my daughters friends have told me how hard it is for their generation to get anywhere. I actually had one that was on the government dole tell me that one day it was just going to click and they would have a car, house, and high paying job...just like that! No effort, no higher education, or anything and somehow they think they will just be granted what everyone else has busted their butt for.

edit on 8/9/14 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

The “unemployed” are defined as individuals who are jobless, available for work, and actively looking for a job. But the BLS data shows that looking for a job may not be the most time-consuming activity in the unemployed Americans average day.

Are they on unemployment?

If their term for "unemployed" is similar to numbers reflects in the local and overall unemployment rate, then there's a slight or more disconnect. To say if they are on unemployment with payments, sure they can be shopping for non foodstamp items for example as the OP chart shows. If they have no income from being unemployed(minus those with disabilities/on disability benefits who are not searching for work) how can they shop if they seemingly have no income from being unemployed? Unless there's saved cash.

If they include those on unemployment benefits. Not minding those who have been unemployed for quite a while.
I suspect many have given up spending the majority of their time looking for work due to how the markets looks for them as well as other things such as did they quite or were fired due to a condition with their health, etc.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I assume they're talking about people that are drawing unemployment money . I don't know why else they would be concerned.

I personally don't see any problem with unemployed people shopping for things that they might want . Unemployment money is something that they worked to earn and obviously are getting it because they lost their job through no fault of their own . If they're using their unemployment money to buy things that they like to have, I see no problem with that . If they're not drawing unemployment money and buying things with their own money then why does it matter?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Shopping with what you arrogant asses! Shopping with what! Food? oh so it takes time to shop, well eff me.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 01:47 AM
link   

The BLS conducts a study called the American Time Use Survey (ATUS) which tracks how Americans spend their time doing various activities during a given day. “The goal of the survey is to measure how people divide their time among life’s activities,” explains the BLS. “Individuals are randomly selected from subset of households that have completed their eighth and final month of interviews for the Current Population Survey (CPS). ATUS respondents are interviewed only one time about how they spent their time on the previous day, where they were, and whom they were with.”

So because they didn't happen to be actively job-hunting the previous day means all their time every day/week/month/etc is spent "shopping"? Highly doubtful.
edit on 9/9/14 by thov420 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Now, you have to take some things into consideration. I'm going to use myself as an example...

I have been unemployed a couple times, but never for very long. I don't have a college degree under my belt, so, in essence, it's quite easy for me to get a job (paying $9.25-$12 an hour) as opposed to the average middle class worker who wants/needs the job that pays 40-60k a year salary.

Every time I have changed careers, it has taken me 2 days, filling out 3 applications at an hour a piece, and boom. I'm employed. Do I want to spend every waking minute filling out applications? Hell no. I obsess about my jobs enough when I have them. I don't need to obsess about them when I'm unemployed. I consider those "vacation" days. What do you want to do on your vacation? Obsess about work, or but some stuff to fix your house up, fix your car, buy a cool little foot massager, etc?

Maybe this statistic should be labeled "unemployed people more likely to enjoy life than they are to rush to bend over backwards for next employer"

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:43 PM
link   

No offense, but CNS News (Conservative News Station - Your Source) is famous for bad math and less than honest reporting.

They seem to have forgotten to include any links/sources to the BLS statistics they are claiming? Can you help with a link?

If they are going to get their hate on for the unemployed, can we see the actual stats?

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I wonder if this study considered that you can fill out applications pretty quickly online for most companies. No need to go out and about if you can boot up the machine and do it at home.

ETA:

Nearly all of the unemployed--99.9 percent--reported sleeping on an average day. On average, they dedicated 9.24 hours to that activity.

Really? I wonder if employed people sleep as well. Na, sleep is for lazy unemployed bastards.

edit on 9/9/2014 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 04:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Indigo5

Here is a link to the BLS site. It has charts and all that jazz.

BLS: ATUS

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247

Yep. I have been crawling through it. It measures how Americans spend their time relevant to work, how many hours, what days etc. BUT I don't see a field for "Unemployed" ...in contrast all the studies seem to be about the "employed".

Where the hell did CNS come up with these stats? Most times even half ass journalists link to the report or stats.

I suspect that this hack at CNS doesn't know what they are looking at..if they used the data at all.

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: sheepslayer247

Still digging and nothing about specifically how the unemployed spend their time.

The OP source appears to have conflated the stats...The ATUS data measures how people spend their time when not working/at work...NOT how the "Unemployed" spend their time.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join