It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA attempting to cover-up Nicaraguan meteorite strike?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I just noticed this blurb on the Space Weather website:

Reports are circulating of a meteorite strike in Nicaragua on Sunday, Sept. 7th. Because the timing coincides with the flyby of asteroid 2014 RC, some reporters have suggested a link. We are skeptical. The crater outside Managua looks more like it was dug by a backhoe than excavated by a high-energy meteoritic explosion. Also, no streak of light corresponding to a meteor was actually observed.

Link

In relation to this story:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Now I'm all for some healthy skepticism, I have and I'm sure most of you have been taken in by "hoaxes" before. But we also know much is covered up and lied about - and just the basic fact there is sooo much about the Universe that we just don't know yet.

It's one thing to be skeptical, but for Space weather to come out and say they think this was done by a backhoe?

I don't see any backhoe tracks........

One tree does look trampled on, but that could have been done by onlookers.......

Also, in the thread started by True American about it, you can see the army is there, wouldn't they notice that it was done by a backhoe?

Also, True American did notice some shallow seismicity that would be consistent with a small impact in that area.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

So what is NASA doing? Are we watching a disinformation attempt in real time?

This could have been faked, I would liked to have seen some scorch marks, but maybe such is thermodynamically inconsistent with such an event in such conditions. But I would also like to know why Space Weather is trying so hard to discredit this. Is it because such an event is inconsistent with their claims that such events are extremely rare?

edit on 8-9-2014 by PlanetXisHERE because: epiphany

edit on 8-9-2014 by PlanetXisHERE because: grammar, syntax and context

edit on 8-9-2014 by PlanetXisHERE because: anti-sockpuppet language

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Somebody playing with explosives.
If it were from space there would have been a fireball effect.

So NASA may not have been right but they are far from wrong either.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: PlanetXisHERE

well spaceweather is not NASA

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   

well if it was not it is interesting that it almost hit the airport.

Nicaraguan officials say a mysterious boom sound heard around the capital city was caused by a meteor that narrowly missed the airport.

“I was sitting on my porch and I saw nothing, then all of a sudden I heard a large blast. We thought it was a bomb because we felt an expansive wave,” said local resident Jorge Santamaria.

www.thedailybeast.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dolby_X

well spaceweather is not NASA

Isn't SpaceWeather done by Dr. Tony Phillips who works for NASA? The page is filled with links to NASA sites...

Dr. Tony Phillips is the production editor of Science@NASA, which means that he writes, proofs, edits, formats, and does whatever is necessary to keep the stories rolling. Science@NASA presents podcasts. Science@NASA stories range from astronomy and astrophysics, to living in space, to Earth science, to physical sciences and biology. From microscopic scale, to human scale, to astronomical scale, NASA science covers them all!

Link

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:05 PM
link   

yeah but Spaceweather is a personal project for the Dr. not a official Nasa one

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I think they're trying to cover it up because it might lead to the people discovering an even bigger one is coming along.

I know it hit near an airport but there was an air force base in the vicinity too. Chelyabinsk woke a lot of people up to the damage a meteor can cause.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:08 PM
link   
You are taking WAY out of context.

Dr. Phillips wrote:

The crater outside Managua looks more like it was dug by a backhoe than excavated by a high-energy meteoritic explosion.

He didn't say that it WAS dug by a backhoe, only that the crater looks like that to him.

He said he was skeptical. He didn't say that NASA officially denies that this was a meteor strike.

So if a science writer who keeps stories and information from NASA by running a website has an opinion, suddenly it's a conspiracy?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Is it because such an event is inconsistent with their claims that such events are extremely rare?

Well these events are extremely rare.....but they do happen, I can't see why NASA or Space Weather or anyone else for that matter would want to cover up an actual meteorite strike.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:19 PM
link   
They are saying it's fabricated. No one reported a fire ball. No NASA is not covering up. The event never happened. JESUS WEPT. reply to: PlanetXisHERE

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful
You are taking WAY out of context.

Dr. Phillips wrote:

The crater outside Managua looks more like it was dug by a backhoe than excavated by a high-energy meteoritic explosion.

He didn't say that it WAS dug by a backhoe, only that the crater looks like that to him.

He said he was skeptical. He didn't say that NASA officially denies that this was a meteor strike.

So if a science writer who keeps stories and information from NASA by running a website has an opinion, suddenly it's a conspiracy?

Well, I do appreciate Dr. Phillips attempts to educate the unwashed masses, and Space Weather is a very cool website.

I guess I just have a healthy skepticism for NASA, but I see what you are saying Eric in that this website, though unofficially associated with NASA, is not an official "spokesvehicle" for NASA.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Yeahkeepwatchingme

Why would a supposed cover up hide a bigger asteroid? That doesn't even make a little sense. There's no burn mark on that hole. It's a fraud. A hoax. But hey it's NASA so of course you ahem...guys ....are out in force. Give me a break already will ya?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Argyll

Is it because such an event is inconsistent with their claims that such events are extremely rare?

Well these events are extremely rare.....but they do happen, I can't see why NASA or Space Weather or anyone else for that matter would want to cover up an actual meteorite strike.

I don't know, why does any institution or organization cover-up anything? Do you think any cover-ups or conspiracies exist? If so provide some examples. Or do you believe everything the MSM and the government spoon feeds you?

Is it wrong to speculate about possible conspiracies or cover-ups on this website?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Right!

He doesn't speak FOR NASA. He, however, runs a website that reproduces information and stories from NASA (and other places too).

Now, do this: take a look at it from his point of view: Does it HAVE to be a meteorite?

Can what we see be reproduced without it being a meteorite? The same effects? (IE people hearing the boom, something recorded on a seismometer, etc).

TA will tell you that the data he watches will show people using explosives, so it is possible.

I don't think it was dug with a backhoe myself, but then I will agree that there could be other causes besides a meteorite.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

Why would a supposed cover up hide a bigger asteroid? That doesn't even make a little sense. There's no burn mark on that hole. It's a fraud. A hoax. But hey it's NASA so of course you ahem...guys ....are out in force. Give me a break already will ya?

Well as much as I hate to I think I agree that it is not a meteorite. It was odd that the videos show soldiers with metal detectors but they did not want to use them on camera, perhaps because if it went off on camera someone would ask to see the meteorite but it may be a missile fragment instead.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: AutumnWitch657

Does it surprise you to see threads about conspiracies on a conspiracy website? Do you think conspiracies exist?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: eriktheawful

Right!

He doesn't speak FOR NASA. He, however, runs a website that reproduces information and stories from NASA (and other places too).

Now, do this: take a look at it from his point of view: Does it HAVE to be a meteorite?

Can what we see be reproduced without it being a meteorite? The same effects? (IE people hearing the boom, something recorded on a seismometer, etc).

TA will tell you that the data he watches will show people using explosives, so it is possible.

I don't think it was dug with a backhoe myself, but then I will agree that there could be other causes besides a meteorite.

I'm definitely open to the possibility it wasn't a meteorite strike, as I mentioned above I would have liked to have seen some scorch marks, given that the surrounding vegetation is so dry, or have witnesses reported a fireball or streak (at least none have been heard from yet), and I realize TA's seismic data can pick up explosions of any kind, given that they are large enough.

I'm also open to the possibility that cover-ups are rife in our world.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:37 PM
link   
The heat from a meteor strike is intense for quite a distance from the impact zone.
Cover up for something else, why not use a sonic flyover as an excuse in that case?
Maybe someone was digging for the Dutch pirate Blewfeldt's buried treasure?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm going to agree with NASA on this one, it certainly doesn't look like a meteor-strike.

The foliage around the crater isn't even damaged...
edit on 8-9-2014 by gatorboi117 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   

All I can say is: To what end? What would be gained by "covering up" a meteor strike? Specially one as inconsequential as this one?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join