It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

sex makes you stupid?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: jhn7537
Beat me to it LOL.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Calculators to do our math.

Computers to do our work.

Governments to do our thinking.

Google to do our research.

Grocery stores to supply our food.

Shopping malls to supply our goods.

Tradesmen to build our homes.

Gardeners to maintain our lawns.

Doctors to mend our broken bodies.

Drugs to mend our broken minds.

Daycares to raise our kids.

Television to do our entertaining.

Video games to occupy our offspring.

Sex has nothing to do with brain depletion, modern day living does.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
That is why there are so many smart people on ATS.

They live in their mother's basements and have no girlfriends or have ever had sex.

See, what some people call losers are really the smarter ones...lol

posted on Sep, 9 2014 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
Sex has nothing to do with brain depletion.
condemnation before investigation?

"What's right is not always popular, and what's popular is not always right." Albert Einstein

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Heard this on the radio yesterday. Good example of how sexual behavior and attitudes are being conditioned.

edit on 19930Wed, 10 Sep 2014 00:19:26 -0500201426pAmerica/Chicago2014-09-10T00:19:26-05:0030 by introspectionist because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I guess I'm a stupid as can be and utterly pleased with myself for it.

Derrr.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I'm not saying I agree with the OP. But the original argument does have a certain amount of anecdotal corroboration, for claiming such a link, between hypersexuality and intellectual langour.

When I began studying in the sciences, we were still using slide rules. The Apollo missions made it to the moon, in an incredibly narrow window of safety, using slide rules. I know, because a group of my fellow physics students did all the math involved. Again, using slide rules. They were used to teach number sense. I still have that sense, without having used a slide rule in 30 years. The other day, a co-worker was thinking out loud, googling "What should be the volume of a 3 meter sphere. I said, "About a hundred and ten cubic meters." The whole room stood there and stared at me with their mouths open. They cannot even estimate the answers. One guy said, "no, it'd be like 50, 60 tops." Analog calculations kept us from making wild guesses. People with calculators cannot estimate.

My father (now nearly eighty) learned his "times tables" up to 25 x 25. I learned my tables up to about 20 x 20. My kids are learning theirs up to 12 x 12, but that's only because they attend a private school. The public school only teaches 10 x 10, if they teach "rote memorization" at all.

My father can still quote the entirety of the Bill of Rights and the Gettysburg Address. As well as all the major soliloquys of Shakespeare.

Someone said that memorization is a waste of time, and implied that it takes up memory. On the contrary, the Geniuses of the Renaissance (Late Middle Ages, to use the politically incorrect term), valued memorization because it teaches us how to organize our thoughts. Giordano Bruno was considered the mastermind of his age, and made a public performance of committing complex poems and number sequences to memory and then recalling them later, sometimes years afterwards. What we'd call a 'photographic memory.' He was also fluent in over a dozen languages. His most important work was believed at the time to be his work on memory...

Christians of a century ago memorized hundreds of Bible verses over the course of a lifetime, and a lay leader on the frontier would be expected to memorize one or more of the Epistles. An ordained minister would be expected to memorize one of the Gospels. In the original Greek. How many believers of today know the Bible that well? None, for all practical purposes. Christians, just like everyone else, have absorbed the modernist world-view that the past has been superseded by our achievements. A modern so-called Christian can barely recognize when scripture is being quoted, much less quote it themselves.

Likewise, when it comes to sex, the modern world assumes that sex is inevitable and that no healthy, well-adjusted person would refuse the change to make it. The Catholic church is seen as hopelessly irrelevant because it expects the religious to maintain a vow of abstinence.

Yet soldiers once universally rejected sex before combat, on the idea that it made men complacent and sluggish. Even today, the consensus has been that sexual activity lessens the potency of athletes as they compete. The fact that it is being challenged only now lends a bit more weight to the argument.

Again, not saying I agree, but it is pretty telling that everyone is so sure that there can be no possible connection. Usually, the public assumption turns out to be false.

If THEY really were trying to steal Our Pure Essence.... how would things look any different than they are right now?

Guard your essence.

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: tovenar
it is pretty telling that everyone is so sure that there can be no possible connection.
well, I am not impressed with this forum, let's leave it at that

(post by sumitraj removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)
(post by sumitraj removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join