It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Christmas Miracle - Seventy-nine percent of Americans believe in Virgin birth!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I've gotten a warning for a lot less than that, but that one was pretty blatant in its condemnation of a fairly large group of people.

As to the number of people polled, it is not so much how many are polled, but how those people are chosen.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Presumably the Moderator who gave LogansRun a nice little red tag for his comment - which contains a good amount of logic supported by many other members and a label for people of low reasoning ability that has often been used by particular Moderators and Super Moderators - is in the 79% category himself or herself, and a raw nerve was struck.
I hope LogansRun is not put off by acts of pettiness.

It was me that gave him a warn, can you explain the logic of calling ALL Christians Morons? By the way I don't believe in the virgin birth, the 6000 year old universe, Noah's Ark or the Easter bunny. But I also don't believe in a one sentence put down of about 1/3 of the world as an answer to another post. If he had said all wiccans were stupid or all blacks were lazy or all Muslims were terrorists yall would have been howling for his blood. But since he called all Christians morons its supposed to be OK? Isn't that kind of hypocritical?

Originally posted by LadyV
Ok..I see your point, wouldn't that be like giving Ed a warning for his thread title, "It's the economy stupid and it good" he's not calling anyone stupid....just generalizing....same thing isn't it?

Saying ALL Christians are morons is not generlizing its pointed stright at a segment of the population.

[edit on 7-12-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
As to the number of people polled, it is not so much how many are polled, but how those people are chosen.

That is exactly it. It would be interesting to see some specifics as to how this poll was conducted.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
Saying ALL Christians are morons is not generlizing its pointed stright at a segment of the population.

I don't know, Amuk. While I agree that statement was uncalled for, I'd sure consider calling all Christains morons to be quite an obvious generalization. It's a generalization of the mental capacity of Christians as a whole.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Originally posted by ANOK
The trouble with polls is they are rarely acurate and rarely reflect the true thoughts of the population. (the population thinks?..lol)

Nobody polled me.
Did you participate in this poll?
Who did they poll?

If you read the link ed provided you will see how misleading the poll is, not they did not call you or me but only hardly over 1000 people to said that is the seventy percent of the population.

I think ed just won the ATS top award on misleading threads.

congratulations ed.

Yeah i was too lazy to read the link.
I would say pretty much all polls are misleading.
I could go out today and ask 1000 ppl a question, then go out tomorrow and ask another 1000 ppl the same question. I'd get totaly diff results.
Am I stating the obvious?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by deevee
Looks like all those abstenance lectures for the schoolkids have paid off.

In other news 79% of American parents have a virgin daughter who gave birth.

Haha, thats a good one... "Oh, but, Sir. I did not have sex with that daughter of yours"...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:20 AM
link   
This number shows the ignorance of the Americans -- no fault of thier own. The Government has failed to educated it's people insofar as the difference between myth and fact.

Deep

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 02:52 AM
link   
And you, Edsinger swallow what the so-called liberal media puts out, hook, line and sinker.

Is anyone else beginning to doubt a LOT of the polling we see in Corporate owned media?

Could it be that intelligent people are being falsely convinced that they are surrounded by morons. Making intelligent people feel less empowered? I am getting more and more suspicious of all this supposed dumbing down of America.

Maybe the battle over hearts and minds in Iraq is not the one to be concerned with. Maybe it is the destruction of hearts and minds and hope right here in America, where corporations want people to feel depressed and needy. So they will think this product and that product will make everything great and to keep them addicted to all those legal drugs everyone is taking.

Does a pusher like anything more than a desperate junkie?

We may not be living in the Matrix, but there is some HEAVY-DUTY mind game playing going on and the stakes are money and political power.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Edsinger is not alone in his believes, the islamic fundamentalists are with him:

www.angelfire.com...

[edit on 7-12-2004 by Countermeasures]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime We have become so accustom to the fact that we are alive that we have forgotten that the essence of life is truly itself a miracle. I think most people chose not be believe in things greater than their human senses can interpret because to do anything else would also mean losing control over the illusion of reality that each person creates in their mind. In the end, we are all afraid of the truth.

Bravo

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by slank
Could it be that intelligent people are being falsely convinced that they are surrounded by morons. Making intelligent people feel less empowered? I am getting more and more suspicious of all this supposed dumbing down of America.

Maybe the battle over hearts and minds in Iraq is not the one to be concerned with. Maybe it is the destruction of hearts and minds and hope right here in America, where corporations want people to feel depressed and needy. So they will think this product and that product will make everything great and to keep them addicted to all those legal drugs everyone is taking.

Does a pusher like anything more than a desperate junkie?

Intelligence has been the hunted for the past five years, for a very simple reason: it brings out, into the antiseptic sunshine, the futility of basing actions on uncorroborated fear.
One of the biggest "fears" to be marketed is that "people of faith" are suffering an undue bias; that god himself is under attack and all "people of faith" must support the "rightous champion" of like mindedness.
The invasion of Iraq was an attack on America by those "leading" the country, as part of an overall war strategy.
This article furthers initiatives on one front of that campaign, while serving the duality of another religion: capitalism. They need people talking so that they can move units & have folks buy their periodical. Fundamentalists, by definition, do not have a diverse reading diet, so if they can be enticed towards that purchase, so much the better, no?
For a conspiracy site, it's still amazing to see that so many do not recognize the two greatest crowd control mechanisms, poverty & fear, being so broadly applied.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Without having read all the posts here, I want to throw in my two-cents' worth.

I firmly believe in the virgin birth, the death on the cross, and the Resurrection.

I do know that Jesus was NOT born on December 25. In fact, that's the birthday of Baal/Tammuz/whoever, who, BTW, was basically Satan's counterfeit of Christ. I do NOT observe Xmas because of its paganism. See Jeremiah 10:1-5.

Christ was born probably no later than mid-October. And there were more than three wise men. And they were not there along with the shepherds. The wise men appeared on the scene around two years later. Matthew 2:11--And when they were come into the HOUSE, they saw the YOUNG CHILD with Mary his mother, and fell down, and worshipped him: and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.

Luke 2:8-16 tells us that the shepherds went and saw the newborn Jesus. See, there's around a two-year time lag between the shepherds visiting Jesus, and the wise men arriving. So those nativity scenes are inaccurate. And why else would Herod have wanted children age two and under murdered?

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 10:36 AM
link   
Well, while it's true that the Book of Isaiah talks about the Messiah being born of a Virgin and the four "official" Gospels don't dig into it very much, the Virgin Birth was made a Dogma of Faith for the Catholic Church only in 1879 by pope Pius IX. It was the last Dogma to be declared by a poe and also the most controversial. The Pope, in its declaration, said that he made the Virgin Birth a Dogma to answer the many calls for it coming from all the corners of the world, but most of the "rational" and "atheistic" world (very strong at the end of the XIX century) laughed at it. What is a Dogma of Faith? I don't know how many of you are Catholics, or were raised in a Catholic family, but a Dogma is simply something a true Catholic is expected to believe in, without questioning. Most of the Dogmas were declared to end a long-standing theological struggle that even the brightest minds of their time (like William of Ockham, Albert Magnus and Tommaso d'Aquino) weren't able to explain or solve to everyone's agreement. The Virgin Birth is something different: the Catholic world (meaning the pious people and the low-ranking clergy) cared very little. As long as Jesus was recognized as son of God (and God himself) and Mary as his mother, nobody cared very much about the Virgin Birth, or else. But to the highest authorities it did matter...

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:22 AM
link   
......no doubt the next round of 'firmly held belief' ("believed with all my heart"......cos that makes it all perfectly ok then) might revolve around how many angels can dance on and around the head of a pin.

Sorry and all but these weird fundamentalist literal beliefs are not representitve of the 1/3rd of the world population or their said belief in 'Christianity'.

Talk about regressing back to ignorance....

.....and yes, the next stage is exactly about the refuting of science of physics regarding the age fo the earth, evolutionary change etc etc.

Never mind the 'liberal media' nonsense; the real threat to liberty and enlightenment is the growing fundamentalist 'Christian taliban' quietly working away on school boards and the various 'advisory committees' in the communities we all live in etc etc not some ludicrous myth of a wild eyed Ayatollah about to descend upon any of us.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 11:28 AM
link   
heck I belive in virgine birth and can prove .Its called artifical insamation. it used on sheep cows and even humans . so making a virgin humen get preggers and give birth is no problem and I dont even need to be a god to pull the trick off .
Ps the procedure is so easly done it has been in use for a copple hundred years now and would have been no problem for the people living thousands or years agaio. so mabby mary realy was a virgin .

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I saw that article on msn yesterday, and the first thing that came to my mind...........

GOOD!

Now christians can stop complaining like they are some sort of oppressed minority in this country. Or how when they rap about Jesus in a song....they won't make no ends....or how when they make a movie about him.......they are taking a big risk...

THAT IS ALL BULL KANYA JESUS CHRIST, I mean Kanye west. Oh, and thats bull for you to Mel Godson, I mean gibson......

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simcity4Rushour
heck I belive in virgine birth and can prove .Its called artifical insamation. it used on sheep cows and even humans . so making a virgin humen get preggers and give birth is no problem and I dont even need to be a god to pull the trick off .

You are confusing virgin birth with immaculate conception. It is possible for a woman who has not had intercourse and who has an intact hymen to become pregnant, if semen becomes mixed with her vaginal fluids and spermatazoa can make their way to the uterus. What Catholics believe, though I am not sure of all Christians, is that not only did Mary conceive without the benefit of spermatazoa, but that she remained a virgin after the birth of Jesus. I'm not sure what her condition was after the birth of Jesus' siblings.

I don't believe these things, because they are simply not important to the message of Jesus to the world. And I will say again, the left is exposing its extreme intolerance by its inablity to show respect for the religion of others, or for that matter any religion.

This is where the left really mystifies me. If athiests are really athietsts, then why does the religious expression of others offend them? What is there to offend? Why should it matter to athiests that people want to pray at school or sings Christmas carols? To the athiest, they're only songs.

There's no logic to it.

[edit on 04/12/7 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I know a lot of people that still believe that Santa is real.

Why are you laughing!?! Are you saying that he's not real???

Anywho, I simply don't believe this is true. Perhaps it is because I live in the heathen state of New Jersey, but I only know one actual person that buys into the bible let alone the virgin birth claim. I just don't believe that those polls are accurate.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Grady,

The left are not always atheists and atheists are not always the left.

posted on Dec, 7 2004 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Ok so only those who believe the Bible to be the written Word of God as spoken by the prophets believe in the Virgin birth.

The Virgin birth in the Bible is concrete because Joseph had misgivings for his standing in being with the woman with child and not having had intercourse. For the non-believers, it is a matter of them not believing the Holy Spirit caused the pregnancy and not through sex. It is called Divine.

So believe what you will, I personally DO believe in the Virgin birth, just as it was foretold much earlier.....

Atheists and whatnot can believe what they wish, they can believe we are the seed of aliens for all I care..

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join