It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billions of pounds wiped from value of Scottish firms after yes vote

page: 17
<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 11:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol
Scotland has 100 years worth of Oil left, Westminster's runs out on friday.

Apart from the bits in the southern parts of the oil fields you mean. Anyway: apology now please.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: theabsolutetruth

And yet Ireland has done quite well without being part of England anymore.

If a company leaves two will come in if the laws are made to encourage investment.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: edward777

It isn't comparable.

Things then are not as they are now, neither is Scotland's involvement in the union comparable to that of Ireland. There is far more to consider in contemporary politics and economics compared to those of the Victorian era.

The practical realities of the matter are such that it is not advisable for such a leap for Scotland, not now at least and probably not for a long time, in fact it is probably in Scotland's interest in remaining part of the union, especially given the global infrastructure and dependency.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
a reply to: edward777

The practical realities of the matter are such that it is not advisable for such a leap for Scotland, not now at least and probably not for a long time, in fact it is probably in Scotland's interest in remaining part of the union, especially given the global infrastructure and dependency.

To quote Elvis, it's now or never...
How many food banks do we need for us to say..enough is enough. We, the People never caused this mess, but we sure as hell are paying for it. Westminster cut the poorest in this countries income with their Austerity measures while in the same breath cut the taxes on the super rich...you really couldn't make it up.
edit on 15-9-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Soloprotocol
So you don't actually know anything then.
I know I don't support my country's central bank acting as lender of last resort for a foreign nation. I know that the 3 main political parties of the UK have stated on the record that they don't support it either.
....but you know that the UK will act as lender of last resort for an independent foreign Scotland, and you know that failure to do so will result in doom for the remaining UK if we refuse?
Sorry, but I am not convinced by your personal/unsubstantiated assertions.

It's about trust...Trust me, if Scotland goes Independent these things will come to pass.
Call me Nostrasolo. i know stuff.

That the best you got to a serious question about expecting my country to act as lender of last resort for a foreign nation. No mature debate then? No evidence to back your claims up? Just 'I know stuff'?
I shall have to assume BS then as believing some stranger on t'internet about international politics without any source to back it up is, well...ridiculous.
I am glad others will see that you have nothing to present in support of your claims.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:47 PM
link   

I know I don't support my country's central bank acting as lender of last resort for a foreign nation. I know that the 3 main political parties of the UK have stated on the record that they don't support it either.
....but you know that the UK will act as lender of last resort for an independent foreign Scotland, and you know that failure to do so will result in doom for the remaining UK if we refuse?

It's about trust...Trust me, if Scotland goes Independent these things will come to pass.

That the best you got to a serious question about expecting my country to act as lender of last resort for a foreign nation. No mature debate then? No evidence to back your claims up? Just 'I know stuff'?
I shall have to assume BS then as believing some stranger on t'internet about international politics without any source to back it up is, well...ridiculous.
I am glad others will see that you have nothing to present in support of your claims.

As a Business man, After a Independent vote, i being a Scot based in Scotland want to do business with you to the tune of say £100,000...What will you do. ?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

How many food banks do we need for us to say..enough is enough.

The Scottish government have had the power to raise income tax by up to 3 pence in the pound for years and have never used that income raising power to help the disadvantaged in it's society.
Why is that? Political reasons of course, but Scotland HAS had the opportunity to 'help the poor' for along time now with income tax legislation, you know, the higher rate payers, or people earning over X amount...never done it, so bleating about your problems when your government has declined to use tax raising powers is lame, and you know it.

...why do Scots never mention that in the debates while bleating that they have no way control over their finances?
Because it is the fault of Scottish politicians alone.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:51 PM
link   

How is it YOUR Country that would be the lender of last resort...The BOE is not your Country.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:53 PM
link   
No, I'm not answering another silly sidetrack question.
Answer mine first please, don't ignore it, how exactly do you know that the UK will agree to being lender of last resort for a foreign Scotland as you claimed earlier?
Got anything to back it up or is 'I know stuff' all you've got?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
My country is in control of the Bank of England, do you not even understand that. It is the central bank of my country, not an independent Scotland, stop ignoring my questions, I know you are like a dog with a bone when people ignore or sidetrack yours, so I expect the same.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:01 PM
link   

How many food banks do we need for us to say..enough is enough.

The Scottish government have had the power to raise income tax by up to 3 pence in the pound for years and have never used that income raising power to help the disadvantaged in it's society.

Oh the Old "Here's 30 bob if you want more you will need to tax your family" Financial carrot... We dont want SOME powers, we want ALL the powers that a Independent nation should have.

You Know what, Westminster could have played this game so much more differently. but they have done their usual..devious backhanded double dealings... Will they ever learn?...
On Friday they might just need to have a serious look at how they conduct themselves in the future. I thought England used terms like "it's not Cricket old boy" and "Fair play"...it certainly has not been Cricket nor Fair Play.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:07 PM
link   
So, are you going to answer my question from a couple of pages (and a few requests) back when you asserted you know that the UK will agree to it's central bank acting as lender of last resort for a foreign nation, yes or no?
'I know stuff' is not adequate, so either share your sources/knowledge, or admit you made it up, I'm easy either way.

*Edit*
Oh, and 'tax your family' is a silly emotional spin to a serious question. The Scottish government could have raised taxes for it's own rich folk for years and helped the poor you are whinging about now. They chose not to for political reasons.

edit on 15-9-2014 by grainofsand because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:16 PM
link   

So, are you going to answer my question from a couple of pages (and a few requests) back

I have already answered this question several times to several other members both here and on the other Independence threads...Maybe you missed it.
Go Look.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Nope, you don't get away that easily.
You made a specific assertion in reply to one of my posts in this thread that you know the UK will act as lender of last resort for an independent Scotland. That started a dialogue between us about the specific issue. I stated that I do not want my country to ever act as lender of last resort for a foreign nation. I also stated that all 3 main political parties in the UK shared the same stance.

You said 'I know stuff' to support your assertions that the UK will concede to an independent Scotland, and that it would be financial suicide not to, but now refuse to share your source of 'knowledge'? You started this particular dialogue by refuting what I had said with your assertions. If your information is so easily available then just throw me a link as you were so passionate refuting my statements...or risk losing credibility as someone worth chasing mature debate with.

*Edit*
If it's just that you believe the UK will agree to being lender of last resort then cool, we can debate why I don't believe we will.
You stated faith as fact...you will of course imagine from my signature line that I will question it every time, but I'll be quick to ignore it and move on if you concede that it is your belief, and not fact.
edit on 15-9-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Believe it or not people South of Hadrian's Wall don't always go about using cricket metaphors. As a Welshman I don't have a miner's helmet and a garden full of leeks, people from Yorkshire don't all have a flat cap and a whippet, Irish people aren't congenitally stupid and people who work in the City of London don't wear bowler hats.

Now: stop dodging and avoiding. Apology. Now.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Oh and we have some new, UK-wide poll numbers.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Praying for Scotland's Independence.

And whereas thou sawest iron mixed with miry clay, they shall mingle themselves with the seed of men:
but they shall not cleave one to another, even as iron is not mixed with clay.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:15 PM
link   

You don't have a clue about oil. You don't have a clue about the whereabouts, how to locate it, the extraction, the logistics or the selling. Tell us all something about oil, before you begin this fantasy all over again that oil alone will float our economy for '100 years" .. And for arguments sake, is 100 years a long time in your opinion? To sustain a country .. Do you understand where I am coming from?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Oh and did you happen to read my post earlier about how the SNP 'guess-timated' the boe and subsequent revenues?

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: angryhulk

You don't have a clue about oil. You don't have a clue about the whereabouts, how to locate it, the extraction, the logistics or the selling. Tell us all something about oil, before you begin this fantasy all over again that oil alone will float our economy for '100 years" .. And for arguments sake, is 100 years a long time in your opinion? To sustain a country .. Do you understand where I am coming from?

I suspect that he has his facts from a Mr Salmond. Has he apologised to you yet for accusing you of being a sock puppet of me, or vice versa or whatever the hell he was on about?

top topics

<< 14  15  16    18 >>

join