It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Billions of pounds wiped from value of Scottish firms after yes vote

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: midicon
I listened to the debates, looked around on google, perhaps you should try that. There are anything from zero to a trillion barrels left. Smashing...

"perhaps you should try that" ... probably the most ridiculous thing you have said yet, and you know it. I think given the discussion we've had it's pretty evident I do, and you don't. You just sound like one of those guys that entertain these forums and try to be some sort of silent expert in every field, using Google at every opportunity. I asked you a question regarding oil by the way can you answer that? No wait, you can't because you don't know anything about oil. Do you know what the SNP used in their estimations for calculating boe's and subsequent revenues? P50! Yes you heard that right, not P90... but P50!

Zero to a trillion barrels? What are you talking about now I don't know if I can even take you seriously.
edit on 14/9/14 by angryhulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Soloprotocol

originally posted by: grainofsand
a reply to: Soloprotocol

I'll counter:
Do you believe you will have a say on the matter.? Do you believe that Holyrood will put the question of a shared currency in the form of a referendum for the public to decide.?

We wont need to, Westminster will agree to it. it's a Bluff tactic to sway voters up here. It would be financial suicide for Westminster and rUK not to allow Scotland to have a shared currency....for a few years anyway.

Who knows what will happen in ten years time...Remember Ireland used the pound for 6/7 years after independence because it suited both parties at the time and given the financial climate i dont see Westminster rocking the boat any time soon as far as financial stability goes.

Ireland was a rather unique situation. I wouldn't count on it happening again. And stating that it's a bluff is something of a guess on your part. All three major party leaders have said that a shared currency ain't happening. Why should it?

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Westminster will agree to it. it's a Bluff tactic to sway voters up here. It would be financial suicide for Westminster and rUK not to allow Scotland to have a shared currency....for a few years anyway.

...and using your same tactics in this thread, how do you know this? Did Alex Salmond tell you that?

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:46 PM
link   

We wont need to, Westminster will agree to it. it's a Bluff tactic to sway voters up here. It would be financial suicide for Westminster and rUK not to allow Scotland to have a shared currency....for a few years anyway.

You're talking about using a foreign currency as though it's a good thing. Why would you want a foreign country controlling you're currency, while at the same time trying to tell the population you are 'independent'?

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: angryhulk

I don't know anything about oil. If I look at various forecasts they can be very different. There was a story about a trillion but I see that as tongue in cheek. I am not an expert in anything but going by what you have said you know much more than me. I answer you honestly. I don't care in particular about the SNP's estimations but there are enough sites supporting the idea that there is enough to sustain us.

I would rather be ridiculous than angry.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:02 PM
link   
a reply to: midicon

Finally an honest and reasonable answer, thank you. Please note though, oil alone will not float our economy.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: midicon

I don't know anything about oil. If I look at various forecasts they can be very different. There was a story about a trillion but I see that as tongue in cheek. I am not an expert in anything but going by what you have said you know much more than me. I answer you honestly. I don't care in particular about the SNP's estimations but there are enough sites supporting the idea that there is enough to sustain us.

I would rather be ridiculous than angry.

The problem is where it's based. The deeper the water where it is, the harsher the weather (I wouldn't want to live on the Outer Hebrides in the winter), the worse the storms, the harder it is to access and the more expensive it is to exploit. Don't forget that for the oil companies it's a question of economics. If it's too expensive to exploit then the oil companies won't drill. Simple as that.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Westminster will agree to it. it's a Bluff tactic to sway voters up here. It would be financial suicide for Westminster and rUK not to allow Scotland to have a shared currency....for a few years anyway.

...and using your same tactics in this thread, how do you know this? Did Alex Salmond tell you that?

No Gideon told us...or he told a small select party up here that we couldn't use the pound.

i'll take that as fact we can and will do with or without Westminster's permission. Do you trust a guy with a degree in History to advise anyone on financial matters.
Have a look at Alex Salmond's, John Swinney's V's Gideon Osbournes qualifications and tell me who would you trust with the house finances.

edit on 14-9-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Have a look at Alex Salmond's, John Swinney's V's Gideon Osbournes qualifications and tell me who would you trust with the house finances.

I told you earlier, Alex Salmond's office was a stones throw away from my house and I wouldn't trust him to wipe his own arse.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Why would you want a foreign country controlling you're currency, while at the same time trying to tell the population you are 'independent'?

I've asked exactly the same question on several occasions.
Being dependent on a currency that you have no influence or control over wouldn't be my idea of independence.

It would be political suicide for any political party in rUK to agree to even a temporary currency union.

I'm amazed at people who demonise Westminster as an amoral, corrupt and self-serving institution, (something I tend to agree with but that's another discussion), then expect that in the event of a 'Yes' vote this institution will roll over and agree to all of Scotland's requests and demands.
Just as Scotland will try to get the best possible deal for Scotland those negotiating for rUK will be putting rUK's interest first and foremost, it would be incredibly negligent of them not to.

edit on 14/9/14 by Freeborn because: grammar and clarity

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:08 PM
link   

No Gideon told us...or he told a small select party up here that we couldn't use the pound.

i'll take that as fact we can and will do with or without Westminster's permission. Do you trust a guy with a degree in History to advise anyone on financial matters.

Once again: there is no guarantee that an independent Scotland can use the pound. And Scotland would have NO control at all over the pound. No control over the interest rates, no control over fiscal policy, no control period.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 02:13 PM
link   
So you don't actually know anything then.
I know I don't support my country's central bank acting as lender of last resort for a foreign nation. I know that the 3 main political parties of the UK have stated on the record that they don't support it either.
....but you know that the UK will act as lender of last resort for an independent foreign Scotland, and you know that failure to do so will result in doom for the remaining UK if we refuse?
Sorry, but I am not convinced by your personal/unsubstantiated assertions.
edit on 14-9-2014 by grainofsand because: Typo

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 06:44 PM
link   

a reply to: eletheia
Already answered Christmaspig if you care to look.

Do a bit of research on why Scotland can be a very wealthy country indeed instead of listening to the Biased Broadcasting corporation and it's cronies.

Not been listening to the Biased Broadcasting co. or its cronies..... been

reading .... an article by a Scotsman John Reid (former secretary of

state for Scotland) its a fairly long article so I have just picked out a few

pertinent points. >>>>

"WHY DESTROY A UNITED NATION ?"
Strength, security and stability come with being in the UK

This referendum has qualities that are like an election, but this is not like

a normal election. If we vote to leave the UK, it will be forever, irreversible.

There will be no changing our minds in four years if it turns out the promises

made by the leader of a political party cannot or will not be kept.

That is why it is no time for a protest vote. It is not a time to gamble. This is

not a lottery. There will not be another chance. The decision we take on

Thursday is not just for ourselves, it is for our children, for our grand children

and for generations to come.

The nationalists have not answered the fundamental questions they cannot,

or will not tell us what currency we would use in the event of

separation. Currency matters, It effects what our wages are worth, how

much our mortgages/rents cost, what our credit cards and shopping bills

cost. It effects how we fund our pensions, how we fund our public

services, our schools, hospitals and police. We cannot put that at risk.

We have 300 years of shared history. We built the NHS, fought fascism

and established our welfare state together. That is something to be

proud of. That is the UK I am proud of.

This is in stark contrast to the politics of division and grievance sown

by the nationalists, they want to define us by our differences.

The nationalists do not want to admit that they have run their

campaign like a parody of Monty Python. It would be amusing if the

consequences of their actions were not so grave. Their plans for

currency would mean huge austerity for our public services and cost

thousands of jobs in Scotland. The events of last week made that

clear: the pound falling to its lowest level in 10 months and billions

wiped off the value of Scottish firms as the cost of separation dawned

on the financial markets.

People the world over look at the SNP's plans and are horrified. They

see a party willing to put at risk our economy and our people because

it is blinded by its burning political ambitions. It is risking the wellbeing

of our people by lying about the NHS, misleading our most vulnerable by

preying on their fears.

More than 300 years of shared union, of working in partnership, of working

together teaches us that we do not have to be a separate nation to be a

better nation.

# Full article in Sunday Express 14. 09. 2014

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: eletheia

a reply to: eletheia
Already answered Christmaspig if you care to look.

Do a bit of research on why Scotland can be a very wealthy country indeed instead of listening to the Biased Broadcasting corporation and it's cronies.

Not been listening to the Biased Broadcasting co. or its cronies..... been

reading .... an article by a Scotsman John Reid (former secretary of

state for Scotland)

Did you know MI5 or whoever found a lump of Marijuana in his house in Shotts whilst doing a security scan...I know this because my mate Dropped it.

I could go Deeper with stories of Mr Reid and his Family...but i wont.
edit on 14-9-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:16 PM
link   

So you don't actually know anything then.
I know I don't support my country's central bank acting as lender of last resort for a foreign nation. I know that the 3 main political parties of the UK have stated on the record that they don't support it either.
....but you know that the UK will act as lender of last resort for an independent foreign Scotland, and you know that failure to do so will result in doom for the remaining UK if we refuse?
Sorry, but I am not convinced by your personal/unsubstantiated assertions.

It's about trust...Trust me, if Scotland goes Independent these things will come to pass.
Call me Nostrasolo. i know stuff.

posted on Sep, 14 2014 @ 07:33 PM
link   

If you're going to insult my intelligence at least use spell check please.

Yes you answered my questions, but as I stated you answered with Scotland is full of smart people I'm sure we'll muddle through. Victory shall be ours. Because we are the mighty Scottish. Pretty much. You did not answer how you expect to economically sustain yourselves during the massive upheaval that will take place. When you no longer have a currency, when hundreds of jobs are lost due to companies withdrawing from your country, and even the loss of contracts that are with the UK, not England, not Scotland, the UK! Which you will no longer be part of. These companies will not suddenly decide to back out of these contracts, at their expense, simply to draw up new ones with a newly independent country, freshly born with a hell of a lot of work to do before they can even think of bartering for contracts. When you have no fail safe, no one to fall back on, when your government turns out to be just as corrupt as any other government. When all these academics and institutions you have turn out to be half foreigners and foreign investment that suddenly moves back home or gets withdrawn due to the instability of your economy.
You didn't answer why you think your government will be any better than the UK government.
Yes you will survive, but at what cost?

So don't belittle my intelligence or suggest I don't understand your inane ramblings because I understand perfectly. You are not interested in a different view point. You have made up your mind, probably at the first whiff of an independence vote. All you do is shoot down people's claims, theories and ideas, even facts, saying it is nothing more than lies, propaganda and the government trying to screw you again.
I don't need your approval, I don't need your respect, I don't honestly want anything to do with someone who is so closed minded that they fail to look at the bigger picture, instead thinking of personal immediate glory and throwing two fingers up at the future.

As I said before. I'm done. There is no point arguing with someone who resorts to insults because they can't come up with relevant and justifiable responses to others questions.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: christmaspig

If you're going to insult my intelligence at least use spell check please.

Yes you answered my questions, but as I stated you answered with Scotland is full of smart people I'm sure we'll muddle through. Victory shall be ours. Because we are the mighty Scottish. Pretty much. You did not answer how you expect to economically sustain yourselves during the massive upheaval that will take place. When you no longer have a currency, when hundreds of jobs are lost due to companies withdrawing from your country, and even the loss of contracts that are with the UK, not England, not Scotland, the UK! Which you will no longer be part of. These companies will not suddenly decide to back out of these contracts, at their expense, simply to draw up new ones with a newly independent country, freshly born with a hell of a lot of work to do before they can even think of bartering for contracts. When you have no fail safe, no one to fall back on, when your government turns out to be just as corrupt as any other government. When all these academics and institutions you have turn out to be half foreigners and foreign investment that suddenly moves back home or gets withdrawn due to the instability of your economy.
You didn't answer why you think your government will be any better than the UK government.
Yes you will survive, but at what cost?

So don't belittle my intelligence or suggest I don't understand your inane ramblings because I understand perfectly. You are not interested in a different view point. You have made up your mind, probably at the first whiff of an independence vote. All you do is shoot down people's claims, theories and ideas, even facts, saying it is nothing more than lies, propaganda and the government trying to screw you again.
I don't need your approval, I don't need your respect, I don't honestly want anything to do with someone who is so closed minded that they fail to look at the bigger picture, instead thinking of personal immediate glory and throwing two fingers up at the future.

As I said before. I'm done. There is no point arguing with someone who resorts to insults because they can't come up with relevant and justifiable responses to others questions.

Could you point out to me where i replied to you and insulted you..cause i dont see it.

For every company that withdraws it's business from Scotland another will take it's place. They are here for a reason. They make Money.... How you come to the conclusion that Businesses will all of a sudden up sticks and leave is well....ludicrous to say the least.

Also please point out my spelling mistakes...other than the odd typo i dont usually make them.

I'll answer your question why i think my Government will be Better than what has been served up in the past....No More Illegal Wars, No more cover ups on Paedophilia inside Government, no house of Lords to fund, no more expenses submitted for moat cleaning, no more serial second and third home flippers. All at yours and my expense. etc, etc, etc...the list is a mile long.
...are these good enough answers for you.

Also, Show me one FACT i have shot down...please...Just one.
edit on 15-9-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 02:57 AM
link   
The Queen has also suggested support for a 'no' vote.

www.telegraph.co.uk...< br />

Queen warns Scots to think 'very carefully' about referendum vote
The monarch breaks her silence on Scottish independence four days before voters go to the polls, with her comments interpreted as support for a No vote.

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:07 AM
link   

originally posted by: theabsolutetruth
The Queen has also suggested support for a 'no' vote.

www.telegraph.co.uk...< br />

Queen warns Scots to think 'very carefully' about referendum vote
The monarch breaks her silence on Scottish independence four days before voters go to the polls, with her comments interpreted as support for a No vote.

Oh no...Not Queenie as well. what do we do now...that's it...I'm voting No....

posted on Sep, 15 2014 @ 03:10 AM
link   

think “very carefully about the future”

I have said the very same thing to my Parents and Children....Does that make me a Supporter of a No Vote?

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join