It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Meteorite' smashes into Nicaraguan capital

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TrueAmerican

Something I've noted with all these fly bys of meteors, the latest being RC2014 (AKA Pitbull), which was only spotted a week or 2 back, there's always the chance that other pieces or even other meteors can sneak through the net and actually hit, whether or not this was it, I'm sure it will be confirmed but if it was, then it was not expected to hit.

The Chelyabinsk meteor proved that detection of these celestial objects is certainly not what it should be and dare I say it, it's a matter of time before we get hit again, history proves it.

EDIT: RC2014 was estimated to be around 20 metres (60 feet) and supposed to pass around 25,000 miles (40,000km) past the earth. Certainly, detection and flight path of these things is by far an exact science.
edit on 7-9-2014 by Zcustosmorum because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

The Chelyabinsk meteor proved that detection of these celestial objects is certainly not what it should be and dare I say it, it's a matter of time before we bet hit again, history proves it.

Well, yes. We will be.
But I would argue that it is pretty amazing that such a tiny object could be detected at the distance it was.

Certainly, detection and flight path of these things is by far an exact science.
Detection of tiny objects is problematic. Determining their orbits can be done with high accuracy as more observations are accumulated.

edit on 9/7/2014 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Nice crater. God's angry.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:56 PM
link   

And btw, this is probably the first and only place on the web you will see that pic. So copyright rules apply, and permission is not granted by me to use that pic anywhere else. ATS only.

So, did you get it from somewhere else? I am not too sure you can copyright an image, that you did not create? Did you create it? On topic: It seems that the last 3-4 close passing near earth objects, have been accompanied by meteors as well. I believe it is connected with this event over the weekend. Phage, do you know which happened first, the fly by or this meteorite?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

The Chelyabinsk meteor proved that detection of these celestial objects is certainly not what it should be and dare I say it, it's a matter of time before we bet hit again, history proves it.

Well, yes. We will be.
But I would argue that it is pretty amazing that such a tiny object could be detected at the distance it was.

No doubt and science will continue to get better, however we are extremely far off the point of actually stopping them, particularly a very big one.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:57 PM
link   
a reply to: thesmokingman
The asteroid was beyond the orbit of the Moon when the meteorite struck.
There is no reason to think they are connected.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Can't stop a little one either. But there is a chance of getting out of the way of a little one, given enough warning.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:58 PM
link   
This is all I could find, it appears that it was supposed to happen today.neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:01 PM
link   

The asteroid was beyond the orbit of the Moon when the meteorite struck.
There is no reason to think they are connected.

So like you had said earlier, gravity does not attract everything, could this be a wayward piece of the debris field? I mean, can we REALLY discount it completely? Do you by chance know the time this near earth asteroid was at its closest to earth, juxtaposed to the crashing of the meteorite? Just curious, cannot find a said time.
edit on 7-9-2014 by thesmokingman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Where did this notion of a "debris field" come from? We are in a debris field. We are struck by meteorites on an on going basis. Because most of the surface of the Earth has no one on it, we just don't know about it.

I maen, can we REALLY discount it completely?
There isn't much that we can discount "completely" about anything. There isn't much reason to think they are connected.

2014 CR was more than 275,000 miles away when the meteorite hit. Close approach was about 12 hours later.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Where did this notion of a "debris field" come from? We are in a debris field. We are struck by meteorites on an on going basis. Because most of the surface of the Earth has no one on it, we just don't know about it.

I maen, can we REALLY discount it completely?
There isn't much that we can discount "completely" about anything. There isn't much reason to think they are connected.

2014 CR was more than 275,000 miles away when the meteorite hit. Close approach was about 12 hours later.

The debris field of the asteroid obviously. So, are you saying that this asteroid did NOT have its own debris field? Surely you are not.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:19 PM
link   

I'm saying there is no reason to think it did or that the meteorite had anything to do with the asteroid. Why think that a very tiny object which hit Earth was related to another tiny object which was, at the time, farther from Earth than the moon is?

Why would an asteroid have a "debris field". Other than in a movie, I mean.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Easy. If created from an asteroid collision with another asteroid, a debris field will result. And some of that debris will scatter in similar, but slightly different directions. It's possible that one piece of small debris from that collision could have scattered in a similar direction, and at a similar speed, resulting in the main asteroid missing us- but the fragment- hitting us. And that perhaps should be something we should keep in mind whenever any asteroid gets close to this planet.

and btw smokingman, yes I created that image.
edit on Sun Sep 7th 2014 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: TrueAmerican

Easy. If created from an asteroid collision with another asteroid, a debris field will result. And some of that debris will scatter in similar, but slightly different directions. It's possible that one piece of small debris from that collision could have scattered in a similar direction, and at a similar speed, resulting in the main asteroid missing us- but the fragment- hitting us. And that perhaps should be something we should keep in mind whenever any asteroid gets close to this planet.

and btw smokingman, yes I created that image.

Thanks for explaining that to phage TA. And ok, I was just curious. That is some very good work! Thank you for that!!

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Easy. If created from an asteroid collision with another asteroid, a debris field will result.
How recent was this collision? Pertubations caused by the planets would cause a "debris field" to disperse relatively quickly. In the case of 2014 CR, very quickly since it follows an orbit which takes it fairly near Jupiter and crosses the orbits of Earth and Mars every three years.

So, ok. If there were a collision (a rarity) and if it was fairly recent and if a "debris cloud" were created it is possible that the meteorite is a piece the asteroid, traveling with it and somehow getting 275,000 miles ahead of it.

Like I said, it can't be ruled out completely (until and if the orbit of the meteorite can be determined) but there isn't a lot of reason to think it's the case.

And that perhaps should be something we should keep in mind whenever any asteroid gets close to this planet.
Yes. Everyone should stay indoors for 12 hours before and after close approach. Good idea.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Yes. Everyone should stay indoors for 12 hours before and after close approach. Good idea.

Well actually, that's your idea, not mine. And not that good an idea- unless perhaps you mean a subterranean bomb shelter. Look at the size of that crater, Phage. If that was a typical house- there wouldn't have been much left. And that's with such a small fragment. Anything even slightly bigger, and forget it. Yer toast.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:58 PM
link   

A really effective karma catcher indeed. Something that struck me was the similarity in appearance to small lunar craters.
Like this one on the left slope of "Little West". I know, a hole in the ground is a hole in the ground. But still.
history.nasa.gov...

But if that isn't what you meant, what did you mean by this?

And that perhaps should be something we should keep in mind whenever any asteroid gets close to this planet.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Will it be possible to actually determine the orbital parameters of this little space rock?

One reason they were able to determine the orbit and origin of the Chelyabinsk meteor was because there was so many videos available that were taken from different locations.

Dex

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   
a reply to: Soloprotocol

Did you happen to find the ones you claim struck you? I'm a amateur rock hound.. looked for years for a meteor to no avail.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:06 PM
link   

But if that isn't what you meant, what did you mean by this?

I said we should keep it in mind, that the possibility exists that the main asteroid we see on close approach may not necessarily be the ONLY thing coming close, with it. I didn't say for everyone to go crowding into their basements. What's the point? A hole in the ground is yes indeed a hole in the ground. Yer done if it hits you, or your car, or your house. The end. Kaput. Fried. Steamed. Toasted. Splattered. Spaghetti.

No can hide, unless you got access to a very deep, very strong nuclear bunker, perhaps.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join