It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Des needs help with new toy.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:22 PM
link   
Hello...I have a new toy. A Marlin .22 LR (semi automatic) TBD with scope. No case yet, but a friend gave me a sock for it. How the heck does one stretch the sock to fit over the scope, I don't want to take off.

I'm sure someone must have a tip for sock stretching. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Des

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:28 PM
link   
a reply to: Destinyone

Sorry, but any gun sock that I have owned would not fit over a scoped rifle.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Could you not burn a cut in it pop the scope through and use an actual separate sock for the scope? perhaps?

edit on b3030654 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Des that is a great little varmint gun and if the scope is any good at all you will be hitting what you want to in no time !
I have never used a sock cover but I have taken long fabric and like a barber poll wrapped some guns when they would be in storage; stretching, I have no idea .. An aluminum case is less than $50 and if you want plastic they can be had for less than $35.. Used cases are less than that..

edit on 7-9-2014 by 727Sky because: ..

link   

originally posted by: butcherguy

Oh come on Butcher...where there's a will there's a way. I am looking at some PVC pipe I have that I store ocean fishing rods in. And a huge commercial wooden rolling pin. I was hoping not to have to take the scope off until I get a hard case for it.

Des

link   

edit on 7-9-2014 by SyxPak because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Is that a model 60?

Use the iron sights! That gun is accurate!

Seriously, take the scope off. My ole lady nails Rabbits at 100 yards with that gun. Everyone should own one!

No recoil, accurate and not pricey. Love those little bastards.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Well Des you have a real gun condom conundrum there. Unless you're willing to pull out theSinger and sew a zipper into the end of the sock or use some velcro I think you're out of luck.
edit on 9/7/2014 by Kukri because: spelling

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Th "socks" are infused with a silicone to help keep the guns from rusting. I WOULD NOT wet it down and try to stretch it out around the scope.

I have some older socks that seem to stretch more than newer ones do but if it won't fit it won't fit.

Buy a cheap case, the sock don't protect the rifle from drops and banging it around. Till you can afford a case wrap it in a bath towel or bed sheet (ask the wife first...lol)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Kukri
Well Des you have a real gun condom conundrum there. Unless you're willing to pull out theSinger and sew a zipper into the end of the sock or use some velcro I think you're out of luck.

Couple of safety pins would hold it just fine

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:46 PM
link   
a reply to: mwood

Ok then thanx for shooting that sugg down! (Pun intended! LOL) I mean that in a positive way though. I haven't used the socks so didn't know...... Syx.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

I was hoping not to have to take the scope off until I get a hard case for it.

Thats your best, very best option. A soft case will do, too.

Is that the sock in your OP? That looks more like a leotard. Which gives me an idea…

Buy a case.

Also, the magazine tube on that is removable, I think. Don't set it in the dirt when you are reloading. And don't forget where you put it, either.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Oh Des,

All kinds of dirty thoughts popped into my head. But you don't need any kind of special sock or bag.

Any case bag or what ER Wil do just fine.

Your local humidity is all that really matters. Just take it out and work the action often and you should have no issues.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky

Des that is a great little varmint gun and if the scope is any good at all you will be hitting what you want to in no time !
I have never used a sock cover but I have taken long fabric and like a barber poll wrapped some guns when they would be in storage; stretching, I have no idea .. An aluminum case is less than $50 and if you want plastic they can be had for less than $35.. Used cases are for than that..

That's what I got it for Sky...muskrats are messing with my pond. Since many here say a sock cover stretching is kind of a lost hope. Is it OK to store it in the same case I have for my Mossberg until I make it to a place to buy a case for the Marlin? It's kind of a tight squeeze, and stored upright.

ETA: Simmons scope

Des

edit on 7-9-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Destinyone

originally posted by: butcherguy

Oh come on Butcher...where there's a will there's a way. I am looking at some PVC pipe I have that I store ocean fishing rods in. And a huge commercial wooden rolling pin. I was hoping not to have to take the scope off until I get a hard case for it.

Des

Ok.
Until you lay your hands on a proper case, take a pair of large pantyhose or tights,turn one leg inside out and spray it with silicone gun lube. Turn it right side out again and slip your new toy into that leg. Then tie a loose knot in the other leg and waist to secure the toy inside.
How does that sound?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Biigs

originally posted by: Kukri

Couple of safety pins would hold it just fine
g

Good point Biigs! There I go over-engineering simple fixes again.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:55 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

That is my concern WIB...very humid where I live. Trying to keep it dry. The stock has been hand sanded by the previous owner...not sealed. What should I oil it with.

Des

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Definitely pop a few silica gel packs in the sock with it.

For the whole safe, you are going to want a very big box of the stuff to be effective.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Hellas

Thanks Hellas. That sounds like a very effective way to deal with moisture case or not. Thanks...

Des

top topics

<<   2 >>

join