It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tarot, believers and non-believers, what is your take?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Hi 1Q. I agree with you on getting to know the cards. I knew one tarot card practitioner who suggested turning up one card every morning and seeing how the day went.

Btw , I think you may have just revealed the secret of winning at cards.

edit on 27-9-2014 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: crowdedskies

Sshhh.

And I teresting technique I like it.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Thanks for your input!

That's interesting, I have actually slept with my deck under the pillow a couple times.
I remember reading somewhere that sleeping with a book under the pillow, helps to better understand it, I guess it could be applied to cards or other things.
Could that be where the term 'to sleep on it' comes from?

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 02:40 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

Tarot is interesting. I don't do it because I don't now how to but it seems very interesting. My mom can use the tarot deck though and I had her do it for me. Though she says it would be better for me to get it done by someone who doesn't know me because there's a spiritual link formed between us. She's always said it's "Do it yourself psychology in a box".
I don't believe it's hogwash.

posted on Sep, 28 2014 @ 02:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: athousandlives

Thanks for your input!

That's interesting, I have actually slept with my deck under the pillow a couple times.
I remember reading somewhere that sleeping with a book under the pillow, helps to better understand it, I guess it could be applied to cards or other things.
Could that be where the term 'to sleep on it' comes from?

Seems plausible.

It works, try sleeping with mugwort under your pillow. any theories on to why this works?

Or other things like moldavite, maybe you'll get an experience out of it.
edit on 9/28/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2014 @ 03:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Aural

"...not every event can be changed. "

I agree. I recently had an event in my life wherein I just "felt" something was wrong with my animal. It was really, really tangible; I could feel the presence of death although there was no physical indication of anything wrong. I consulted the Tarot. The same cards came up again and again. No matter how I tried (and believe me I tried), I ultimately lost my animal with a surprise fatal illness that came up literally out of nowhere -- within just mere hours. He went from perfectly healthy (seemingly) one minute to dying the next. That event wasn't for me to control or change; it was my animal's destiny -- a choice of his which was out of my control. Huge, huge lesson for me.

I have a number of decks, but the one that speaks to me most beautifully and clearly is the Robin Wood Tarot. www.robinwood.com...

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I'm not interested in divination that way, and a long time ago didn't take Tarot very seriously as a result. I do a fairly substantial meditation work (in cycles) though, a sort of personalization, jungian slash active-imagination slash HGA-led focus, and Tarot (as Aeons of the Universe) can be a focus during that. My perspective is a little different though; I don't think of it as cards, I think of them as our version of nametag-labels for huge, powerful, gods-little-g collections of energy (all Tarot cards are 'dynamics' in my view). Which one interacts with in the meditations (hence the 'personalization' part).

I use the Thoth deck, as there are some more beautiful (not many), but it has the most draw for me and so often ends up with symbols that explain some of my experience (after the fact I will see something one day and understand it suddenly -- there it is, clear as day! -- it didn't mean anything to me ahead of time though. I joke it's like California "dip" road signs that are more explanation after the fact than advance warning).

I have finished the disks series and I think of the energies like guides now of a fashion. I made a printed framed poster just for myself (the cards are copyright so it's not something I could sell in any form. (Too bad, someone ought to -- the artwork for Thoth tarot could be making the OTO a fortune.) for the disks:
My Personal Disks Poster
the background is a Walter Russell figure on periodicity, a couple NASA space pics and the center is an image I made for my own spiritual symbolism. I'll be making variants for other groupings in the deck as I finish each series.

My best friend prefers other decks and he pulls a 'random' card every morning before work and sits quietly with it, reads about it a bit, if he has time anyway. Over the long term he has come to feel this is profoundly more than coincidence or expectation -- moreso as he did it regularly, as if the allowing became part of the effectiveness and specific-ness as well.

I had a friend long ago who did tarot readings (auto mechanics and tarot readings -- hilarious blend!) and was astoundingly good with it. That was the first time I'd run into it in a context that I took more seriously and didn't find amusing.

Now that I have what I consider a sort of 'relationship' with this, I consider my previous scoffing about it to be the ignorance it really was. It's actually pretty awesome.

RC

posted on Apr, 9 2016 @ 07:22 PM
link   

I just got a Tarot Deck, the classic Rider Waite, not sure why, curiosity, a certain attraction to the 'occult' or maybe just a new hobby.
And I don't blindly believe in an ultimate truth or a definite insight into the workings of Life or the Universe itself, like I've seen some hardcore proponents of divinatory methods like the I Ching, Tarot, Runes etc. do.

But, although I never went too deeply into Jung, I have a certain affinity to believe in archetypes, they have existed since the dawn of time, embedded in our subconscious, in our dreams, no matter what our social or religious background or lack thereof, and I think they have a great influence on how we perceive people and the situations around us.
And if interpreted right, I believe they can be of great help to better understand our lives.

After a couple looks at my new deck, I realised the Tarot is teeming with archetypes, probably you knew that already.

My questions to the experienced with Tarot:

1. What brought you to Tarot and what deck do you use?

2. What are some simple, 4 to 7 card spreads i can practice on myself or with friends, and should I stick to a predetermined one or can I be creative?
(I earlier made one up on the go, based on my current worries, 5 cards: 1st, present situation; 2nd, what to be aware of; 3rd, how to procede; 4th, how the outcome will look like; 5th what positives to take from it. And I have to say the images and meanings of the first and second cards really hit home, scarily.)

3. What is your take on reversed cards? (some people outright dismiss them, while others give both negative and positve values depending on the question.)
edit: and should i take care and put them in the upright position after I am finished?

4. What is your take on the Moon card above, for some reason it has perplexed me and can't give a proper definition no matter what the question is.

And to those who don't believe in such methods:

1. Is it because you think it's just our brains connecting dots, seeing personal messages where they really could apply to anyone?

2. Do you think they are the work of the devil?

3. You think it's all hogwash and i should stick to my day job?

The first deck i ever used was my mothers as a kid,she used to be a fortune teller and the cards were just one method she would use it was "the cat people" deck and all the meanings and spreads i learned from her.
She is a christian now and her church arranged a burning/destruction of all her divination tools and occult paraphernalia (first edition books the lot).
I now use the "thoth" deck exclusively as i am still learning the deck,i still use the usual spreads 3 card,1 card,celtic cross,4 card method with card counting,but am working on the astrological and kabalistic side of the deck also path working etc.
just noticed this thread is a couple of years old,but ive typed the reply now.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 04:43 AM
link   
a reply to: RedCairo

I have recently got a Thoth as well, and still learning but it seems to me that it gives a more complex reading but strangely also easier to understand at times.
Interesting, so you use it as a way to better understand events that have already happened in your life?
That's a cool poster, can I ask how you use it?
Thanks for your input.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 04:59 AM
link   
a reply to: nooneyouknow

Never too late for a reply

I never heard of the Cat People deck, I googled it and it looks much better than I expected I have to say, going by the name, lol.
I also got a Thoth recently and find it easier to read than the Rider Waite, even if it's more complex in its imagery.
I'm a very slow learner as I tend to use it only when trying to find the best action to take in a difficult situation.
I still have trouble to fully understand the relationships between suits, and how they affect each other.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Never too late for a reply

I never heard of the Cat People deck, I googled it and it looks much better than I expected I have to say, going by the name, lol.
I also got a Thoth recently and find it easier to read than the Rider Waite, even if it's more complex in its imagery.
I'm a very slow learner as I tend to use it only when trying to find the best action to take in a difficult situation.
I still have trouble to fully understand the relationships between suits, and how they affect each other.

it seems to me the thoth can be as simple or complicated as you make it,i have done a few readings for people using "standard" spreads and reading the cards the same way as any other deck and have had no problem with accuracy, but the deck is capable of so much more and it seems a shame not to tap into its full potential.
What companion books did you find helpful if any? I am very much still learning the thoth and i found "understanding Aleister crowleys Thoth tarot" by Lon milo duqette" a great help in understanding the deck.
i have attempted the 15 card

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:17 AM
link   

With the Thoth I have only done the recommended spread in the little booklet that came with the deck, I think that's the 15 card you mention. I think that's a very good spread even though it takes me ages to try to understand it. I always feel I'm missing something.
I had a little book called 'the only Tarot book you'll ever need' which I bought when I got the Rider Waite, and it was very helpful. But it doesnt really work with the Thoth.
I'll look into the Lon milo one if I get the chance.
I also sometimes just take a single card, but that doesn't usually work for me as I'm left confused so I take another card to explain the first one better, and then another one... you see where this is going, lol

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:25 AM
link   

Nice to see the OP is still around responding to post.

I have already posted replies a while back. However , as a keen Tarot enthusiast, I would like to add something more.

I believe the Rider Waite deck is the best to use ,unless you set out painting your own deck. I believe this because the artist (Pamela Coleman-Smith) painted fluently. You can see that the drawings are almost as if there were done in one stroke and all cards appear to be from the same family. It is not the case with the Thoth deck where there is a total break and each painting look like they were done by a different artist (although we know it was the same person).

The best deck will be the one you paint yourself. However, before doing that , you must have a good symbolic understanding of each card.

edit on 10-4-2016 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

edit on 10-4-2016 by crowdedskies because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 06:36 AM
link   

I can see what you mean, I have also noticed that about the Thoth, that some cards are in a different style than the rest.

The best deck will be the one you paint yourself. However, before doing that , you must have a good symbolic understanding of each card.

That is quite an undertaking! I believe some artists take decades trying to do it, years studying symbology, and then many more years to sketch and paint them all.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 07:13 AM
link   
i was drawn to tarot out of the blue a year ago i bought the guilded tarot first and now use the cosmic tarot (beautiful art)

use biddy tarot.com there are some simple 3 card spreads and the descriptions of meanings are spot on. its a good informational site

reversed cards are necessary. they are like a wake up call

the moon is about listening to dreams and subconscious!

tarot is awesome!

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 07:20 AM
link   
this has been my inspiration as of late the queen of wands. for me it represents powerful feminine energy!

the deck is the cosmic tarot my favorite

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 07:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: crowdedskies

I believe the Rider Waite deck is the best to use

I have been tempted by the Rider Waite,but thought the Thoth would fall by the wayside if i did buy it.
Maybe i could get the Waite deck and still find a place for the Thoth? i suppose its not uncommon for people to use more than one deck.
I love the idea of making my own deck but in all honesty that would be some way off.

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 08:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: dreamlotus1111

the deck is the cosmic tarot my favorite

Just looked it up,what a beautiful deck!

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 08:11 AM
link   

here's my take.

a picture of a dog, a coyote, and a crawdad barking at the moon.

awoooo

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 08:34 AM
link   
a reply to: qmantoo

I agree with you on the over-interpreting part. I also don't do readings any more, except for myself rarely or if a friend or family member asks, and then I use only the Rider Waite desk for others and an oracle deck for myself. I also always have the readee shuffle the cards and have them choose the layout, along with one question or concern (intent).

Strangely, I do not assign any type of psychological assessment to the spread, rather I "see" how the question, or readee'ss question or concern relates to the spread. I will assist the readee in travelling and understanding the spread's meaning as it becomes clear to me. Clarity of meaning from a spread is immediately apparent and I relate that without delving deep into what others believe a particular card should represent, because that can change depending on the path of the spread.

For instance, when I asked my Tarot/Psychic instructor if she would like me and my class partner to do a reading for her, she was elated. When she laid out the one card, it was the tower. Now her question before the card was shown was that she was worried her public path to teaching ESP via Tarot would take her on the path of fame and arrogance. When the tower appeared she was so cemented in that belief, she interpreted the tower as a negative place. Whereas, my classmate and I looked at each other and I relayed my first and only impression as that of a positive journey reaching a great height, and the other reader agreed. So, even a seasoned psychic can become boggled down with preconceived notions or negative unsubstantiated worries.

I mean, really, read the negativity in others' interpretation of the tower card. Don't cement yourself in that place.

www.paranormality.com...
edit on 10-4-2016 by InTheLight because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join