It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tarot, believers and non-believers, what is your take?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:37 AM
link   
My take on it...is that it works and it works very well if you spend the time to learn all the meanings of each card...
My advice would be to respect it and resist the temptation to fool around and play fortune teller with your friends...

I have given readings to people....not all readings are positive...lots of it is stuff people don't want to hear....sometimes the readings are pure doom.
and when the doom readings come true the people were usually so freaked out by it they would avoid me like the plague afterwards....

I have also freaked myself out with the cards....

I gave myself a doom reading once that came true 3 days later....about 17 years ago...and to this day I will break out into a cold sweat if I see the Tower Card.

I used to use the Aliester Crowley Thoth deck....he's not my favorite guy but I found the artwork to be quite spectacular...and of course the cards were very effective.

edit on 981414 by Eliyahu because: (no reason given)

edit on 981414 by Eliyahu because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: CallYourBluff
Barnum statements just like the horoscope. If they were real the same cards would come out on multiple readings for the same person. That never happens. It's a silly toy just like the ouija board.

They don't because the future isn't set in stone just knowing something can change the outcome of any given situation. They are the art of story telling. Divine communication with the subconcious being able to connect with another's subconscious is how you truly get your answers. Practice with yourself and read your own story. I love tarot and geomancy. I use steam punk deck because it speaks to me the most.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:21 AM
link   
Seems to me.
The very act of knowing the future would change the future.

Think about it.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows
Seems to me.

Think about it.

Or what about the other way around?

You are told your "future" and believe it will happen strongly enough and in effect manifest it for yourself. Like if you were to pull a card that suggested you will hit a "downer" and so you fall into a negative mood because of that ultimately fulfilling your own prophecy. XD

But to ponder that makes my head spin.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 05:49 AM
link   
a reply to: MoonMystic

Not sure if I believe that is possible.
But, ok.

What I meant however was knowing the future would naturally change your reactions to events in the present.
Which would in turn change the future.

To use a example, say you knew you'd not get into an accident that day.
Don't ask me why.
You just know it.
Which leads you to drive not as cautiously as you normally would.
Which could lead to an accident.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I am simply a hobbyist. A couple of years ago, I purchased the rider Waite deck too. I actually found a free online course that was quite helpful. Just google free Lotus tarot and you should find they have a wonderful course and are very helpful for newbies.

Do I think that tarot readings predict the future? No. I do believe it is a very useful tool in activating one's own subconscious to explore deeper options. I just gave 2 readings this past weekend. I have come to enjoy the Celtic cross tableau for it provides me a means to provide my questioner more avenues to explore. I always keep my response to the general feeling and/or meaning and allow them to connect their own dots. I do try to keep the reading as positive as possible. Obviously, I always avoid fearful creating responses. Read with love. Tarot reading is quite suggestive to some and they will be making decisions based on what you tell them. If someone is fearful...they never make the best decisions.

The best advice I have ever received was not to overwhelm myself on trying to remember each cards keywords! I learned the general cycles and storylines. Focus on what each card is saying to you the reader. Use your own insight, by doing so, you will be better able to communicate with your questioner. Images in the rider Waite deck make this really easy to do.

I have experienced the non-communicative skeptics, and have found by being honest with them up front works best. The tarot is not magical...it is a tool to provide them insight on how they may conclude their own issues at the moment or future. It is a tool. As with any tool, it is only as functional and helpful as the operator.

I am sure there are many here more experienced than I. I just remember when I was a newbie, I felt overwhelmed from the more experience individuals advice I seeked. Make it your own fun hobby.

edit on 9 8 2014 by CynConcepts because: Spelling

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 06:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: athousandlives

My questions to the experienced with Tarot:

2. What are some simple, 4 to 7 card spreads i can practice on myself or with friends, and should I stick to a predetermined one or can I be creative?
(I earlier made one up on the go, based on my current worries, 5 cards: 1st, present situation; 2nd, what to be aware of; 3rd, how to procede; 4th, how the outcome will look like; 5th what positives to take from it. And I have to say the images and meanings of the first and second cards really hit home, scarily.)

For a while I toyed with the idea of reading professionally, but I never went so far as to actually charge anyone. That said, I did make this website as a marketing tool, and my business partner likes it so it still exists. I don't read for people, since my one foray into that enterprise ended with my feeling invaded by people I didn't know (which simply means that I'm not cut out to be a professional Tarot reader). Still, the site itself has a lot of good insights into Tarot (including several really effective spreads) for anyone who's in your exact situation, so go ahead and get what you can from it.

3. What is your take on reversed cards? (some people outright dismiss them, while others give both negative and positve values depending on the question.)
edit: and should i take care and put them in the upright position after I am finished?

I never bother with reversed cards, since there are plenty of cards to work with already, and reverses tend to simply be "lesser" versions of the nonreversed cards. I just shuffle them in a manner that allows me to handle each card individually while not allowing me to reverse them unintentionally.

4. What is your take on the Moon card above, for some reason it has perplexed me and can't give a proper definition no matter what the question is.

The Moon is simply an indication of your own trepidation concerning an avenue of travel that seems a bit sketchy as a result of your not already having constructed a specific expectation concerning where this avenue will take you. For some (like me, for instance) The Moon card is pretty exciting, since I like a real adventure every now and then.

The Moon features all the possibilities (carnal, intellectual, domesticated, feral, primordial, and ultra-sophisticated) scattered right there in front of you, with a road stretching into the distant horizon where dark mountains lay. Always reminds me of leaving the Shire with a variety of dwarves, elves, and humans, in a quest to dissolve a ring in a volcanic pool that lies deep within a terrible kingdom of pure evil. Yes, death awaits, but so does the chance to save Middle Earth and be forever celebrated in poems and songs.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 08:52 AM
link   
I recently have gotten a tarot reading, from a well known professional tarot reader who has an extensive background in the occult.

I asked for his assistance based on a recommendation of a friend whom i trust when it comes to metaphysical/occulty things.

since I am going through a rough patch and needed some idea of what is in store for me, and the reading might help influence my overall view of the situation.

I payed $100 for an hour reading, the reader was very professional and clear, however a lot of what he said didn't seem to fit in with my reality or how i would predict things would turn out, then again nothing is certain.

so I'm taking what he said with a grain of salt. i guess to me tarot is a hit or miss. but I'm keeping an open mind.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: HarbingerOfShadows
Seems to me.

Think about it.

Divination would be nearly worthless if that weren't true.

My readings are always done to secure the good fates and thwart the bad.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 10:00 AM
link   
The very concept of tarot is evil imo.
a reply to: athousandlives

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:23 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

cool thanks, will check that site out,

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:40 PM
link   

No its true. It does change the future but not every event can be changed. For instance if you see a positive future you may get lazy and not do what it took to get there. If you see a bad future you work harder to avoid it. But it can also be pushed in back of your mind and keep carrying on to the predicted way.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:45 PM
link   
a reply to: Aural

a reply to: qmantoo

a reply to: MoonMystic

thanks for your replies, very much appreciated!

a reply to: lost in space
I'm so sorry for your loss, that's pretty heavy.
That's an aspect that scares me sometimes, not the first time I hear of an uncomfortable card appearing multiple times in the same spot.
Peace

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Nochzwei

Ok, but could you elaborate why you think that?
Just trying to get a sense of different opinions, what it is that people find it to be the devil's work?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   
a reply to: NorEaster

Thanks for the link, I'm having a look at the different spreads and one caught my attention, the deceased contact spread. Have you successfully used it to contact someone?

Interesting take on the Moon, and I like how you liken the path as leaving the Shire, although I'm guessing you use another deck with different symbolism from the Rider Waite, I take?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 06:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aural

No its true. It does change the future but not every event can be changed. For instance if you see a positive future you may get lazy and not do what it took to get there. If you see a bad future you work harder to avoid it. But it can also be pushed in back of your mind and keep carrying on to the predicted way.

I think you misread my post; I said pretty much what you said. I should have emphasized "weren't" in my post.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Yeah I tend to do that. I get dyslexic like when I am stressed sometimes.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

1. What brought you to Tarot and what deck do you use?

I started reading Tarot when I took a very serious look into past experiences and realized that I might have some talents that I could use. I use Rider like you. Only I make sure if I ever buy a deck it is the classic 1971 version. For some reason it is the one deck that works for me. Others work ok, but the Rider deck, I dunno, it is just the right deck for me.

(notice I skipped #2)
The reason for this is I only use one spread in my cards,(celtic cross)
as that is all I have ever needed.

3. What is your take on reversed cards? (some people outright dismiss them, while others give both negative and positve values depending on the question.) edit: and should i take care and put them in the upright position after I am finished?

I use reversed cards, but for starting out, it is much easier to not use them as it complicates meanings. When y9ou become more familiar with the cards upright, then start to consider reversals. Leave them reversed in the spread, don't flip them upright. Use the upright meaning. The reason for this is if the cards have a reversed meaning, you might get an intuitive impulse as to what they mean around the other cards.

4. What is your take on the Moon card above, for some reason it has perplexed me and can't give a proper definition no matter what the question is.

I treat the moon as an Omen.
meditate on the meaning of the moon card until it becomes clearer to you.
Also realize that the meanings to the cards in a book, will change as you learn to work with them.
You will develop your own style and meanings to the cards based on what you read, however,
just like the cards themselves, the book meanings are tools to guide you until you develop your own understanding.

Also, keep other channels open. Don't JUST do tarot. If you are learning to work with your intuition, you can become dependent on Tarot and not advance yourself farther, just keep that in mind.

Tarot is an excellent tool, but it is only a tool. You are the intuitive one,make sure to work on yourself as well as the tarot.
meditate on the Major cards, each one, in order. Devote a day or a week to each card and give it some thought and study.

Tarot is not about telling the future, although you can, it is more about the mystics journey, your journey if you choose to take it.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: athousandlives

1. What brought you to Tarot and what deck do you use?

2. What are some simple, 4 to 7 card spreads i can practice on myself or with friends, and should I stick to a predetermined one or can I be creative?
(I earlier made one up on the go, based on my current worries, 5 cards: 1st, present situation; 2nd, what to be aware of; 3rd, how to procede; 4th, how the outcome will look like; 5th what positives to take from it. And I have to say the images and meanings of the first and second cards really hit home, scarily.)

3. What is your take on reversed cards? (some people outright dismiss them, while others give both negative and positve values depending on the question.)
edit: and should i take care and put them in the upright position after I am finished?

1.I use the Rider/Waite deck too.Firstly because of the fluidity of Pamela Coleman Smith's drawings which gives purity to each card and secondly because of the qabalistic source.

2.IMHO , most spreads are flawed.It is best to use a spread based on different areas of activity. The astrological spread is a good example.

3.I do not believe in using reverse cards. Any challenge in life makes us stronger and the idea that a reverse card is bad is ridiculous.

4.The Moon card tends to have the same meaning in any spread; indicating a somewhat slimy path ahead or being stuck in a hole.

posted on Sep, 27 2014 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: crowdedskies

Hi crowded skies.

I was in jail for a fight I got I to drunk almost a decade ago now and I was playing with tarot cards for a while before that, I was only like 22 or so at the time. Still a total moron, not just an idiot but a total moron.

But one thing I learned to do was do dream work and sleep with the cards under my pillow for 7 days.

Well anyway I did that in jail with a deck of cards I used to play cards with with other cards players. Now I am not really s trouble maker I just don't back down from a fight. I'm much better now but at 22 if you got into with me then there was no way I backing down unless you back down first.

So anyway after sleeping on the cards for seven days I started playing cards those cards and I literally won 90% of the games I played with them. I wasn't doing anything special but I had a bond with them. It was so bad that no one would play with me if we were using my cards. The funny thing is they didn't even know.

So what you should do in my opinion is start your relationship with the cards you choose by sleeping on them and doing and recording dream work for seven days.

Next you want to intimately get to know each card, not by using them but by reading about them and their symbology.

Don't use them a lot save them for when your really using them for guidance. Light a few candles and turn the lights off, get some incense of your choosing, I like mugwort or sage. Clear your head by doing some ought meditation and relax. I like to relax with earthy colors, reds, Browns, greens, very grounding.

I know more tricks that I've discovered through creative exploration and more occult, darker, deeper, things you do to play with things like tarot cards they might reveal to you the thin veil between us and reality.
edit on 9/27/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join