It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tarot, believers and non-believers, what is your take?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:02 PM
link   

I just got a Tarot Deck, the classic Rider Waite, not sure why, curiosity, a certain attraction to the 'occult' or maybe just a new hobby.
And I don't blindly believe in an ultimate truth or a definite insight into the workings of Life or the Universe itself, like I've seen some hardcore proponents of divinatory methods like the I Ching, Tarot, Runes etc. do.

But, although I never went too deeply into Jung, I have a certain affinity to believe in archetypes, they have existed since the dawn of time, embedded in our subconscious, in our dreams, no matter what our social or religious background or lack thereof, and I think they have a great influence on how we perceive people and the situations around us.
And if interpreted right, I believe they can be of great help to better understand our lives.

After a couple looks at my new deck, I realised the Tarot is teeming with archetypes, probably you knew that already.

My questions to the experienced with Tarot:

1. What brought you to Tarot and what deck do you use?

2. What are some simple, 4 to 7 card spreads i can practice on myself or with friends, and should I stick to a predetermined one or can I be creative?
(I earlier made one up on the go, based on my current worries, 5 cards: 1st, present situation; 2nd, what to be aware of; 3rd, how to procede; 4th, how the outcome will look like; 5th what positives to take from it. And I have to say the images and meanings of the first and second cards really hit home, scarily.)

3. What is your take on reversed cards? (some people outright dismiss them, while others give both negative and positve values depending on the question.)
edit: and should i take care and put them in the upright position after I am finished?

4. What is your take on the Moon card above, for some reason it has perplexed me and can't give a proper definition no matter what the question is.

And to those who don't believe in such methods:

1. Is it because you think it's just our brains connecting dots, seeing personal messages where they really could apply to anyone?

2. Do you think they are the work of the devil?

3. You think it's all hogwash and i should stick to my day job?

edit on 7/9/14 by athousandlives because: another question

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: athousandlives

Tarot cards are the purest form of dot connecting there is. You take random cards from a deck, and you ascribe meaning to them, or rather hidden (occult) "meaning is revealed" as you make the connections in your brain to your own life.

If you know that's what it is, you can have fun with it, make it a meditative tool to think about stuff. If you don't, they can make you crazy.

The main thing with layouts is you can make up whatever ones you want. The most empowering ones though always offered the querent a choice, two paths forward represented by different cards. Similarly, the meaning of cards will differ from person to person. For most people the moon represents the subconscious mind, dreams, creativity.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:33 PM
link   
a reply to: tridentblue

Thanks for the reply,
So I take it you also made up you own layout at times?
I had read the basic meaning of the moon, but for some reason it had me stumped and mystified, maybe because of it's very nature, the surreal landscape with the two towers, the dogs, the lobster and what are those, flames, in the sky under the moon?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:37 PM
link   

The major archana is an arch atypical story known as the journey of the hero. The first few cards are archetypal figures one meets along their journey into the mystical.

the other 52 cards are where playing cards are derived the 4 suits have elements and in some cases similar lessons, circumstances, and resolutions. jung touches it the book you need to read is "the hero with a thousand faces".

the card has meaning but the position within the spread gives it significance.

Connecting the dots.. whatever the hell that means would lend belief to the idea someone can make up a general story and make it stick to anyone on the street.

I would ask anyone who is devoted to that to drop the cards go outside and try that. no really, cause if your that perceptive and creative you don't need them. That is if your successful at all. good luck charging for it.

Ive used a Rider Waite deck for over 12 years.

The biggest step isnt so much knowing what spreads you can use to practice, but having knowledge and memorizing what the cards mean. Kind of like learning the flashcards for math problems as a child.

Over the years the positions and cards have ment similar things to people in similar situations but that's where the canniness of the cards end. For me to spread out vary specific cards to specific positions and touch specific circumstances to complete strangers is completely against the odds. And really whoever is fool enough not to think so should try it. willy nilly like.

until they do the insult to their intelligence wont facilitate any learning on the subject.

Regardless its up to you how you want to learn. the longest part is knowing all 72, the major cards are the easiest the minor take the longest to teach. but as soon as you have at least a working definition for each card your ready to do spreads, whatever their arrangement for yourself or friends.

though strangers are the best practice. highly critical and skeptical ones

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I actually had a reading in college and it was completely accurate. What made it strange was the predictions were highly unlikely so I laughed it off at the time of the reading. I believe there is power in the cards to tell the future and I also believe in the power of the ouija board. However, I personally would never get involved with the occult knowing that the entities that are contacted through the arts of divination are not necessarily benign.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:04 PM
link   

I picked up my first (and only) deck used for free as part of my volunteer work. The deck is an out-of-print one called the Shakespearean Tarot (basically, same amount of cards as a standard tarot deck, just a couple different suits).

As for what called me to this particular set, well, I don't know offhand.

Also, I don't actually use spreads, partially because everytime I need a question answered, a card (or in one case, 10 cards) always seemed to jump out with the answer I was (or wasn't) looking for.

Regarding reversed cards, I always go with the reverse of what the card means to me (I don't go by traditional meanings, but rather what I feel the card means in the context of the surrounding cards).

-fossilera

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:14 PM
link   

"Fake" I went one time and told her to read mine and she told me to get out at the end...LOL

Perhaps it was because I was grinning the whole time...

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Barnum statements just like the horoscope. If they were real the same cards would come out on multiple readings for the same person. That never happens. It's a silly toy just like the ouija board.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:08 PM
link   
First of all, your using Jung as an inspiration for your learning of Tarot will get you off to a great start. I break Tarot down into three different methods of operation. Secular psychological interpretation (inspired by Jung, of course) is one of them that many Tarot readers practice from. It's a fine place of understanding to start from.

originally posted by: athousandlives
My questions to the experienced with Tarot:

I've been in divination arts since I was a child and I avoided Tarot in preference for others until a few years ago. Since then, I made a living on it for some of those years and it's my preferred method of reading now. I currently rotate through about 11 or 12 decks (two of them are very symbiotic so I count them as one sometimes) but that number fluctuates as I gift some of them out and acquire others.

My current favorite is the pair of decks "As Above, So Below". The "So Below" deck is very much Rider-Waite based but is updated with contemporary concepts and depicts life for the modern person. The "As Above" deck loosely follows the standard Tarot format but is differed enough that it could almost qualify as an oracle deck. It depicts the spiritual aspects of life and runs in tandem with the first deck.

2. What are some simple, 4 to 7 card spreads i can practice on myself or with friends, and should I stick to a predetermined one or can I be creative?
(I earlier made one up on the go, based on my current worries, 5 cards: 1st, present situation; 2nd, what to be aware of;
3rd, how to procede; 4th, how the outcome will look like; 5th what positives to take from it. And I have to say the images and meanings of the first and second cards really hit home, scarily.)

The generic Celtic Cross spread is never a let-down and works with just about any deck. For my daily quick-read, I normally just use three cards. (1)-Middle-Theme/Significator (2)-Left-Task for the day (3)-Right-Solution or advice.

Each deck beyond the Rider-Waite one will have custom spreads that the author suggests and many of those are pretty useful. I use different spreads with different decks.

3. What is your take on reversed cards? (some people outright dismiss them, while others give both negative and positve values depending on the question.)
edit: and should i take care and put them in the upright position after I am finished?

Again, it depends on the deck and the artist's/author's intent behind them. Some decks don't work well with reversals while others (like the Rider Waite) seem odd to me without using reversals. A reversed card isn't always the opposite nor is it always bad. For example, many of the cards in the sword suit are actually more positive when reversed and some cards just have completely different meanings.

A simpler way to do reversals if you don't want to get into the interpretations of them is to just read a reversed card as "blocked", meaning there is something blocking the full potential of that outcome and it may be helpful to try to unreverse it with your actions in life.

As far as putting them back in the upright position, that depends on the reader. I know some who are very touchy about how they handle their cards, who gets to touch them, when they can touch the floor, etc. Personally, I play it by ear and don't have a universal set of rules that cover all my decks.

4. What is your take on the Moon card above, for some reason it has perplexed me and can't give a proper definition no matter what the question is.

Hah, you're not alone. The Moon is so effective in conveying its meaning that it often perplexes the reader in the same fashion it represents. This card is very contextual and the interpretation depends on the placement but, a fall-back that works in most cases, it reading it as a bitter-sweet card. The Moon provides light which helps you see but moon light can be very deceptive with all the shadows. There are many spiritual connotations to the card as well but they apply or don't apply depending on the placement in the spread.

And to those who don't believe in such methods:

1. Is it because you think it's just our brains connecting dots, seeing personal messages where they really could apply to anyone?

There are people who believe in Tarot but also would say what you just said. Understanding a mechanism doesn't take away its value. I know a few Tarot masters who have zero belief in anything spiritual or supernatural but use it as a tool for the subconscious and they have full faith in the efficacy of Tarot.

I know that question is to people who don't dig Tarot but I thought I might add that the Rider-Waite Tarot is very Christian-oriented. From Adam and Eve, to Judgement, to well, even the Devil. It's very themed in that pantheon.

No and no. Better yet, if you find you are truly talented in it and it takes over as a passion, make it your day job. It's very rewarding to do for a living.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: ArchangelOger

"Fake" I went one time and told her to read mine and she told me to get out at the end...LOL

Perhaps it was because I was grinning the whole time...

If you asked a doctor to tell you what was wrong and you grinned the whole time, being resistant to the questions, saying "your the doctor, you tell me"... that doctor would probably tell you to get out, too.

I've stopped readings for the same reason before. If a person shows up for help and is resistant to help, I usually don't play their hard-to-get game when I have other paying clients waiting for sincere readings.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Cuervo

Thanks for sharing your insights, great help!
I'll try that about reading reversed cards as blockages.
Yeah I saw the deck has quite a few Christian like symbols, maybe I was thinking more in a general term, as some believe its a form of contacting 'entities',

Heck, if I get really good at it and it seems to help people, for sure I'll try to make it my day job!

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Yeah, when I used to play with Tarot I did. For instance, you can do a real simple past, present and future 3 card. But if you feel there is a problem acting at present there is a problem, you can lay a card across the middle card to express that. On thing I like to add were "2 paths", above to the right and left, representing some possible choices, and maybe a couple cards underneath to the right and left, representing things to meditate on for each choice.

The real power of it to me was to break up ruts in our thinking about problems. Suppose someone is having a conflict at work, and gets temperance and the fool for their two paths. mapping those meanings to their problem, they may start to think about options like bringing people together (temperence) or starting a new career path (fool), and meditating on aspects of this. If the reader was good (IMHO) the cards will unleash the power of the querent to solve their own problems, it won't give them the idea that their lives are predetermined.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:46 PM
link   

a reply to: Cuervo

Thanks for sharing your insights, great help!
I'll try that about reading reversed cards as blockages.
Yeah I saw the deck has quite a few Christian like symbols, maybe I was thinking more in a general term, as some believe its a form of contacting 'entities',

Heck, if I get really good at it and it seems to help people, for sure I'll try to make it my day job!

Awesome. Also, I knew what you meant by it "being the devil" question but that's usually how I respond to those types of folks. You would be surprised, though, at how many Christians are comfortable coming to a Tarot reader (even a witch, at that). Society is changing in some areas better than I could have ever hoped for but not fast enough in others.

A lesson I hope you don't have to learn the hard way is to not prejudge too harshly. Some people who ask "stupid" questions like that are innocently ignorant on the subject and are honestly just curious. I've been defensive so many times towards religious folks grilling me until I changed my attitude about it and now those conversations go faaaaar differently.

Just do what you do from a place of benevolence and love with a genuine desire to help people and you will find out just how far your talents can take you. I hope this is a gateway tool for you as it serves as a precipice to an amazing world of research, mythology, and spirituality for many people.

Oh yeah. The main reason I replied was to give you a link to a great resource and then I forgot. "aeclectic.net" is a Tarot community filled with professionals and beginners, learning from one another. The part I found most handy was their large library of decks and reviews on those decks. Also, if you are super hungry for some obscure spreads, it's a great place to find those, too.

ps edit - I dug up an old review (I used to do them for curious clients so they could choose the deck better for their readings) for that deck I was talking about. It's seriously a wonderful set of decks.

edit on 7-9-2014 by Cuervo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:21 PM
link   
My first experience of Tarot was a few days ago.. she also cut hair, lets just say her Barber qualities were as pish as her reading of the future. i got the bad haircut, her sister got promises of Gold and Love...had to fix my head myself with a dog grooming kit later.

Could have predicted the outcome myself to be honest. but obviously i should have consulted my own cards to see what my head had in store for that day....A F@&k up to say the least.
My head was the shape of a moldy Potato until i used the power of eyesight to square it off....how can you get a number nothing wrong????
edit on 7-9-2014 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I think I am perhaps on the fence about the whole ordeal along with ouija boards. Of course I grew up in a family that did not want to deal with things like that and I had one in which my mother threw it away. I don't think I have ever had a tarot reading and was curious about those. I've had someone tell me my fate before; but I am not too sure if I were to believe that. The whole of the 'predicting life' or outcomes of things just never set too well with me. I guess cause I'm hard headed and don't want to believe it?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I have been reading Tarot cards on and off for close to thirty years. I dont do it much anymore, every since my favorite nephew died a week after a reading. I was using the normal spread for the Rider and Waite cards, and the death card came up as what was to come. It upset me very much because he was at a very bad spot in his life. I reshuffled the cards without reading them and it came up in the exact same spot again. I read him the cards and stressed that it meant a definite change coming in the future, not death. I knew better though. It was terrible for me knowing what was coming, I loved that boy (he was 27) very much. He died in a freak accident. I never want to know that kind of information about some one I love again. I read the cards rarely now and only with a specific question in mind, that dont always work, the cards tell you what they want you to know. I believe in the efficacy of Tarot cards but you may not really want the answer. I have read the cards for my sisters about their relationships and they werent happy with the answers. I have had the same deck for the past 30 years and I only let other people touch them to cut the deck.I guess you could say I treat the cards with the utmost respect. I cant really say how they work but they do. Alot of the readings I have done I was as surprised as subject was with the response. a reply to: athousandlives

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:07 PM
link   

I do not have a deck but I want one at least for the art but I for sure at least would try using it. I enjoy the art and I like occult things. I am unsure of its origins if its ancient symbols or just made up stuff. I need to read into it more.

(I earlier made one up on the go, based on my current worries, 5 cards: 1st, present situation; 2nd, what to be aware of; 3rd, how to procede; 4th, how the outcome will look like; 5th what positives to take from it. And I have to say the images and meanings of the first and second cards really hit home, scarily.)
I actually know someone who doesnt even use a spread. She just takes the cards out and places them where she feels like she should and keeps taking them till she feels like she should stop.

Well I think inverted cards is pretty senseless if you dont shuffle the deck by spreading it all over a table then piling up the cards or rotating the cards as you shuffle since if you shuffle them any other way they arent going to reverse. The cards do not look like they were ever intended to have an inverted meaning otherwise the artwork would be flippable instead of appearing entirely upsidedown. I'm not sure but I think you are supposed to think of both the positive and negative both in some situations.

I dont know much about interpretations but from what I understand it means chill out and go into deep thought about things do what feels right and dont jump into action just observe calmly to learn. Someone correct me if i am interpreting it wrong.

Well if someone knows howto read the cards properly and if someone else is aware of how cold reading works but without being so skeptical theyd blow everything away you can get a better idea of things. Its not entirely connecting the dots but someone whos cold reading sometimes tries to trick people while using cards but thats not the same as a real reading.

No

You shouldnt make tarot a career as that would be silly. You can keep it as a hobby.

a reply to: CallYourBluff

Different cards in the right combination can mean the same thing actually. It doesn't have to be the same card to express the same theme.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:57 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:16 PM
link   
As with all divination tools, they are just that - tools to aid our mind receive and filter the frequencies which are there all the time. Of course, this does not diminish their effectiveness when used by skilled people but it is the skill of interpreting the images and feelings which is what is being paid for, not anything which the cards bring to the table. (other than their images)

Anything like this which is studied is like going on a spiritual journey and it helps you understand people and become more understanding of the Universe and the way it works. If you get too personal and too close to the interpretations, then you are not standing back and seeing the wonderful way the Universe is organised and how everything fits in in its own right timing and right order.

Of course, I realise everyone gets a bit of a buzz by being able to help or advise others, but I feel that those same others coming for a reading of any kind should be encouraged to get out and make the same spiritual journey for themselves and not seek out those who are already on the path. Ultimately, going for a reading is second hand news and the information is interpreted through the readers filters and then through the filters of the sitter. So, far better to learn to do it for yourself and keep the information to yourself otherwise it is just all so open to interpretation.

Whats that saying? - better to teach a hungry man to fish than give him a fish - or something like that.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 02:32 AM
link   

I just got a Tarot Deck, the classic Rider Waite, not sure why, curiosity, a certain attraction to the 'occult' or maybe just a new hobby.
And I don't blindly believe in an ultimate truth or a definite insight into the workings of Life or the Universe itself, like I've seen some hardcore proponents of divinatory methods like the I Ching, Tarot, Runes etc. do.

I know you were precisely calling on experienced readers but I had to jump in because I too have developed an affinity with the tarot. XD I started off with those silly "oracle" cards.
I still love them but honestly their meanings are so encompassing that any card you pull could be interpreted to suit your position. Still, me and my friends have a lot of fun playing with them. But yeah about two years ago I started on the journey of learning tarot. It has been both an eerie and perplexing journey so far. I've got about five tarot books sitting in my bookshelf that I still need to read, haha.

Basically a friend of mine bought me an oracle deck, because at the time I was reading a lot of "New Age" books and she thought I would have fun with it. And I most certainly did. Pretty much after that I bought a few more! I liked them because they were gentle and weren't "scary." I grew up in a strict religion so when I finally left I started drifting towards an interest in the occult. Gradually I started to get extremely interested in the tarot. But I was also wary of it, fearing that it really was "evil" like I'd been told all my life. Anyway, one day I just saw one in an Occult shop and started talking to the lady there about it. She offered to pull a card for me and I was bit nervous but agreed to it. I received the eight of swords, which at the time was so accurate! So I swallowed my nerves and purchased the deck. It was also the rider waite.

Being creative is always more fun! ;D I also made up a couple of my own. But there are even books you can purchase on Tarot spreads that can give you a lot of ideas!

3. What is your take on reversed cards? (some people outright dismiss them, while others give both negative and positve values depending on the question.) edit: and should i take care and put them in the upright position after I am finished?

Reversals still stunt me a lot too. Because I tend to take notice of cards that "jump out" while I'm shuffling so if it lands upside down I'm kind of sitting there wondering if I should see it that way or turn it upright, (I'm funny like that, even though I know it is just my mind putting interpretations to it anyway) usually though I will just look at the image, call up the meaning in my mind and see which feels more right; if it's a positive or negative aspect of the card. And that is how I choose to do all the time now.

Ahhh the moon. I have the exact same perplexity with it! When I think of the moon I think of night, obviously. The time that caused our ancestors fear, searching in the dark with only the faint light of the moon to guide them. I see our spiritual journey and the discovery of truth the same way. There is sooo many descriptions for this card. For this reason I find it can be an overwhelming card to receive. I often wonder is it referring to something internal (emotions, dreams, mind) or external (hidden aspects, deceptions etc). I suppose it depends not only on the question but like someone else said, on the placement of the card and the surrounding cards.

And to those who don't believe in such methods: 1. Is it because you think it's just our brains connecting dots, seeing personal messages where they really could apply to anyone?

Perhaps! But that is still awesome when you think about it. You are teaching you mind to see things and determine patterns.

Not anymore! Some of my readings have actually proved helpful in my life. I have gained much insight about myself and situations through learning the tarot. And I am still just a beginner myself! Having said that, it would be easily possible to lose one's "perspective" with the tarot, resulting in mental disturbance. This is not a reflection of the Tarot IMO, but more of that person's state of mind. I view it as a tool, and like with any tool I use I aim to be sensible with it and remember that is is just a tool to help me access certain parts of my mind through the archetypes and rich symbolism I am offered.

Once I got over my fear of what certain cards meant, I relaxed a lot more with them. Like learning that "Death" more often than not meant an ending of something and not a literal death of a life. It can even be quite the positive card to receive depending on the question.

I would say keep learning and practicing and see where that takes you!

ETA: Also, you may find as you go that collecting decks is so addictive!

edit on 892014 by MoonMystic because: typo and adds

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join