It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Terrifying Facts From Leaked UN Climate Report

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I don't know how credible the source site is for this article but here it is in a nutshell: we're screwed! Here are the 5 points made in the article concerning Climate Change which they say is Man Made.

1. Our efforts to combat climate change have been grossly inadequate.
2. Keeping global warming below the internationally agreed upon 3.6 degrees Fahrenheit (above preindustrial levels) is going to be very hard.
3. We'll probably see nearly ice-free summers in the Arctic Ocean before mid-century.
4. Dangerous sea level rise will very likely impact 70 percent of the world's coastlines by the end of the century.
5. Even if we act now, there's a real risk of "abrupt and irreversible" changes.

This week, a big report from the UN's Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change was leaked before publication, and it confirmed, yet again, the grim—dire, frightful—reality the we face if we don't slash our global greenhouse gas emissions, and slash them fast.

This "Synthesis Report," to be released in November following a UN conference in Copenhagen, is still subject to revision. It is intended to summarize three previous UN climate publications and to "provide an integrated view" to the world's governments of the risks they face from runaway carbon pollution, along with possible policy solutions.

As expected, the document contains a lot of what had already been reported after the three underpinning reports were released at global summits over the past year. It's a long list of problems: sea level rise resulting in coastal flooding, crippling heat waves and multidecade droughts, torrential downpours, widespread food shortages, species extinction, pest outbreaks, economic damage, and exacerbated civil conflicts and poverty.

The debate rages on....I don't know what to think anymore to be honest. From one week to the next, I keep hearing ..."Climate change is real..." then another week I'll hear ...."Climate Change isn't real..." What's the deal, ATS?

www.motherjones.com...

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Leaked, how convienent.

Purpose achieved.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:18 PM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

It's grim, but the impacts are not immediate. People need here and now drama.

Sucks, I know.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:22 PM
link   
I'm still anxiously waiting for the magnetic poles to flip... and hoping i live through it.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   
a reply to: soficrow

Why is it grim actually?

People assume global warming/climate change will be bad but are you sure that is the case? Fossil records show that plant and animal species absolutely thrive in warmer climates, more land opens up for living and agricultural purposes, the world is just better overall.

It is sad that some humans decided they wanted to build their cities on the coast but we easily have the technology to put up defenses against the supposedly 6 ft. rise or whatever it will be in Sea Levels if we need to. Some would say that the Earth with little to no permanent ice is the norm and that the planet is simply returning to normal before it starts up again with it's erratic behavior.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Iamthatbish
I'm still anxiously waiting for the magnetic poles to flip... and hoping i live through it.

Has that ever happened before?

What if they only flip half way.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:28 PM
link   
a reply to: xuenchen
www.nasa.gov...

Yes, its a regular part of Earths cycles. We are due or overdue actually.

+8 more 
posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:29 PM
link   

I think climate change is as real as the history of our planet, it will change again and again and again.....

If we could reduce our memory down to say seven days, after a six month summer we'd see the fall winds move in, the leaves all falling, the air getting colder and we'd all be saying "The end is near!" I think we could halt all human activity and the climate would change regardless.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Senators
a reply to: soficrow

Why is it grim actually?

Guess you missed the part about "crippling heat waves and multidecade droughts, torrential downpours, widespread food shortages, species extinction, pest outbreaks, economic damage, and exacerbated civil conflicts and poverty."

....My personal philosophy recognizes and accepts constant change as reality. Unfortunately, so-called civilization and our economic system indoctrinate people into expecting stasis.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: jajaja
Leaked, how convienent.

Purpose achieved.

Pretty much Yup! leaked right down to the 99.9% certainty...that's an upgrade BTW from what, 95%, 96%, 97%....by all those thousands of scientists, oops! no it isn't, it's from a few guys who knock around the UN collating the stuff. OMG, Climate Change is real, and changes each year on conference day. No wonder the fish are dying, it's because everything is so fishy, just like the 99.9%..they can't say 100%, that would be illegal.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Well, call me not terrified.
I am not sure of the UN's 'facts'.

Even if global warming is a fact, it is a far better option than an ice age.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: smurfy

And brought to you by those same computer models that can't accurately hindcast what the climate of the past was known to be, and if you adjust them to hindcast accurately, no two of them can agree on what will happen in the future, either. But, we should definitely drastically alter our lives and give our governments total dictatorial control of our lives to make sure that none of their predictions ever happen.

edit on 7-9-2014 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: smurfy
And brought to you by those same computer models that can't accurately hindcast what the climate of the past was known to be, and if you adjust them to hindcast accurately, no two of them can agree on what will happen in the future, either.

So very true, I mean I fart, (very occasionally, almost never in fact)
but I don't talk about it, and certainly don't put the event in my diarrheary.
edit on 7-9-2014 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:05 PM
link   

The thing with this is you have the core prediction, a 3 degree temp rise by 2100, and we still look on track for that. Then you have all the ramifications, and that's where people really don't know. For instance, an increase in hurricanes has been predicted, that hasn't happened. Droughts were predicted and they have been happening. But there are so many wildcards. Could increased temps trigger new ocean plant life that eat more carbon? Could it melt permafrost and release more carbon? Who knows.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The IPCC is run by the same international scientists who work for those countries that are building two coal fired power stations each year. Their solution is for the West to cut back on manufacturing and de-industrialize. Guess who gets all that extra business?

Given that solar energy remains constant, there are only three ways it can reach Earth. Absorbed by land, absorbed by ocean and transferred to these areas. Snow and ice reflect sunlight. Land can absorb heat, but will release it as heat, causing thermals. If oceans absorb energy, they release it as evaporated water which then cools down, condenses and falls as rain. The clouds reflect sunlight. Given the angle that the Arctic and Antarctic have to the sun, the energy per square meter is far lower than at the equator.

The important factor is all those different ocean currents that can oscillate every twenty, thirty and fifty years, like the El Nina/El Nino. They have the greatest influence over warming and cooling.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:13 PM
link   
I guess the turn of the next century will be about the time we all start singing "Solong and thanks for all the fish" because our Earth simply cannot sustain us past said date. Time to find Earth 2.0 and release all that off the shelf black project technology. Or we can just keep on deluding ourselfs, our choice I suppose, I know what one I would bet my money on.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: stormcell
The IPCC is run by the same international scientists who work for those countries that are building two coal fired power stations each year. Their solution is for the West to cut back on manufacturing and de-industrialize. Guess who gets all that extra business?

Given that solar energy remains constant, there are only three ways it can reach Earth. Absorbed by land, absorbed by ocean and transferred to these areas. Snow and ice reflect sunlight. Land can absorb heat, but will release it as heat, causing thermals. If oceans absorb energy, they release it as evaporated water which then cools down, condenses and falls as rain. The clouds reflect sunlight. Given the angle that the Arctic and Antarctic have to the sun, the energy per square meter is far lower than at the equator.
The important factor is all those different ocean currents that can oscillate every twenty, thirty and fifty years, like the El Nina/El Nino. They have the greatest influence over warming and cooling.

You forgot to mention 'transient events' say like the oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico in 2010 that some 'idiot' of a geologist 'totally' out of his depth, correctly in June of that year predicted a freezing winter for northern latitudes because the warming Gulf stream was affected, and broken by the spill. The 'prediction' was 100%/sorry, 99.9% correct.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:36 PM
link   

5 Terrifying Facts From Leaked UN Climate Report

Not terrifying and doubtful these are actual 'facts'. Humans will adapt to climate change man-made or otherwise.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
I guess the turn of the next century will be about the time we all start singing "Solong and thanks for all the fish" because our Earth simply cannot sustain us past said date. Time to find Earth 2.0 and release all that off the shelf black project technology. Or we can just keep on deluding ourselfs, our choice I suppose, I know what one I would bet my money on.

Thanks for your reply. I just had to bring some "Doom" to ATS...We're running a little low...

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I thought they had the "cure" for climate change already.
Money. Doesn't even have to be physical money, can be numbers in a bank account on a computer. Its amazing I tell ya.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join