It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vaccine gives monkeys Ebola immunity

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:58 PM
link   
www.bbc.co.uk...

Vaccinated monkeys have developed "long-term" immunity to the Ebola virus, raising a prospect of successful human trials, say scientists. The experiments by the US National Institutes of Health showed immunity could last at least 10 months. Human trials of the vaccine started this week in the US and will extend to the UK and Africa.

It does go on to say

It shows four crab-eating macaques all survived what would have been a fatal dose of Ebola virus five weeks later. However, only half survived an infection 10 months after immunisation. Dr Anthony Fauci, the director of the US National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, told the BBC: "The good part of this vaccine is that at five weeks or earlier you get full protection. "The sobering news is the durability isn't great, but if you give a boost, a second shot, you make it really durable." "We knew this worked in the monkey months ago and based on this paper we started human trials."

So on one hand there seems to be some immunisation on the way via Vaccines.

On the other hand more vaccines.

I know there is a lot of different views on Ebola, some are scared to death while others maintain
that if help is sought soon enough you have a chance to survive it but vaccines are given before
you get it rather than as a cure, so once out there will it be forced on people or will be
people be lining up for it?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:14 PM
link   
I wouldn't get any new vaccines. Some of the negative effects take years to discover or work out.

I however will be the first one encouraging this vaccine and then getting my waver.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Taggart
Thanks for posting this. For a while, I watched the stock of a Canadian drug rise and then fall (it had been earmarked for trials, then yanked due to flu like symptoms--in what or whom, I cannot say. Maybe the stock has gone up recently). The timing of this announcement makes me sit up and go, "Hmmm."
On one hand, I hope that a serum or vaccine is produced, and quickly, one that doesn't have negative side effects, if such a thing is even possible. On the other hand, I thought it took a while to create a vaccine. Perhaps I am thinking of the swine flu vaccine kerfuffle back in '09. (Yet testing has already begun for the Ebola vaccine.)

Is this great timing? A new method of producing vaccines? Coincidence? Something else? Who knows.

Before a vaccine can be made there is a substantial amount of preparation that needs to be done, so this just gets the process started. And the first thing that is needed is a vaccine seed strain.

Do you want that shaken or stirred, madam? With or without different strains?

Notes:
Why do vaccines take so long to make?
scienceblogs.com...

FWIT, I found this source, too, about the US/Canadian venture into testing an ebola vaccine.
www.theglobeandmail.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I wouldn't be rushing to line up for any vaccine.

I can see if global pandemic is imminent it may be mandatory though. Still not getting it done.

I saw a story about the bbc endorsing vaccines and that we are being scared into thinking it's more serious than we know, so we get vaccines . The suggestion was bbc is fearmongering. That a bbc reporter let slip the region it started in actually had no cases of it.

Not saying it's true but it's out there if you google bbc accidentally exposes un or cdc or who, ebola. Forget which it was. Ok I cannot find it now. Not got time to search right now.

There's also the idea we should be given the blood of survivors. No way. I'm suddenly a Jehovah witness then.

Excuse the unsourced allegations, I'm rushing out the door.
edit on 7-9-2014 by violet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Good news, now they have an Ebola free supply of monkeys to eat instead of the infested ones they currently eat.

edit on 7-9-2014 by jajaja because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Good thing they had the foresight to develop this vaccine process before they launched the epidemic in Africa. At least now big pharma can scoop some serious dollars out of country's tax payer funds before the fear campaign gets into full swing.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Good thing they had the foresight to develop this vaccine process before they launched the epidemic in Africa. At least now big pharma can scoop some serious dollars out of country's tax payer funds before the fear campaign gets into full swing.

Cheers - Dave

I didn't delve to far in to my thoughts in the OP but this one the lines of thought I had.

I also wouldn't be lining up for it, it'll be interesting if they suddenly start forcing it up on parts of Africa.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Taggart

originally posted by: bobs_uruncle

Cheers - Dave

I didn't delve to far in to my thoughts in the OP but this one the lines of thought I had.

I also wouldn't be lining up for it, it'll be interesting if they suddenly start forcing it up on parts of Africa.

Yeah... I just find it interesting the the cure or work on a cure (or maintenance process) always seems to be developed before an outbreak and then launched after the outbreak. Makes you wonder if big pharma and the CDC are "making their own business for fun and profit."

Cheers - Dave

new topics

top topics

join