It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famous quotes on reducing the World's population.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:44 PM
link   
A quarter acre of land per person is no where near enough land space to provide one person 100% self-sustainability.

That quarter acre needs to accommodate room for housing, storage sheds, barns, fruits, vegetables, grains, cows, chickens, pigs, horses, goats, fish, water resources, trees/wood resources, rocks/iron/silver/copper and other minerals to manufacture their own goods from scratch, a shop and the equipment to manufacture those goods, etc etc etc.

A quarter acre is roughly 100 feet wide by 108 feet long (10,890 sq ft). That's about the size of an average city residential lot.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Answer

Take a look around the world. Do you see cities getting overpopulated? Is pollution and expansion of our habitat destroying natural resources?

It's not hard to see that we're overtaxing the planet.

We see we want to see to confirm our bias.
I was raised in a city of over "2 million" people. Sure, from that vantage point, things look pretty nasty. I have now lived in a rural setting for the past 22 years. Things look a hell of a lot different from this side of the fence. We're no where near overpopulated. On the other hand. We have a government, and a lot of corporations poisoning our atmosphere, and eating up resources for their own personal gain like candy. But the only thing they and we are hurting in the long run is ourselves. The planet will be fine. It was here billions of years before us, and it will be here long after we are extinct.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Yes, please start with the elites that want this with them first. I bet they wouldn't want to reduce it then. Bunch of psychopaths and sociopaths.

And since we have genetically targeted bio-weapons now that can kill a specific race of people, I say the thugs using the Islamic radical killers be targeted first. They are projected to be the majority in the US by 2050 by procreation alone. LGBT folks ought to consider that fact when they consider which side they are on in the current religious (from radical Muslims side). If they gain power, they will hang them in the streets or just execute them. But I digress.

These famous PTB have got that way mostly off the backs of people barely making enough to live paycheck to paycheck if their lucky. The people need to destroy these people and reestablish a true government of the people globally where it is required. Otherwise we will be exterminated and I still have a hard time believing this rapid mutating EBOLA, and the well know Avian flu/Swine Flu vaccine that contained live flu H5N1.

That is the problem with releasing bio-weapons. They mutate and the vaccine no longer works. I hope if they do something like this it backfires and kills every one of the slave-masters and banker elites that rob the common folks to keep their disgustingly rich lives going.

typos
edit on 7/9/14 by spirit_horse because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: NarcolepticBuddha

originally posted by: Answer
It's a pointless argument from the overpopulation deniers.

I'm not denying overpopulation

But there has to be a better way than culling the masses and sterilizing the 'undesirables.'

Otherwise, what kind of species are we trying to preserve anyway?

I was actually agreeing with you and addressing the post you quoted.

I think that limiting births to those planned by the parents was proposed... along with educating people about the problem. I haven't seen anyone advocating culling and sterilizing certain groups.

When a huge portion of the world still believes that contraception is wrong and their ability to reproduce is in god's hands, there will continue to be a problem.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:53 PM
link   
What a great thread. Lots of very interesting opinions here.

Everyone hears about a conspiracy of some kind now and then but most of them are usually tossed in the "good idea - not gonna happen" category. This one...this is different When someone mentions population control in this context everyone kind of lowers their heads and grinds their teeth a bit. No one wants to admit that it is a logical and attainable goal if you have the resources. And of course, there are those who do.

One of the driving factors of course is limited resources. What I always find myself wondering is, what if some new resource was discovered tomorrow? Something that provides abundant energy at low cost, or a way of purifying water efficiently, or a source of protein that is renewable and requires little investment. Would the desire to reduce the population still be there? I guess the bottom line is, can this be avoided? If we solve every problem that starts people thinking population control is the best answer, will it still be the best answer? I would like to think it isn't, but the more I look around, the more I see the kinds of sick twisted things people are doing to each other, animals, the planet... Maybe this planet does need a good purging...

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Take a look around the world. Do you see cities getting overpopulated? Is pollution and expansion of our habitat destroying natural resources?

It's not hard to see that we're overtaxing the planet.

We see we want to see to confirm our bias.
I was raised in a city of over "2 million" people. Sure, from that vantage point, things look pretty nasty. I have now lived in a rural setting for the past 22 years. Things look a hell of a lot different from this side of the fence. We're no where near overpopulated. On the other hand. We have a government, and a lot of corporations poisoning our atmosphere, and eating up resources for their own personal gain like candy. But the only thing they and we are hurting in the long run is ourselves. The planet will be fine. It was here billions of years before us, and it will be here long after we are extinct.

The rural setting will be great until it's overrun by people, too. Your opinion is a short-sighted one.

The whole world was rural at one point. Just in my short time, many rural areas have been consumed by the ever-growing population.

I don't care about the long-term effects of our population on the planet. I'm addressing the survival of our species.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:06 PM
link   
its not the people its the system

pollution ..... stop polluting then ffs

use plastics instead of natural resources

solar not nuclear ..... the list goes on and sadly for the super rich the only solution is pop reduction just because they want to keep their ancient class system that serves them .. if they could just join the human race they would let it all happen but no they just want to kill a few billion instead

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Do the Georgia Guidestones count?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:20 PM
link   

I don't care about the long-term effects of our population on the planet. I'm addressing the survival of our species.

Then perhaps it's time to address the right people, and the right issues. Don't you find it ironic that the very public figures who preach the gospel of population control, are also the worst offenders on the planet? When was the last time any of them inconvenienced themselves to save natural resources? Or to lessen their impact on our species? When was the last time you heard one of them say they weren't going to have children to aid population control? That's right. Never.

When was the last time you dumped a 1000 barrels of nuclear waste in the ocean?
When was the last time you contaminated a town with chemicals to the point it was unlivable?

You haven't. Right? Then point your index finger in the right direction. Straight at those who have used, abused, and mismanaged resources that could have easily sustained twice our population for thousands of years.

And I repeat. Population figures are handed out by the same people who want to control the population. No conflict of interest there. Right?

edit on 9/7/2014 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

If your average Joe Blow said the above quotes, I would not give it a second thought, but coming from those in positions of power and influence, where they have the ability and means via policy to act on it, is quite disturbing.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Apparently, Australia alone is so big, that every man woman and child on Earth could receive their own quarter-acre piece of land.

This is the kind of 'factoid' that is theoretically true at the same time as being incredibly stupid.

Yes, the land area could support 1/4 for each man woman or child if they were inanimate objects. People are living beings requiring food water shelter ; a plot of arid, nearly dead land will do nothing to support a living being.

The vast majority of land in Australian is uninhabitable.
edit on 7-9-2014 by FyreByrd because: spelling, grammer and stuff - oh boy

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   
a reply to: gladtobehere

How come it is when the people that say this nonsense never leave it on a note next to their bed when they take their own life offering to lead the way to a civilized earth prosperity?

What they are saying is, now I have enriched myself and it's time for you to go, thanks for your help now AMF.

I say let them lead by example.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Answer
I haven't seen anyone advocating culling and sterilizing certain groups.

Oh but you know there are some who'd just love to (wasn't accusing you or anyone in this thread. But it's not a far stretch to guess what some of those 'elites' are thinking.) It's been tried before..and again..and who knows what the future holds. How many conspiracies about population control are in play right now?

But yeah, I'll concede...some people just need to be told, "Enough is enough!"

edit on 7-9-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
The vast majority of land in Australian is uninhabitable.

This is just an illustration to show how much space, presumably untapped potential, there is on this planet. No one is saying let's all move to Australia and divvy up plots in the desert. Humans are also capable of making land livable and habitable. I live in a desert..Heck, the Hopi were living in inhospitable deserts for ages.

edit on 7-9-2014 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
That quarter acre needs to accommodate room for housing, storage sheds, barns, fruits, vegetables, grains, cows, chickens, pigs, horses, goats, fish, water resources, trees/wood resources, rocks/iron/silver/copper and other minerals to manufacture their own goods from scratch, a shop and the equipment to manufacture those goods, etc etc etc.

Not to mention the waste that a family produces!

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Cuervo
Mass population reduction in that analogy would be akin to dangerous chemotherapy. There are better ways and eventually even a cure.

I agree. I'm not advocating forced population reduction. And I do think we COULD cure the "disease". But we're not going to. Not with the power structure that's firmly cemented in place.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: gladtobehere

Apparently, Australia alone is so big, that every man woman and child on Earth could receive their own quarter-acre piece of land.

Every individual could have enough land on which to grow their own food and have their own shelter. With renewable energy (solar, wind, tidal, geothermal etc.), its not inconceivable.

Would it be a huge undertaking? Absolutely but this is just to illustrate that the situation is no where near as bad as they would like us believe.

Yes, there is no population problem. People look at Tokyo and Mexico City and think that we are running out of room but there is more than enough to go around. We could triple our population density and still be just fine.

What people mean when they talk about population control is not the actual numbers the Earth can sustain but their own comfort levels. They may live in that town of 20,000 people and don't want to see those numbers raise so they start shouting that the world is overcrowded and it isn't.

We can make our own water, we can grow food basically anywhere now thanks to GMO foods that can survive harsher and abnormal climates. We can build upwards and we can build downwards and we have the entire ocean we could find ways to live on.

There is absolutely zero population problem.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Empowering Women, educationally, politically, economically and socially, will take care of the population explosion and do so in a non-violent, non-autoritian and non-sexist way.

Studies repeated show that when women are on the rise in the areas mentioned then birth rates go down and often dramatically.

faculty.lacitycollege.edu...

leobchan.wordpress.com...

www.becker-posner-blog.com...

Now there is the 'economic hardship brings down births' crowd but that only is true in industrialized nations and hence of little effect on global population.

Just look at birthrates in the West compared to the East and you will see the effect of Women's Empowerment on birth rates.

The comments listed are assumed to be ones that consider violent authoritarian (racist) modes of population control and I think that is, in some cases, a disservice.

Fellows - "Suck it Up" - it's time for Women to take an active and powerful role in the world.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Yeah, let's not forget the sewage disposal problem... where's it all gonna go on a 100ft x 108ft plot of land that's being used for everything else (food, shelter, water, raw resources, etc) ?? Once that hole under the outhouse is filled up, a new one needs to be dug.

There's only so much poop that can get spread onto one's veggie gardens.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

Yeah, let's not forget the sewage disposal problem... where's it all gonna go on a 100ft x 108ft plot of land that's being used for everything else (food, shelter, water, raw resources, etc) ?? Once that hole under the outhouse is filled up, a new one needs to be dug.

There's only so much poop that can get spread onto one's veggie gardens.

I think you are confusing the ability to do something with the desire to do it. We easily have the technology to deal with any of those problems if we wanted to. The fact that we do not have the will doesn't mean there is a population problem it means there is a definite lack of motivation to address the rising population.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join