It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hilton Hotel in Saint John quarantined

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It's probably standard practice to quarantine an area where a lot of the public comes and goes when someone falls ill like this, especially a hotel.
I friggen well hope so, because I live in Saint John, and this hotel is only a 5 minute drive away from where I live.
Not only that but there was a large wedding being held on the past Saturday night at the Delta hotel located nearby.

A contagious disease in a tourist trap, not good.

If I hear any rumours or news I will post about it.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid
a reply to: AccessDenied

Maybe the way you drive. It's 70 mph after you get past Truro(that means going 80-85
). 3 hours. Easy.

Hey now...That's not stopping for Timmies at the big blueberry.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:02 PM
link   
I unfortunately live in Saint John right now, from what I've heard locally the woman is from Africa and had just recently visited. She was found unconscious on the 7th floor showing the symptoms of someone with the virus. I also work at the airport and she more than likely came through here on one of those tiny Jazz air flights. If this is indeed a case of Ebola I doubt our hospitals are prepared for it.

Just heard now that the lockdown has been lifted and the woman was not in a high risk country, thank Christ.
edit on 7-9-2014 by seanizle because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MALBOSIA

Very interesting - sounds like they suspect airborne (or else they're just panicking). ...One guest came back and was not allowed in, even to get his insulin. Weird.

Thanks. Hope you keep this updated.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Saint John has a few tour ships that frequent the place ..just sayin. a reply to: MALBOSIA

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: soficrow

Very interesting - sounds like they suspect airborne (or else they're just panicking). ...One guest came back and was not allowed in, even to get his insulin. Weird.

Thanks. Hope you keep this updated.

Looks like the quarantine has been lifted.

CBC

The lockdown at the Hilton Hotel in Saint John, N.B., has been lifted after a woman who had  just returned from a Cameroon fell ill.

“As a precautionary measure  we’ve quarantined the building for now until we can determine what the cause of her illness is,” Saint John police Staff Sgt. Mike King.

Same quote from the Staff Sgt. but this article states the quarantine is lifted.

That was quick. I guess it doesn't take long and I am sure there was no shortage of pressure to reopen the hotel and keep news of this getting too big before it could be confirmed. There was not a lot of articles in Google over the last hour. Maybe 8 or so.
edit on 7-9-2014 by MALBOSIA because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Even if it weren't Ebola, for something to make someone that ill, it could be something infectious like Salmonella, Norovirus and the Flu. So it would make sense to keep everyone there to make sure no-one else keels over like a dead parrot.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:01 PM
link   
a reply to: stormcell

Salmonella bacteria are found naturally in the intestines of animals, reptiles and birds.
The bacteria are usually transmitted to people when they eat foods contaminated with animal feces (stool).

healthycanadians.gc.ca...

you can check this one in your list

edit on 7-9-2014 by Dolby_X because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:56 PM
link   
a reply to: gatorboi117
I agree; a friend was air-lifted from a cruise boat last year, and the ship went on its merry way.
But to quarantine an entire hotel? After a single illness? I'm relieved to see a response to illness these days!
Update: I see that the quarantine has been lifted.

edit on 7-9-2014 by drwill because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:00 PM
link   

They said they suspected Ebola because she had been in West Africa. Turns out she wasn't in an affected nation - and supposedly, they confirmed she did NOT have Ebola. Hmmm. Rapid diagnostics? Where did they get that test, I wonder. ...Anyway, it does sound like it was panic and over-reaction.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:17 PM
link   
CBC

"So while she was in West Africa, it's clear she didn't go into any of the high-risk zones. So she isn't going to bring it back if she hasn't been exposed to it," he said.

Ok, so now we got "West Africa" out of them. That wasn't so hard was it?

"What we were presented with was something different that raised some concerns," he told CBC News.

"In the context of the world environment right now, we needed to ensure we didn't have that type of environment here." 

Well it is nice to see the police and fire department was able to find the opportunity to practice some much needed new drills. If so was the Hilton aware?

What types of symptoms does one have to show, to warrant an entire hotel get locked down? I would like to know that before I speculate what kind of school year we are going to have.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:23 PM
link   

They said they suspected Ebola because she had been in West Africa. Turns out she wasn't in an affected nation - and supposedly, they confirmed she did NOT have Ebola. Hmmm. Rapid diagnostics? Where did they get that test, I wonder. ...Anyway, it does sound like it was panic and over-reaction.

So I am not the only one that thought the test results came quite quickly? I have no idea what it involves but I imagine if this was genuine, there would be a great deal of pressure to get the hotel open. I hope they were thorough.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: MALBOSIA

So I am not the only one that thought the test results came quite quickly? I have no idea what it involves but I imagine if this was genuine, there would be a great deal of pressure to get the hotel open. I hope they were thorough.

Likely used a ELISA test, they are pretty quick.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Testing for Ebola and other viral hemorrhagic fevers requires a Level-4 containment lab - there are only about 6 such labs in the world and the samples need to be shipped. Corgenix (one of USAMRIID's partners in the VHFC doing research in Sierra Leone and Nigeria) just got a big grant from the NIH to develop a rapid diagnostic test for use in the field.

edit on 7/9/14 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:57 PM
link   

a reply to: crazyewok

Testing for Ebola and other viral hemorrhagic fevers requires a Level-4 containment lab - there are only about 6 such labs in the world and the samples need to be shipped. Corgenix (one of USAMRIID's partners in the VHFC doing research in Sierra Leone and Nigeria) just got a big grant from the NIH to develop a rapid diagnostic test for use in the field.

Thats sonething im fully aware of.

My point was how a quick diagnosis test would work. Alot of tests are being created useing the EILISA method, I worked on some cat 3 ones.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:47 PM
link   

St. John, NB. Not St. Johns, NFLD.

It's actually Saint John, no abbreviations or apostrophes.

Also, in response to something another poster said, there are international flights out of SJ, they are all Caribbean bound though I think. Sun Wing flies to the Dominican and Cuba from SJ. There is also a pretty thriving cruise ship business that passes through the port.

Glad this has been resolved in a positive way. I have several friends that work at the Hilton. I'll see if they know anything about what happened but it will be second hand info so take it for what it's worth.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: GAOTU789

St. John, NB. Not St. Johns, NFLD.

It's actually Saint John, no abbreviations or apostrophes.

Also, in response to something another poster said, there are international flights out of SJ, they are all Caribbean bound though I think. Sun Wing flies to the Dominican and Cuba from SJ. There is also a pretty thriving cruise ship business that passes through the port.

Glad this has been resolved in a positive way. I have several friends that work at the Hilton. I'll see if they know anything about what happened but it will be second hand info so take it for what it's worth.

That would be pretty awesome if you were to get some kind of account. To know how the hotel was alerted to her travel history would be a real treat. However it went down, I am thankful to your friends at the Hilton.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: CranialSponge

Why not disclose which country she was returning from?

My guess is because they don't want to sound racist... If she came from an African country, that might come across as racial fear-mongering.

It is Canada, afterall.

One would think that if this is a case of ebola entering the colony, the politically correct pussies would grow a brain and drop the bleeding heart facade, better to err on the side of caution. Who cares if she is african, green, purple, orange or red or maybe some stupid caucasian pc tart that didn't think before she went there (or came back). It doesn't matter since ebola is colour-blind, if she's brought back a nasty, people need to know.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Any more updates?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 05:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Meldionne1
Any more updates?

Im guessing she likely had Malaria or one of the more common tropical diseases common out there which symptoms mimic Ebola initial ones.

If thats the case its doubtful you will hear much due to doctor patient confidentiality.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join