It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doug Darrell Acquitted Of Marijuana Charges Through Jury Nullification In New Hampshire

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

Are you not aware of the various different uses medically as well as what we can do with hemp fiber?

You also have to weight in the negative impacts of the drug. For example, i won't mention names but another ATS member in another post related to this topic explained that her father had been using cannabis for decades. At first her father seemed to be okay, but after such prolonged use her father was showing many negative side effects although the member and the family did not know why. I explained, and showed to her evidence that the same symptoms she was tellings us about that her father was showing, have been shown to be caused by prolonged cannabis use.

edit on 8-9-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Hey TV is addictive too. I know some people who will sit and stare at it for hours every day.

Same with the internet come to think of it. Both can be "psychologically addicting."

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   
a reply to: BridgebyaFountain

TV, or the internet are not drugs.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: Senators
a reply to: onequestion

So let me understand this.

You are saying that you are happy that social media can influence a jury to disregard law and make judgments according to popular opinion?

You're right.
How dare the people influence the law via majority!
You think we live a democracy or something around here... Jeez people!

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse
TV, or the internet are not drugs.

Doesn't have to be a drug to be "psychologically addictive." To be that, it just has to be something that some people tend to like doing a lot... every day.... like to the point of it seeming like an addiction.

Let's get something straight. If you do heroin every day for a year, and survive, and then stop doing it, guess what? You're going to be sick as hell. Cold chills and who knows what else. You'll feel horrible and your whole body will crave more heroin.

Now if you're a pothead for a year and then stop smoking pot.... You may not know what to do with all your new spare time, but you aren't going to get physically ill. This is what is the difference between something that is physically addictive (like REALLY addictive, like tobacco and alcohol are) and something that is only "psychologically addictive," basically like watching too much TV. You stop, and maybe it puts you in a bad mood because you'd rather be doing what you usually do... but you DON'T get physically ill.

Get the difference?

Check out long-time alcoholics who are trying to stop drinking... Or long-time tobacco smokers who are trying to kick that habit... Not even close to the same thing.
edit on 8-9-2014 by BridgebyaFountain because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: defcon5

You're right.
How dare the people influence the law via majority!
You think we live a democracy or something around here... Jeez people!

Except in the small fact that the founding fathers also knew that "majority" doesn't always means making the right choice. In fact the majority of the founding fathers of the U.S. were weary of "majority decision".

Majority decisions doesn't necessarily means making the right decision. This is part of the reason why they implemented the "electoral college" in the voting process in the U.S. The majority can be ill informed and can make wrong decisions.

The Need for Formal and Informal Mechanisms to Prevent
"Tyranny of the Majority" in Any Democratic Government
Rick Garlikov
In any institution in which a majority of citizens or members can pass laws or rules that apply, not just to themselves, but to all members of the group, judgment is required to distinguish potential laws which are reasonable and fair from those which are tyrannical because they are unnecessary, unfair, and justifiably intolerable to the minority that opposed them. And formal mechanisms need to be in place, wherever feasible, to prevent tyrannical laws from being passed by those whose judgment in such matters might fail.

The founding fathers of the American republic were not unaware of this problem, and some of the provisions of the U.S. Constitution can be viewed as ways of addressing it even if that is not necessarily their expressed or realized intention. James Madison wrote in Federalist Paper 51: "It is of great importance in a republic not only to guard the society against the oppression of its rulers but to guard one part of the society against the injustice of the other part. If a majority be united by a common interest, the rights of the minority will be insecure." Many of the features of the Constitutional organization of the Federal government are meant to keep any branch or department from attaining domination of the others, but in fulfilling that function, they also serve as a safeguard against any popular majority, as represented then by the House of Representatives (and now by the Senate and the House of Representatives in partnership), from being able to oppress other citizens. Again Madison from the same work: "In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: you must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself. A dependence on the people is, no doubt, the primary control on the government; but experience has taught mankind the necessity of auxiliary precautions."

www.garlikov.com...

edit on 8-9-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment and correct errors.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Now you've said something I agree with.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Now you've said something I agree with.

Hey, people will not always agree with everything another person thinks. Today we see a lot of claims that seem to imply that "the majority must be right". The founding fathers implemented many mechanisms to try to stop any group from obtaining too much power. Unfortunately these mechanisms have only slowed down the advance of draconian laws by tptb.

You see, I think it's really none of my business, or anyone else's business what people do with their lives as adults. But you draw a line when pot growers don't care what their drug does to minors. We are talking about a drug that not only can be harmful, just like tobacco, but it also has many negative impacts on the brain function of minors. Not to mention that minors are more susceptible to becoming addicted to this drug.

Remember, it wasn't that long ago when tobacco companies were hiring certain people to claim "tobacco didn't cause cancer". Now we see the same thing with some people claiming mj has no negative impacts and doesn't cause cancer, when that's not true.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:37 AM
link   

I don't support our current system of governance our cultural or social paradigm or education system and or capitalism.

I think we all need to rethink things and awaken to a new perspective.
edit on 9/8/2014 by onequestion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Except that again MJ/cannabis not only causes psychological changes, but it causes physical changes in the brain as well, and inhibits certain brain functions. Then there is also the fact that it contains from 50-400 harmful chemicals including carcinogens.

Let me give you another example with an analogy. Normally because of our immune system there are bacteria that our bodies can fight and adapt to on it's own. But if we take too many anti-biotics it makes our bodies more dependant on the constant use of anti-biotics. Not to mention the fact that the overuse of anti-biotics is known to make people more susceptible to infections.

Likewise our brain naturally produces cannabinoids, and when you introduce it artificially your system adapts and your brain doesn't produce cannabinoids as it should naturally. So the use of it makes you dependant on the artificial use of the chemical. Then there is the fact that cannabis has many harmful chemicals that your brain does not produce naturally and have many negative side effects.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Senators
a reply to: onequestion

So let me understand this.

You are saying that you are happy that social media can influence a jury to disregard law and make judgments according to popular opinion?

This may have been posted already, apologies if so. But the first thing that came to my mind in reading your reply, was this:

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is *obligated* to do so." --Thomas Jefferson

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: Erongaricuaro
Been there, done those, ain't buyin' it. Prohibition, by far, generates the worst effects regarding cannabis, and that is deliberate, deceitful, dishonest, destructive, and just plain wrong.

Like i said, draconian laws don't exist to just take away your access to MJ. In fact there are more draconian laws that have NOTHING to do with MJ and have everything to do about liberties that matter more than making a drug legal.

As has been reported to occur with great frequency, if you happen to be driving through Tennessee with a large sum of cash, perhaps to cover expenses while on vacation or to make household purchases, and are stopped by police, vehicle searched, money found and confiscated, what stated activity are you allegedly suspected to be engaged in to warrant the confiscation? The purchase of a used vehicle, furniture, appliances? No, civil forfeiture laws allow them to take your money on suspicion of possibly going to make a illicit drug purchase, and it is extremely costly and time-consuming if even possible to have the money returned at a later date if at all, even in the absence of any evidence to suggest that and regardless of one's stated reason for carrying the money. This could be well under the $10,000 limit that had been put in place initially to prevent large drug purchases.

It is drug prohibition that is used as a pretext to violate rights, privileges, and any expectations of privacy in almost every instance of such over-reaches in the absence of clear evidence of a crime having been committed. Drug prohibition is used as a suspicion that a crime 'might' be committed and warrants efforts to prevent it with little or no discretion.

As for prohibition, first I never said anything about prohibition, but I do think mj should be regulated. At least make it harder and harder for minors to get and give harsh punishment to the pot growers who sell to minors. Same for those people who sell other illegal drugs or even controlled substances to minors.

Drugs like MJ are imo the only thing that should be regulated so as to make it harder for minors to get them.

Even in many states with medical mj laws it is difficult for parents to legally treat their minor children with cannabis therapy even when that appears to be the only means to control seizures, severe muscle spasms, and such. Even adults may not be permitted to use it for cancer therapy treatment although it has been indicated to be effective.

Like I said, as an adult you can decide to do whatever you want to do with our life.

Yes, if you happen to be a Rastafarian growing a few plants for religious reasons and are so lucky to have a jury nullify the charges placed against you.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Can you produce evidence to support your claim that the brain naturally produces cannabinoids?

Thanks

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

As has been reported to occur with great frequency, if you happen to be driving through Tennessee with a large sum of cash, perhaps to cover expenses while on vacation or to make household purchases, and are stopped by police, vehicle searched, money found and confiscated, what stated activity are you allegedly suspected to be engaged in to warrant the confiscation? The purchase of a used vehicle, furniture, appliances? No, civil forfeiture laws allow them to take your money on suspicion of possibly going to make a illicit drug purchase, and it is extremely costly and time-consuming if even possible to have the money returned at a later date if at all, even in the absence of any evidence to suggest that and regardless of one's stated reason for carrying the money. This could be well under the $10,000 limit that had been put in place initially to prevent large drug purchases.

First, that law is wrong, but you are implying that the law exists to stop cannabis and that's not it. First of all, drug activities are not referring to just cannabis use, but all drugs. Second of all, in Tennessee the law is being misused merely to take money from people by corrupt police officers.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Except that again MJ/cannabis not only causes psychological changes, but it causes physical changes in the brain as well, and inhibits certain brain functions. Then there is also the fact that it contains from 50-400 harmful chemicals including carcinogens.

Let me give you another example with an analogy. Normally because of our immune system there are bacteria that our bodies can fight and adapt on it's own, but if we take too many anti-biotics it makes our bodies more dependant on the constant use of anti-bodiotics. Not to mention the fact that the overuse of anti-biotics is known to make people more susceptible to infections.

Likewise our brain naturally produces cannabinoids, and when you introduce it artificially your system adapts and your brain doesn't produce cannabinoids as it should naturally, so it makes you dependant on the artificial use of the chemical. Then there is the fact that cannabis has many harmful chemicals that your brain does not produce naturally and have many negative side effects.

Ahhh, you are a DARE officer aren't you?
I knew your arguments were sounding familiar. Care to link up to real studies showing what you are asserting? Care to provide links showing who sponsored those studies?
To folks like you who are of the Reefer Madness persuasion---how do you explain Willie?
How do you explain the millions of people in the world who have imbibed socially or medically for decades and are still the responsible, productive lawyers, doctors, accountants, entertainers and scientists that work hard, pay their taxes and raise their offspring to be good citizens?
How do I explain them? I realize that there is a vast difference in USE and ABUSE, something DARE officers can't seem to grasp.
I'd be far more worried about the fluoride in commercial water supplies making people docile than somebody lighting up a bowl from time to time.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Likewise our brain naturally produces cannabinoids,

Do you mean that we have cannabinoid receptors?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:10 AM
link   

Can you produce evidence to support your claim that the brain naturally produces cannabinoids?

Thanks

Human Brains Make Their Own 'Marijuana'

Date:

April 20, 2009

Source:

Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology

Summary:

Scientists have discovered that the brain manufactures proteins that act like marijuana at specific receptors in the brain itself. This discovery may lead to new marijuana-like drugs for managing pain, stimulating appetite and preventing marijuana abuse.

U.S. and Brazilian scientists have discovered that the brain manufactures proteins that act like marijuana at specific receptors in the brain itself. This discovery may lead to new marijuana-like drugs for managing pain, stimulating appetite, and preventing marijuana abuse.

"Ideally, this development will lead to drugs that bind to and activate the THC receptor, but are devoid of the side effects that limit the usefulness of marijuana," said Lakshmi A. Devi of the Department of Pharmacology and Systems Therapeutics at Mount Sinai School of Medicine in New York and one of the senior researchers involved in the study. "It would be helpful to have a drug that activated or blocked the THC receptor, and our findings raise the possibility that this will lead to effective drugs with fewer side effects."

"The War on Drugs has hit very close to home," said Gerald Weissmann, M.D., Editor-in-Chief of The FASEB Journal. "Last year, scientists found that our skin makes its own marijuana-like substance. Now, we see that our brain has been making proteins that act directly on the marijuana receptors in our head. The next step is for scientists to come up with new medicines that eliminate the nasty side of pot—a better joint, so to speak."

www.sciencedaily.com...

BTW, in case you didn't know there are ways to make your body produce more of these substances without the need to use drugs. Certain Buddhist monks are able to do this, but it is not easy to achieve.

You can also achieve similar results by making moderate water fasting which induces your body and brain to make more of these natural cannabinoids and other pain relieving natural chemicals.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Fully reap benefits from cannabis huh?... I guess that's why you went to Mexico, because you couldn't do it in the states?

I wonder who is truly spouting lies, and propaganda.

What are you implying here? I really don't know what you are getting at but it sounds suggestive and insulting in the extreme.

Just so this is clear, I did not decide to retire in Mexico for any reasons related to drugs, cannabis, or any other illicit or immoral reasons. I believe you are out of line.

edit on 8-9-2014 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone

Do you mean that we have cannabinoid receptors?

These natural cannabinoids are called endocannabinoids.

Endocannabinoids

Humans and animals alike naturally synthesize endocannabinoids, chemical compounds that activate the same receptors as delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC), the active component of marijuana (Cannabis sativa). Cannabis is famous for its significant psychoactive effects. Its ability to provide relief to chronic pain sufferers, to induce an increase in appetite, to alleviate nausea, and to ease anxiety are only some of the common uses for hemp.

emedicine.medscape.com...

This is what I mean.

Cannabinoids produced in the human body have an anti-inflammatory effect

Jun 07, 2007

Endocannabinoids seem to play an important role in regulating inflammation processes. Scientists from the University of Bonn have discovered this in experiments on mice. Their results will be published in the distinguished scientific journal Science on Friday, 8 June. The study may also have implications for therapy. In animal experiments, a solution with an important component made from cannabis reduced allergic reactions of the skin.

phys.org...

edit on 8-9-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: correct errors.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Erongaricuaro

Then I apologise. However, know that the use of the sentence "to fully reap all the rewards fom hemp" would seem to imply such a use, since that would imply about "all its uses".
edit on 8-9-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join