It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Doug Darrell Acquitted Of Marijuana Charges Through Jury Nullification In New Hampshire

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ElectricUniverse

That's some scary stuff dude. I'm glad that it is so hard to find and unregulated.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:34 PM
link   
a reply to: intrepid

No your right that's a different topic all together but your right.

That's a topic that deserves it's own thread.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

www.addictionjournal.org...

...contrary to perceptions among students, doctors say marijuana is especially harmful to kids for two key reasons:

First, new research shows... young people who start using marijuana before age 18 are much more likely than adults to become addicted to the drug.

Kids are much more likely to become addicted to a non-addictive substance?? Right. I suppose the answer there is that cannabis is 'addictive' in the same manner as fast-foods, sugar, video games, etc. And the next point is that cannabis is somehow worse or enough so to warrant draconian laws and measures that deliberately set about to create massive hardships if not altogether ruin lives and livelihoods? No, no to all those.

Been there, done those, ain't buyin' it. Prohibition, by far, generates the worst effects regarding cannabis, and that is deliberate, deceitful, dishonest, destructive, and just plain wrong.

edit on 7-9-2014 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Erongaricuaro

You should check out the kids today man. Coffee. They're scarfing it down. Caffeine is the new (whatever).

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Senators
a reply to: onequestion

You ever think about, oh I don't know, maybe changing the law first?

When you advocate for simply ignoring laws, even those you do not like, it never leads to a good ending. You end up with things like the OJ Simpson verdict where people now decide court cases based on their feelings and beliefs rather than anything to do with the law.

You must not know what jury nullification is. OJ was found not guilty because the jury didn't find sufficient evidence to convict him. To be found not guilty under jury nullification someone would have had to think that murder is not really a crime, I highly doubt that was the case.

Have you ever tried to change a law? Or make one? Not really something everyday citizens have access to. The only way laws can be changed are through things like this. If enough people start doing this, that will get the law changed. Nullification can be part of that process. It's literally the reason it's allowed to happen.

What they did is 100% legal in our justice system, and since you apparently think it can do no wrong, what's your beef?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: onequestion

Here is another abstract research that shows how cannabis inhibits learning.

Cannabis use and cognitive function: 8-year trajectory in a young adult cohort

Robert J. Tait1,*,
Andrew Mackinnon1,2 and
Helen Christensen1

Article first published online: 17 OCT 2011

DOI: 10.1111/j.1360-0443.2011.03574.x

ABSTRACT

Aim To evaluate the relationship between change in cannabis use and changed cognitive performance over 8 years.

Design We used survey methodology with a cohort design.

Setting and participants An Australian community sample aged 20–24 years at baseline.

Measures We assessed cognitive performance with the California Verbal Learning Test (CVLT) (immediate and delayed), Spot-the-Word test (STW), Symbol Digit Modality test (S'___') and Digit Backwards (DB). Groups of cannabis users were defined from self-reports across three waves as: ‘never’ (n= 420) ‘remain light’ (n= 71), ‘former light’ (n= 231), ‘remain heavy’ (n= 60), ‘former heavy’ (n= 60) and ‘always former’ (since start of study) (n= 657). Planned contrasts within mixed model repeated-measures analysis of variance was used for longitudinal analysis with an adjusted alpha of 0.01.

Findings Data were obtained from 2404 participants with 1978 (82.3%) completing wave 3. At baseline there were significant differences between cannabis groups on CVLT (immediate and delayed) and S'___'. However, after controlling for education, gender, gender × group and gender × wave, there were no significant between-group differences and only CVLT immediate recall reached adjusted statistically significant longitudinal change associated with changed cannabis use (group × wave P= 0.007). Specifically, former heavy users improved their performance relative to remaining heavy users (estimated marginal means: former heavy 6.1–7.5: remain heavy 6.4–6.6).

Conclusions Cessation of cannabis use appears to be associated with an improvement in capacity for recall of information that has just been learned. No other measures of cognitive performance were related to cannabis after controlling for confounds.

onlinelibrary.wiley.com...

As for some of the other detrimenta effects of mj.

“It affects brain processing, decision-making, impulsivity and memory.”

Riggs said there’s little question among doctors that marijuana can be beneficial for a small percentage of patients who have cancer, multiple sclerosis, glaucoma or nausea from HIV treatment.

But that doesn’t mean it’s safe or healthy for kids.

“There’s no medical indication for medical marijuana in young people at all,” she said. “It’s not a medication. There are 400 other chemicals and many carcinogens in smoked marijuana.

co.chalkbeat.org...

The majority of the claims that "mj is great and good for you" comes from the very same people who want more clients to buy their product.

BTW, also the chemicals and carcinogens found in cannabis depend on several factors but normally there are at least 50 carcinogens found normally in cannabis smoke.

...The substances in cannabis smoke

Cannabis smoke contains many of the same cancer causing substances (carcinogens) as tobacco - at least 50 of them. In addition, cannabis is often mixed with tobacco when smoked.

One of these carcinogens is benzyprene. Benzyprene is in the tar of both tobacco and cannabis cigarettes. We know that benzyprene causes cancer. It alters a gene called p53, which is a tumour suppressor gene. We know that 3 out of 4 lung cancers (75%) occur in people who have faulty p53 genes. The p53 gene is also linked to many other cancers.

Cannabis also contains a substance called THC (tetrahydrocannabinol). It is the THC in the cannabis that changes your mood and behaviour. The amount of THC in a cannabis cigarette varies considerably. Researchers have shown that THC causes benzpyrene to promote the p53 gene to change. But other researchers have looked at the effects of pure THC on brain tumour cells and found that it killed them in laboratory tests. This is a long way from using it as a treatment. But you can see from this that the evidence on cannabis causing cancer is confusing.

www.cancerresearchuk.org...

But like i said, as an adult you decide what you want to do. You want to smoke tobacco? it's your decision. You want to smoke cannabis? It's your decision, but both do have carcinogens and can cause cancer. Not to mention that cannabis affects your motor skills negatively and your reaction to events are severely slowed for 24 hours at least by the use of the drug.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Yes, we get it. We always have. Are YOU listening or is this just a one way, well I don't know what you call a one way discussion?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Cannabis is non-addictive?... Sorry but real doctors and research says the contrary. You should know, you are in Mexico, a place where most of people's liberties have been taken away but there is cannabis and a cartel trying to sell you cannabis and other drugs in every corner.

Try buying a gun to defend yourself or your family in Mexico... But hey you have full access to any drug you want and several competitors, if they don't kill each other or kill innocent people who find themselves somehow involved...

edit on 7-9-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

So in essence, you don't want to know the facts. You just want to believe what you want to belive. I've got it, don't worry.

What i don't get is this apparent belief that it should be okay to lie to minors and propagate such lies not only to minors but even to adults by claiming "cannabis is great and has no negative effects".
edit on 7-9-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: add comment

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Actually he lives in southern Mexico. No cartels. They are way north. Totally different environment. This Canadian knew that muchacho.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   

No. I'm saying we get it and you're trippin.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Well there's cartels they just aren't competing for the border market they are just intermediaries

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: intrepid

Actually he lives in southern Mexico. No cartels. They are way north. Totally different environment. This Canadian knew that muchacho.

Oh, I see. So i guess you know nothing about the Oaxaca cartel from southern Mexico among others... Supongo que no sabes tanto como piensas muchacho. (I guess you don't know as much as you thought young one)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Supongo que no sabes tanto como piensas muchacho

Guess not know as much as you think boy

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:37 PM
link   

originally posted by: onequestion

Supongo que no sabes tanto como piensas muchacho

Guess not know as much as you think boy

Well, in Spanish you don't have to repeat, or say pronouns as much as you do in English. And the word boy would be more correctly translated as "chico" or "niño".

edit on 7-9-2014 by ElectricUniverse because: correct error.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElectricUniverse

Cannabis is non-addictive?... Sorry but real doctors and research says the contrary. You should know, you are in Mexico, a place where most of people's liberties have been taken away...

That's right, non-addictive. I gave you 'habit-forming' perhaps, in the same manner as fast-food, sugar, and video games, but not addictive as one may speak of opiates and truly addictive substances.

Your next points, yes, I do know, and I also know about liberties in Mexico, and the US as well. You have put up biased propoganda as your arguments against cannabis and it has been invalidated and shown to be that is just what it is. You continue to invalidate yourself in the same manner speaking of loss of liberties and the grave dangers of living in Mexico. Clearly you do not know. Thanks for drinking the kool-aid, you are clearly out of your depths.

Jury nullification is perhaps the best protection we have if having to go through the system until this insanity is rectified and we can once again fully reap the benefits offered by cannabis hemp and its varied and most useful products.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Erongaricuaro
Been there, done those, ain't buyin' it. Prohibition, by far, generates the worst effects regarding cannabis, and that is deliberate, deceitful, dishonest, destructive, and just plain wrong.

Like i said, draconian laws don't exist to just take away your access to MJ. In fact there are more draconian laws that have NOTHING to do with MJ and have everything to do about liberties that matter more than making a drug legal.

As for prohibition, first I never said anything about prohibition, but I do think mj should be regulated. At least make it harder and harder for minors to get and give harsh punishment to the pot growers who sell to minors. Same for those people who sell other illegal drugs or even controlled substances to minors.

Drugs like MJ are imo the only thing that should be regulated so as to make it harder for minors to get them. Like I said, as an adult you can decide to do whatever you want to do with our life.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: Erongaricuaro

Jury nullification is perhaps the best protection we have if having to go through the system until this insanity is rectified and we can once again fully reap the benefits offered by cannabis hemp and its varied and most useful products.

Fully reap benefits from cannabis huh?... I guess that's why you went to Mexico, because you couldn't do it in the states?

I wonder who is truly spouting lies, and propaganda.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Are you not aware of the various different uses medically as well as what we can do with hemp fiber?

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aleister
People shouldn't be able to flaunt the law like that.

Actually it's the law that juries can find people not guilty by disregarding the law itself.

Remember checks and balances? Congress passes laws and the courts can negate them.... Not only judges have this power. Juries are supposed to have the power to let someone slide on the laws too.

This is how our founders envisioned democracy. If someone in a neighborhood grows pot, and 12 random jurors from that neighborhood don't care, then LEAVE THEM ALONE!

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join