It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monsoon Floods Kill Nearly 300 in Pakistan, India

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Torrential rain in India is causing severe flooding and destroying lives.

SRINAGAR, India (AP) — Landslides and flash floods triggered by heavy monsoon rains have killed nearly 300 people in large swaths of northern India and Pakistan, officials said Sunday.

Five days of incessant rains in Indian-controlled Kashmir have left at least 120 people dead in the region's worst flooding in more than five decades, submerging hundreds of villages and triggering landslides, officials said. In neighboring Pakistan, more than 160 people have died and thousands of homes have collapsed, with an official saying the situation was becoming a "national emergency."

In many of Srinagar's neighborhoods, the water was about 4 meters (12 feet) deep, submerging entire houses. Stranded residents left their homes to move in with friends or relatives in safer areas.

This has happened before but not this bad according to sources there in India. What says ATS?

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:52 AM
link   
a reply to: lostbook

I guess by the lack of response of this thread after being up for an hour is that no one cares what happens "Over There".

Thanx for the info.

If it happened here...the net would explode for weeks.

Peace

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

I guess by the lack of response of this thread after being up for an hour is that no one cares what happens "Over There".

Thanx for the info.

Peace

Dont forget that many people are on weekend Jude throughout the world.

Tis a sad thing indeed to witness these deaths.

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: jude11

Thanx for the info.

Peace

Yes, the lack of response shows people's lack of interest. There are several geological events occuring right now which are not being talked about on ATS. Doom and Gloom burn-out?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Yes, the tragedies that are happening all over are starting to wear on me, especially since I was kind of out of the loop on world events for most of the summer, but to be fair, I just saw this thread.

I do care. I care about everything going on everywhere, whether natural or not, and my heart hurts. I am especially sad because it's not something I can do anything about. I can't just hop a plane and help, although I truly, truly wish I could. I'm broke and have children at home to care for (which is why i'm broke lol) . I love my children but there are times when I think about what my life would have been like if I went in a different direction, allowing myself the freedom to get involved in humanitarian efforts. I would if I could and i'm not just saying it, I truly mean it.

If I had the means and the money, I wouldn't just give to charity, I would go somewhere and use my money and time directly. I'm not apathetic at all, I'm just powerless.

If governments weren't so corrupt, there would be no such thing as a country having third-world status (not that a mudslide has anything to do with that) but because things like this that happen in these areas, the infrastructure is so bad and poverty levels are so high, high death rates seem to be a given.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:22 PM
link   
So, are monsoons a new thing there?

Reminds me of people complaining about lava in their living room when they live next to a volcano.

edit on 7-9-2014 by jajaja because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Monsoons are not new there, but this is particularly tragic. It's horrible that this happened and despite it being "over there" it's still relevant. Disasters seem to be happening in increasing numbers, especially natural ones.

I understand the world's more connected, information is received and transmitted quicker so we're more aware of what the Earth has been doing since it existed. But, it does seem like these incidents are occurring more frequently.

We've turned our backs on nature and eachother. Like a spoiled child, I think one day we'll be set straight. Maybe not in our lifetimes but one day. S + F

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Nature always wins, don't fight it, it bites back harder.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoherentlyConfused
Yes, the tragedies that are happening all over are starting to wear on me, especially since I was kind of out of the loop on world events for most of the summer, but to be fair, I just saw this thread.

I do care. I care about everything going on everywhere, whether natural or not, and my heart hurts. I am especially sad because it's not something I can do anything about. I can't just hop a plane and help, although I truly, truly wish I could. I'm broke and have children at home to care for (which is why i'm broke lol) . I love my children but there are times when I think about what my life would have been like if I went in a different direction, allowing myself the freedom to get involved in humanitarian efforts. I would if I could and i'm not just saying it, I truly mean it.

If I had the means and the money, I wouldn't just give to charity, I would go somewhere and use my money and time directly. I'm not apathetic at all, I'm just powerless.

If governments weren't so corrupt, there would be no such thing as a country having third-world status (not that a mudslide has anything to do with that) but because things like this that happen in these areas, the infrastructure is so bad and poverty levels are so high, high death rates seem to be a given.

This!.

Agree with everything you say as a family man I would love to do the same but have responsibilities to my children and spouse

I also care and always reflect on world matters and do what i can , give to charity etc but on a grand scheme when am financially stable, kids are independant (mortgage cleared etc) I'd love to jump at the chance to help others, I find its when i feel at best helping others

new topics

top topics

join