It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: House Said Ready for Anti-Terror Bill Vote

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 02:17 PM
link   
It appears that a compromise has been reached and the House of Representatives appears set to vote on revamping the intelligence services of the United States. A deal with the chief House Republican opposing the legislation has been reached according to negotiators. President Bush has been pushing hard for the reform to occur before Congress adjourns.

story.news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - Congressional negotiators reached a deal Monday with the chief House Republican opponent of legislation revamping the nation's intelligence agencies, clearing the way for a final vote, a House GOP leader said.

The development came as President Bush pressed Congress for swift action, saying the legislation was "important for the security of our country."

Rep. Deborah Pryce, R-Ohio, chairman of the House Republican Conference, said House Armed Services chairman Duncan Hunter struck a deal with Senate and House negotiators that will remove his objections to the bill.

House Speaker Dennis Hastert had refused to move the legislation before Thanksgiving because of objections from GOP chairmen like Hunter and House Judiciary chairman James Sensenbrenner, R-Wis.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is a key reform and is being opposed by many House Republicans despite President Bush�s desire to have it passed. While everybody expected the Presidents term to be a rubber stamp for at least two years, the first major legislation has been stalled by his own party. I guess he may have spent all his political capital in the weeks after the election. It is unclear is the divide will hinder Bush�s aggressive second term agenda.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
ATS: The New CIA Director Has A Plan For the Future

posted on Dec, 6 2004 @ 02:56 PM
link   
REVAMP...HUMMMM
Is it just me (i hope it is) that wonders what this bill will change...
all the articles i have found will say only that it will revamp our intellegence...
How? and where are our civil rights being violated this time? I really hope i am just a big ignorant fool here... (feel free to agree).
Has anyone read what changes will be made, and will any more "limits" to our civil rights involved?...
will i now have to fill out a request in triplicate before i can recuse my government for anyting it does? will they be able to pick apart my tax return at will? Will i have to give 20 cents a year to books for the blind, or music for the deaf? it has all been a bit ambigous...
I like to know what gruel my government is force feeding me...

join