It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How your 'innocent' smartphone passes on almost your entire life to the secret service!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:14 AM
link   
a reply to: Aliensun

Absolutely! Whats crazy is that we are surrounded by devices whose sole purpose is to take away our freedom, by pretending to give us more freedom!

Heck, use a cell phone/internet/credit cards/ and you get psychologically profiled in a weeks time.

Cameras on the roads, malls, Google feeds shared across, internet, phones, financial transactions....everywhere we go, we are tagged, marked, recorded and slotted. Why?

I get extremely jittery when a government says that it takes a step for our own good. Or is mine a voice in the wilderness????

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:18 AM
link   
a reply to: Biigs

The biggest thing that you have going for you, is that you are aware.

Need to figure out how to minimize exposure, while using whatever is available.

I do not know why powers that be or law enforcement feels it is necessary to tag, mark and slot every single individual on earth, but I have got a very bad feeling about where its headed.

Security is what is given as an excuse....

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:24 AM
link   
a reply to: Charismagic

If you were a person of interest, I'd say ok, take some precautions.

BUT, the average Joe has nothing of value to them or do you think they care about your secret little sexting, what sites you visited and what you post on facebook? Seriously who cares??

And if you still think that this is something that bothers you, well don't buy a smartphone or no cell phone at all! It's not like the president is going to call you anytime soon.

edit on 7-9-2014 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Charismagic
a reply to: Restricted

Reality? Or are you just being cynical?

You are aware.....do people really understand the depths of the word privacy and its implications?

I truly wonder...

There is no privacy. There hasn't been any for years. Anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Privacy is dead.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Hellas

"Seriously, who cares?"

Seriously ???

Then privacy is not your concern, obviously. And you are definitely not bothered by anyone snooping around on your private life, or the fact that anyone can, if so interested? Despite the fact that you are a "person of interest" or not?

Oh I get it now!! All that Snowden managed to do when he raised the issue of normal citizens being spied upon, was for people to go, "hey I am not a person of interest, so who cares?" right?? What a waste of a life!!

BTW, I don't use a cell...did at one time, but after having worked in the telecom space for 10 years, thankfully, no longer own one.

And you can keep hoping for a call from the president, with your cellphone, since I am assuming that you have one, and that's what you are expecting from your post above, although if I were you, a kind word of advice, don't hold your breath.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Restricted

Unfortunately yes. Truer words were never spoken.

That does lead to the next question....what now?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Thecakeisalie
a reply to: Charismagic
I should've screwed with them a bit and talked about accordion flavored Banana pants-try finding a match for that suckers!

You would be getting ads for Weird Al Yankovich albums.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Few people will give up their smartphones for privacy. I won't, admittedly.

Years ago I was paranoid and thought it was a big deal.

It's just the price we pay for moving forward with tech that can potentially give you so many abilities in every which way.

There's nothing I do which will get me escalated enough to be bothered, and if they are bothering me, they're doing a piss poor job.

I'm enjoying my life, having a blast, and doing whatever I want within reason.

You don't want the latest tech goodies? I'm okay with that. I can't wait to upgrade to the s6 next year.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:28 AM
link   
This was old news last decade, if you're only just learning about this, you have a lot of catching up to do.

The person commenting about Google reading his main, read their terms of service. They make it quite clear that they are going to read your mail by automated means, pick out keywords, in order to supply targeted advertising. Like it or not, thats been in their terms of service since they opened their mail service. Google's entire raison d'être (reason for existence) is to sell advertising on their services. Its where their money comes from.

I wish people would take the time to read the terms and conditions of such services, rather than blindly clicking "I Accept", then whining about things that are in the T&C later.

posted on Sep, 8 2014 @ 04:56 AM
link   
So many organizations already hold plenty of information about us. Just about any organization that collects data on us, for the purposes of government / local census / loan agreement / mobile phone contract data etc, the information is sold on to marketing agencies. In short, the data protection act is a joke!

Add to that the collection of data by the spooky alphabet agencies. Metadata is pretty meaningless without content for some context, which is why I don't believe them when they say they only collect the metadata! Thus, we are all catalogued, tracked, monitored in some way or another all the time, even when we think we are not providing data on the internet or via smartphones.

An example of this was when I turned 50 earlier this year. On that day, I started seeing banner ads for over 50's holidays / cruises and, more worryingly, funeral expenses savings plans!

At no time have I ever put anything online with my birth date or age, so where did the information come from to allow those ad providers to target me with those ads?

posted on Sep, 10 2014 @ 01:37 PM
link   

On tonight, live from 10PM Eastern time!

Show thread with listening information

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join