It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Firelight, smoke and cooking smell giving your position away

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: tovenar
If you are in a survival situation that includes societal collapse, how do you plan to cook food?

If you camp in the woods, enemies can spot the light of your campfire

People can see smoke from your fire for miles

Everyone can smell what you are cooking.

What plans have you made, and what recommendations can you give, for not giving away your presence in the midst of a crisis?

Dig a pit at the foot of a tree. Line the bottom with whatever fuel you intend to cook with. Half burnt chunks of log or bark work best. Start a small fire in the bottom. What you want here are embers--something like homemade charcoal--that require very little oxygen to burn and produce very little smoke. Next place a couple of smooth stones or chunks of metal among the coals. Arrange a frame of sticks on top of them. Place your meat or covered pot in next. Add another frame of sticks over the food, and then fill in your pit with loose debris such as bark or sticks first and then dried leaves (you don't want your dried leaves in contact with flame). I've kept embers burning for days this way as a source of heat I even slept on top of, with little to no visible smoke.

A second option is to find a hollow log wet from rain or located in a damp low lying area, and build a fire of embers as described above, inside it. You'll get some smoke at first, but as the fire burns down and the embers heat up, a lot less of it will be visible. Rock overhangs covered in moss or lichen also absorb smoke pretty well if you build a fire beneath them.

Certain pungent plants such as skunk cabbage can help to cover the scent of cooking food and smoke also.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 11:58 PM
link   
Cook during the daylight hours using either a Fresnel lens or a parabolic mirror. No wood to gather.

If you have to cook after dark or there is an overcast day you can build a shelter to allow smoke out the top while blocking most of the light from outside. Like a Tipi or a tent with a smoke flap.

As for the smell I think it would be hard for a human to tell where the smell is coming from if there was even the slightest breeze.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: tovenar

Check how to make a dakota fire pit. Also if any fire has enough circulation smoke will be minimal to zero.
Firepiston

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 12:06 AM
link   
a reply to: generik
Took page from charlies book for that reason .. ate what charlie did .. dressed like charlie .. didnt use colognes or western deoderants - theres a natural mineral one that works far better lasts longer and doesnt have odour .. yep can smell a westerner from several klicks away due their body odour ..

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I'll just run around lighting fires everywhere and the enemy will never know which fire is the one I'm roasting marshmallows over. And then, if the fires get out of control I'll be warm at night and have freshly cooked bear for breakfast.

Im not going to make it in the new world, am I..

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Earth Oven

or

edit on 7-9-2014 by ParanoidAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: jude11
And a Big Mac can last for years...

Peace

That might not be a bad idea, has anyone actually tried to eat an old big Mac? Are they dried out? Even if they are they might taste better than normal jerky. This might be the cheapest dried food available. Maybe you can order 1000 Big Macs from you local store at special price.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:58 AM
link   
a reply to: DrumsRfun

thanks for that

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: sn0rch
I'll just run around lighting fires everywhere and the enemy will never know which fire is the one I'm roasting marshmallows over. And then, if the fires get out of control I'll be warm at night and have freshly cooked bear for breakfast.

You might get lucky and people think it an army out there rather than one person ..

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Unity_99
Are you really planning to live like that? Just focus on things like: energy devices, how to erect mud hurts if needed, how to grow garden and aquaponics and think of spreading the know how outwards to get villages going. Never ever think of lone wolf survival, because thats not what we're here for.

Of course that's what we're here for as well. All those things you described are great. But we need to focus on the what ifs as well. What if you are in a lone wolf situation. What if you have non friendlies near by, and are limited on what you can use or do. What if you are evading? Or just don't want to attract attention? Yes in a survival situation like many prepare for it is very realistic to be seperated, surrounded, and I'll equipped. Go ahead and get your gizmos, and gadgets for survival, heck, I got a butt load, but train like you don't have them, train if you would be by yourself, train in light, litter, noise discipline. The rest is cake, and will only be force multipliers. BTW I've eaten every MRE out there cold, or room temp, and they aren't too bad compared to some of the stuff you got to forage for. Besides this thread seems like it's the (just in case scenario, not for long term purposes.)
edit on 7/9/14 by gunshooter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheLieWeLive
Cook during the daylight hours using either a Fresnel lens or a parabolic mirror. No wood to gather.

If you have to cook after dark or there is an overcast day you can build a shelter to allow smoke out the top while blocking most of the light from outside. Like a Tipi or a tent with a smoke flap.

As for the smell I think it would be hard for a human to tell where the smell is coming from if there was even the slightest breeze.

Good ideas, except for the last, I would think that the smell, even from the slightest breeze could bring in a chopper maybe, or even a drone sent up, and if they have dogs, you're plain screwed. Also, if there is a large enough force they could easily widen the search just on a scent. Who knows, I'm just trying to cover all variables.....

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: sn0rch

LOL, you get a star just for that last line!

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: Expat888
There are ways of building fire that put off less smoke along with keep it from being spotted at a distance.
Theres also the heat tabs the military use to cook over .. sterno .. or my favorite method from my days with s.o.g break off a small piece of c4 light it and proceed to cook .. (*note* do NOT stomp on the c4 to put it out once you finished cooking )

If to lazy to make fire .. after catch fish make sashimi no cooking required ..

break off a small piece of c4 light it and proceed to cook .. (*note* do NOT stomp on the c4 to put it out once you finished cooking )
Man that brought back some memories ! I did not know stomping on it could cause "one leg shorter syndrome" I always thought it took a small electric charge.. never stomped it to find out ! It took such a small amount that by the time the water was boiled for coffee or the Beanie weenies were heated it had usually burned itself out.. anyway..

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 05:28 AM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Had a couple geniuses who thought theyd try it before it burned itself out .. with the to be expected result ensuing ...

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Build a big white man fire so the whole world can see and make fake people sitting around it with clothes and straw. When others come it to take your fire and food and clothes off you're back ambush them and take their clothes and food and guns ect...

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:07 AM
link   
There's a lot of good ideas here. But you can't hide from a drone.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Short response: Take all of the official US MREs you can pack. They are loaded with calories which you will need. While each pac is supposedly for one meal, one can easily be enough for a day during hard times.

You can buy them online from the suppliers for the military or you can get them cheaper at "Army-Navy" stores around -military bases at about 5 to 7 bucks a pop. There, some come in individually from the troops and/or the stores may order from the makers directly to have them on hand. (The official MREs also have vegetarian meals.)

You can buy packable, freeze-dried foods from smaller individual companies on-line and even at Walmart and high-dollar sports outfits, but you CANNOT beat price or content of the official MREs for packable foods on the run.

Edit: I forgot to mention that today's MREs come with an included carbide heater pac to warm the entree. It produces a small amount of gas, acetylene to cause the heat, but no flame or light.

edit on 7-9-2014 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Rcindica
There's a lot of good ideas here. But you can't hide from a drone.

Are "they" really going to "drone" ame loner in the woods?

Seriously in a shtf scenario, you are worried about drone?

Iwould think that they would use all available resources to combat the shtf scenario in the cities.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Dakota fire hole and a vegetation dome built over top to defuse any smoke and disguises the smell. Cook and move in no more than 20 mins and eat on the go.

survivaltopics.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: liejunkie01

Well 'they' have thousands of drones and yes I think they will use them. After they have taken control of the cities the next logical step would be to deal with the stragglers in the woods.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join