It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Member of Russian Duma speaks out - Ilya Ponomarev

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Member of Russian Duma speaks out - Ilya Ponomarev, a member of the Russian State Duma, is the only one to vote against the annexation of Crimea.

The above is a video link to an CNN interview with lya Ponomarev, a member of the Russian Duma (he self identifies as a communist but is now part of the Alliance of Greens and Social-Democrats ). According to him the Russian Federation has in fact invaded Ukraine and also confirms secret funerals for Russian soldiers who have been killed in Ukraine.

My guess would be this politician will end up either in prison or will be mysteriously killed. As of now he is being jerked around by the Russian government on travel.

An interesting viewpoint from inside the Russian government.

Background info:
Wikipedia - lya Ponomarev

a Russian left-wing politician, member of the State Duma and a technology entrepreneur. Ponomarev has more than 20 years of prominent political stance, complemented with international operational and investment experience working in high technology industries with a primary focus on IT and energy.

Opposition to Putin

In 2012, Ponomarev and fellow MP Dmitry G. Gudkov took a leadership role in street protests against Putin's rule.[2] Following the 4 March presidential election, in which Putin was elected for his third term as president, Ponomarev accused the government of unfair vote-counting practices, stating that the election should have been close enough for a run-off.[17] In May, Ponomarev criticized Putin's decision to retain Igor Shuvalov in his cabinet despite a corruption scandal.[18] The following month, Ponomarev and Gudkov led a filibuster against a bill by Putin's United Russia party allowing large fines for anti-government protesters; though the filibuster was unsuccessful, the action attracted widespread attention.[2] Later among several other politicians Ponomarev successfully challenged this piece of legislation in Constitutional Court, partially rolling the situation back.

In June 2012, Ponomarev made a speech in the Duma in which he called United Russia members "swindlers and thieves", a phrase originally used by anti-corruption activist Aleksei Navalny. In September same year, Duma members voted to censure Ponomarev and bar him from speaking for one month. United Russia members also proposed charging him with defamation.[19]

Russian attempts to silence

In October 2012, the pro-government news channel NTV aired a documentary which accused Ponomarev's aide Leonid Razvozzhayev of arranging a meeting between another opposition leader, the Left Front's Sergei Udaltsov, and a Georgian official Givi Targamadze, for the purpose of overthrowing President Vladimir Putin.[32] A spokesman for Russian investigators stated that the government was considering terrorism charges against Udaltsov,[32] and Razvozzhayev, Udaltsov, and Konstantin Lebedev, an assistant of Udaltsov's, were charged with "plotting mass riots".[33] Razvozzhayev fled to Kiev, Ukraine, where he applied for asylum from the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees, but disappeared after leaving the office for lunch.[32] He resurfaced in Moscow three days later, where the website Life News caught him on tape leaving a Moscow courthouse, shouting that he had been abducted and tortured.[32][34] A spokesman for Russia's Investigative Committee stated that Razvozzhayev had not been abducted, but had turned himself in freely and volunteered a confession of his conspiracy with Udaltsov and Lebedev to cause widespread rioting.[32]

Vladimir Burmatov, a United Russia MP, called on Ponomarev to resign from the State Duma for his association with Razvozzhayev.[35]

In August 2014 both Udaltsov and Razvozzhayev were sentenced to 4.5 years in camp.

Duma talks about removing him

Ponomarev was the only member of the State Duma to vote against annexation of Crimea during the 2014 Russian invasion of Ukraine.[36] Despite being very critical over 2014 Ukrainian revolution as being driven by alliance of neoliberals and nationalists, he justified his position in Duma with necessity to keep friendly relations with "brotherly Ukrainian nation", avoid military confrontation at all costs, and debated that Russia's actions in Crimea will push Ukraine outside traditional sphere of Russian influence and might provoke further expansion of NATO.[37] After being the only deputy to oppose the annexation in a 445-1 landslide vote many people called for his resignation, however Ponomarev responded that deputies can not be prosecuted or removed simply for the way they vote in parliament. Other then being threatened with censure and expulsion the parliament took no further action regarding the status of Ponomarev as deputy.[38] At the same time in August 2014 federal bailiffs have frozen Ponomarev's bank accounts and announced that they will not allow him to leave Russia anymore.

Interviews

Referendum in Donetsk "Bogus"

** I have been unable to find the CNN video on youtube so for now, until we can locate it, you will have to use the CNN link above to watch. **
edit on 6-9-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

edit on Sun Sep 7 2014 by DontTreadOnMe because: snipped over-long quote IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Xcathdra

He is looking very unhappy and genuinely frightened. I've heard he decided not to go back to Russia.
Yes, he was the only Duma parlamentarian who abstained on Crimea question.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: kitzik

He is looking very unhappy and genuinely frightened. I've heard he decided not to go back to Russia.
Yes, he was the only Duma parlamentarian who abstained on Crimea question.

I thought he voted no (which is different than abstaining from the vote).

The other question I have to those more familiar is how much support does he have among the people? He is still in government even though, essentially, the entire Russian government wants him gone.

Does he represent the silent majority of those who support putin in public but not in private?
edit on 6-9-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:48 PM
link   
He will end up dead.

It's very unhealthy to go against Vlad.

Interesting Find

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I may check it again, but as far as I remember he abstained. edit
Yes, he voted against.

He representing more or less what is called "Bolot square opposition". In 2012 they may had 20-30% support in Moscow and much less in province. Now, I estimate he may have support like 5%.
Generally there is emigration out of Russia people like him in recent months.

edit on 6-9-2014 by kitzik because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 08:58 PM
link   

originally posted by: kitzik

I may check it again, but as far as I remember he abstained.

He representing more or less what is called "Bolot square opposition". In 2012 they may had 20-30% support in Moscow and much less in province. Now, I estimate he may have support like 5%.
Generally there is emigration out of Russia people like him in recent months.

So he is elected by the people then. I guess what confuses me is if he is so unpopular how has he stayed in office for as long as he had? Is he that popular in terms of speaking what others may think or is voting in Russia just as bad as it is in the US in terms of apathy.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:19 PM
link   

He is (or was) member of Duma, elected in the "party listing" from one the opposition parties, Duma or Parliament today is mostly decorative facade stamping whatever Putin administration proposes to them.
There is certain numbers from party listings and certain number from regions direct 1 mandate elections.
But I'm not expert how exactly their system works.
In brief, in different countries there are different systems of elections into main legislative body.
For example, in Israel all members of Knesset (Parliament) elected through party listings. Also in Israel there was a case when Arab member of Knesset defected to Syria and now wanted in Israel for treason, I think he is living in Qatar or Saudia.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Why does he sound to me like the people here on ATS that want change and don't like the way their government is doing things? He must be a trouble maker. No sense in making things better our pointing out that the Emperor is naked when others will refuse to see.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 09:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: whyamIhere
He will end up dead.

It's very unhealthy to go against Vlad.

Interesting Find

The fact that he is living suggests otherwise...

To project legitimacy, and more importantly to identify your subversives and opposition you must have a representative voice of opposition for dissenters to identify with.

Those who have supported, aided, or rallied behind this man in any way, should probably be watching their backs.

The Russians are devious and clever like that.

posted on Sep, 6 2014 @ 10:35 PM
link   
It seems to me he could actually not like Putin and the people running the country. I don't know if I would totally trust everything he says. I am sure there is some truth to it, Russia does not seem to deny they have troups in Ukraine. I don't know how much the Russians are really doing though, their troups probably are defending themselves.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: Dimithae

Why does he sound to me like the people here on ATS that want change and don't like the way their government is doing things? He must be a trouble maker. No sense in making things better our pointing out that the Emperor is naked when others will refuse to see.

Speaking out against the government does not make a person a trouble maker. The fact its a Russian member of Parliament, speaking on American news, while giving his personal view of what's occurring that contradicts Putins position, makes what he is doing heroic in my book.

Specifically knowing how the Russian government treats people who speak out against Putin and his actions (like the local politician being beat for confirming secret funerals along with a journalist).

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:31 AM
link   
a reply to: ausername

I am not so sure... This type of debate has occurred with Julian Assange and his actions. When you are one person among hundreds in a government who actions the one does not support, removing that person would not be as simple as some think.

His absence would be noticed, and it would be difficult for the ruling people to explain his death or incarceration.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 01:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
It seems to me he could actually not like Putin and the people running the country. I don't know if I would totally trust everything he says. I am sure there is some truth to it, Russia does not seem to deny they have troups in Ukraine. I don't know how much the Russians are really doing though, their troups probably are defending themselves.

Defending themselvess?

They entered a foreign country with their military equipment when they have no business doing so. Defending themselves is not a valid defense in that area.

As for trusting him - who knows. Its extremely unusual for this to occur in Russian politics, which is one of the reasons, at least to me, says their might be truth to it.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:19 AM
link   

Here is my issue, I was taught the old fashioned way,before you try to clean up the neighbor's yard,go take care of your own first. It is the easiest thing to do to point out about how another country is being aggressive,causing trouble, invading, attempting to over throw another country etc. But first and foremost,we need to look at ourselves and what we have done. Why? Because we lose all credibility with other countries and their citizens when we play the innocent nonsense and only OTHER countries are the aggressor.

That is just being Imperialistic. We are compared to ancient Rome by other countries and for good reason. We act pretty much like them. Don't like whats going on in government? Go watch Survivor and forget it. You may have a right to an education,by thanks to the government it won't be a very good one and it will be full of propaganda for what things do make it in the books. (look in a kids history book and you will see what I'm talking about).

Okay,so where does that leave us? Do we sit back while bad things happen in the world? YES, that is exactly what we do. People are dying everyday and we haven't been able to stop it yet. Countries will do what they will with they're people,and when it becomes too much for the people they will rise up OF THEIR OWN ACCORD, and do something about it. They don't need our help. For any rebellion there is a breaking point,when the government surpasses it then the people step up and stop it. Us getting involved only cause us to be greedy, create havoc,and ultimately take the blame when it blows up in our face. Then we are shocked when those people lash out at us,because:
1. Our government has not been truthful with us as to what has been going on in that country and our involvement in it.
2. Our citizens have been dumbed down by our education system to the point that we don't know our own history much less any other countries.
3. Our citizens would rather defend a corrupt oligarch than look at the Emperor and make the necessary changes we need to make this a top nation again.

Putin wasn't lying when he said that we are only number one in prisoners and military spending. The facts speak for themselves,and for a country with the citizenry we have,and the industries we have,and the knowledge we have, this is absolutely pathetic. WE CAN DO BETTER. But we need people brave enough to stand up and say "No more, we are going to dedicate ourselves to making this a better country even if it means throwing all of congress and the president out"!

Though from my posts it may seem I'm pro Russian,this is the furthest thing from the truth, I'm against our country for letting us down. I'm against our citizens for not voting on the issues, I'm against our congressmen and women for not listening to us about term limits, I'm against them for not listening to us about super pacs. Putin is one of the few leaders that will stand up to us,and for that I say "good for you". SOMEONE needs to, since after all, our citizens have dropped the ball with our government and won't hold their feet to the fire. And so this ends my rant. Agree or disagree with me,but I've been around for quite a few years now and this is not the country my parents told me to believe in.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 02:49 AM
link   

What a bunch of crap ... are you telling me, that there are people here on ATS, that actually are dumb enough to listen to this crap?

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Sorry for the long response.

Here is my issue, .... snipped for room / wall of text reduction.... are the aggressor.

In general I can agree with some of this. The focus though is on Ukraine and specifically speaking we don't have boots on the ground, we don't have a no fly zone and under Obama we are not going to militarily intervene. What we have done is provide money to their government, along with many other nations. On the flip side we have heard from our pro Russian friends that prior to Yanukovych's impeachment Russia provided Ukraine with money as well.

As for the other countries being aggressive and not the US I disagree. I think the US has been aggressive / aggressor in several areas. A lot of those decisions I don't agree with, while others I support hands down. What I see though in these forums is only the US being targeted. While the US has provided money to Ukraine, Russia has sent in military support. Secondly the US nor Russia are the only 2 countries involved, which is another area people ignore.

That is just being Imperialistic. ....snipped as above....what I'm talking about).

Imperialistic would denote a nation being more interested in conquering and annexing / colonizing foreign areas. When the founding fathers decided on our form of government, Franklin was asked by a woman what type of government did we get.

He replied a Republic, if you cant keep it.

Citizen participation is what our nation was founded on. Unfortunately apathy has broken parts of that government.

Okay,so where does ....snipped as above....

As for assisting other nations trying to change their government and how we should not be involved. All I can say to this is had it not been for the French there most likely never would have been a country named The United States of America. The French supported the colonists with weapons, financing and advisers.

There is a difference between a justified rebellion and a rebellion that is created by a 3rd party. As for being greedy I am assuming you are talking about oil and what not. If that's the case Chinese firms got the oil contracts in Iraq. Secondly we withdrew our forces from Iraq and accepted the fact Iraq and Iran are closer than before.

As with our government in the US, the government in Iraq gets it legitimacy from its people. Those people must be involved in order for their government to function.

Then we are shocked when those people lash out at us,because:
1. Our government has not been truthful with us as to what has been going on in that country and our involvement in it.
Specifically which country / incident are you referring to here?

2. Our citizens have been dumbed down by our education system to the point that we don't know our own history much less any other countries.

Education is a state matter, not federal.

3. Our citizens would rather defend a corrupt oligarch than look at the Emperor and make the necessary changes we need to make this a top nation again.

When America embraces its creative and exploration spirit, we could once again be great. I agree there is not much to look forward to with the US lately. We need something to reawaken that spirit - just like President Kennedy and President Reagan.

Putin wasn't lying when he said that we are ....snipped for room....only number one in prisoners and military spending. The facts speak for themselves,and for a country with the citizenry we have,and the industries we have,and the knowledge we have, this is absolutely pathetic. WE CAN DO BETTER...

I agree wholeheartedly with you here. We must get out internal affairs under control to the extent the government starts fearing the people again instead of vice versa.

That will only occur when we the people get involved,

Though from my posts it may seem I'm pro Russian,....snipped for room....my parents told me to believe in.

I want to clear something up - There is nothing wrong being Pro Russian and there is nothing wrong with being pro American. Reason being is both nations have been around for a few hundred plus years and the respective citizens in each have grown attached to it.

The problem is how those citizens have become detached from the government and how those governments act on behalf of the people.

I guess the ultimate question is -
Should the US keep to itself and ignore issues or should the US take a stand against nations bent on conquest / ethnic cleansing / genocide etc.

Is it not criminal for a nation, who is capable of stopping these issues, not to act?

At the very least the US is at least attempting to do something about those issues. We wont always get it right but I would rather try than do nothing.

We talk about our kids in the military and how we should not cross the street to stop an injustice that does not involve the US.

Why should be be involved?

Because, across the street, those individuals who are dying are someone else's kids.

edit on 7-9-2014 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: bjarneorn

What a bunch of crap ... are you telling me, that there are people here on ATS, that actually are dumb enough to listen to this crap?

Then refute the info contained in the op.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:41 AM
link   

How low have you fallen.

Now looking for Open Communists to support your world view and your arguments.

Tsk Tsk Tsk

You are like a fallen angel, except without wings, power, or angelic attributes.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Looks like ATS has turned into disinformation arena and Russians are already here. I refuse to believe, that people living in USA, not speaking Russian, not watching Russian TV can support Putin so blindly. Perhaps it is due to mistrust in their own government, but current state of USA politics in NO WAY gives Putin and his fiends right to treat Russia's neighboring countries like they do and spread lies in such global proportions. Just please look at the things objectively and don't praise Putin out of the hate for NWO or whatever. There are no saints in war.

posted on Sep, 7 2014 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I read this thread. I am amused.
I am amused because I live near Ukraine and have quite a lot of friends, including ones in high places, both from Ukraine and Russia.

That one guy stands up against vote in Duma is nothing impressive or important. Vladimir Putin keeps a quite large bunch of political opposition alive and well for them to give him a much-needed excuse of his entire government being "democratic". These are just sock puppets on payroll or people allowed to exist for the sake of appearances.

Russians consider Ukraine a part of Russia. Been that way for years.
Also, Putin needs both a support inside the country (hence his cultivated image of the rebuilder of an empire and defender of Russian people) and he wants to give NATO a slap to the face. NATO wanted Ukraine "in" as this would allow them closer to Russia and destabilize the power balance in the region even further in favor of NATO. Putin won't have that. So his intervention on Ukraine is a preemptive strike.

Putin WILL get hold of majority of Ukraine and NATO WILL NOT stop him because Ukraine is a destabilized, ravaged, poor country ruled by caste of money grabbing mafiosi and because nobody in NATO wants to pick up a fight with Russia over poor country with passable strategic importance. U.S. and EU had their chance during Orange Revolution that was orchestrated by them, but the failure of the new Ukrainian government and the following return to power by a pro-Russian Janukowycz only showed them that investing more money and efforts into snatching Ukraine away from Russia is futile.

The current uprising might've been orchestrated by Russia as well to give them reason to intervene and install their own puppet government.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join